Mystery Bus Photo

Stuart0742

This photo is from a pile of Sheffield Bus photo's I have

The question is, is it a Sheffield bus, if so what is the location

Guest transit

....definately an ex-Sheffield bus! - looks like it has passed on to British Railways - if so the colour would be deep maroon and cream. Looks rather old and battered - many like this were used as mobile cafes , canteens, libraries, work buses for large firms ect - maybe passed further on (thus having unreadable fleetnames?) I will investigate further - unless Busman beats me to it!!!! - BTW would love to see all your other bus pics! :unsure:

Guest transit

....a bit more info - the bus is a Leyland Tiger PS1 with Weymann bodywork , probably new to Sheffield Transport around '46-7 , and probably withdrawn around 10-12 years later (59-60) this will have then passed on to further owners , and repainted ect , so i would think this photo was taken early '60's . A very similar bus is undergoing preservation at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum - although dont hold your breath as it has been like this for around 30 years!! :o

Guest bus man

....a bit more info - the bus is a Leyland Tiger PS1 with Weymann bodywork , probably new to Sheffield Transport around '46-7 , and probably withdrawn around 10-12 years later (59-60) this will have then passed on to further owners , and repainted ect , so i would think this photo was taken early '60's . A very similar bus is undergoing preservation at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum - although dont hold your breath as it has been like this for around 30 years!! :o

The bus was still in service in Sheffield after I was born (April 1960) family legend says that during a visit to an aunt at Loxley we were waiting for a bus at campo lane to go to loxley when I spat my dummy out Mother asked the lady in the canteen bus if she would wash if for me .

Unfortunatley I cant remember and my big brother cant remember which canteen bus it was - whats the point of having an elder brother when they dont remember the important stuff

Guest transit

The bus was still in service in Sheffield after I was born (April 1960) family legend says that during a visit to an aunt at Loxley we were waiting for a bus at campo lane to go to loxley when I spat my dummy out Mother asked the lady in the canteen bus if she would wash if for me .

Unfortunatley I cant remember and my big brother cant remember which canteen bus it was - whats the point of having an elder brother when they dont remember the important stuff

....finally proof that Busman is OLDER than Transit - plus the added confession that he has " spit the dummy out " from a very early age!!!!!!!!!!!!! lollollollol (....goes and takes cover in a dark corner...)

Guest bus man

....finally proof that Busman is OLDER than Transit - plus the added confession that he has " spit the dummy out " from a very early age!!!!!!!!!!!!! lollollollol (....goes and takes cover in a dark corner...)

TRANSIT : I will deal with you latter :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS a dark corner wont help i will find you

There are two Leyland Tigers one 1946 the other 1949 and they are still in service! They are run by Cumbria Classic Coaches (www.cumbriaclassiccoaches.co.uk) a Vintage bus hire company. There are a few regular routes. See website for details.

Cumbria Classic Coaches

Guest bus man

There are two Leyland Tigers one 1946 the other 1949 and they are still in service! They are run by Cumbria Classic Coaches (www.cumbriaclassiccoaches.co.uk) a Vintage bus hire company. There are a few regular routes. See website for details.

Cumbria Classic Coaches

The Hawes service is a good one , Ive done it on several occasions not done it this year but it is most enjoyable the first time I did it the dales diary were filming (No doubt transit will try and find the footage) . The other way to endjoy the cumbria classic buses is the Kirkby Stephen Rally held on Easter Saturday / Sunday

The Hawes service is a good one , Ive done it on several occasions not done it this year but it is most enjoyable the first time I did it the dales diary were filming (No doubt transit will try and find the footage) . The other way to endjoy the cumbria classic buses is the Kirkby Stephen Rally held on Easter Saturday / Sunday

Was fortunate to make three journeys two single deck two double deck. Suspension on those country roads leaves something to be desired. So much so it had female members "screaming" for an early toilet stop! One journey was over 1 - in- "almost upright" hills (not one of the scheduled routes) with the driver warning before hand the vehicles gearing was not designed for these roads and we may have to get off and walk in places. It was close at times but we did'nt.

Guest janet and jerry

No idea of the location but the bus is most definately a 1947 PS1 Sheffield " C" fleet vehicle, which probably answers the question as to how it came to pass over to British Railways proper. This bus was a regular performer on the Sheffield- Manchester 48 route and the Sheffield - Gainsborough 85 route. I travelled on this bus over Woodhead on the Manchester run complete winter chains attached.

Guest bus man

As said earlier it is definatley a ex Sheffield vehicle , however , as it is in the use of British Railways it could be any where