Magnet at Southey Green

redcanuck

Anyone remember the Magnet at Southey Green?

When I was a kid in mid 60's my grandmother used to drink their regularly. She had a small table right near the bar and she beat a path to and from the bar all night.

Last time I was in Sheffield it stood empty and now I hear it has been torn down, I am sure there is at least one old lady turning in her grave.

I know full well about the bad reputation of the Magnet and have no quarrels about it being closed and finally torn down. The whole estate has gotten worse since the mid sixties when I lived on it.

The Magnet like a lot of Sheffield Pubs had a long and colourful history. I try to remember that rather than what a few idiots have done to destroy it.

My Dad used to tell me about ex Wednesday captain Ted Catlin being the landlord there for a time and about the tossing ring that was held in the court outside before the police shut it down.

I know full well about the bad reputation of the Magnet and have no quarrels about it being closed and finally torn down. The whole estate has gotten worse since the mid sixties when I lived on it.

The Magnet like a lot of Sheffield Pubs had a long and colourful history. I try to remember that rather than what a few idiots have done to destroy it.

Sadly that is the case fo lots of decent areas of Sheffiled and lots of other towns and cities.

My mum doesn't live far from Southey shops and a while ago when I was up for the weekend I had to get some toothpaste for my boys. I went toa samll supermarket across the road(possibly a Co-op) . I couldn't find it anywhere and I asked an assistant who told me it was kept behind the counter because too many tubes were being stolen! What do they do with it?