Dixon Lane

dr stanley

Guest carlie167

Some more pictures of Dixon Lane and the building of the Sheaf Market.

Thanks Ukelele Lady, fabulous photos and loads of detail to keep us all occupied. :)

Guest transit

Some more pictures of Dixon Lane and the building of the Sheaf Market.

....Great pics ! all that work to build Sheaf Market , and so quickly gone - just about same time and lifespan of Sheaf Valley Baths ! (30 years?) :(

Guest transit

....Great pics ! all that work to build Sheaf Market , and so quickly gone - just about same time and lifespan of Sheaf Valley Baths ! (30 years?) :(

....sourced this one taken from where Granellis still stands !, looking the OTHER way - can just about pick out the Norfolk Arms/ Dixon Lane in the distance. The road in front is the junction/bottom of Duke St. Almost everything in this pic up to the Norfolk Arms was demolished to make way for Park Square roundabout ! :o

What a fantastic set of photos of this area from both Ukelele Lady and Transit.

I am assuming that as Park Square Roundabout (the magic roundabout) was built in 1974 and that Sheaf market was built in 1973 that both these sets of pictures are from the early 1970's and they show the area exactly as I still picture it in my memory. thanks a lot for the memories.

I have posted some pictures of Sheaf Market in the Sheaf Market thread. Some of Ukelele Lady's pictures would compliment that thread well.

What a fantastic set of photos of this area from both Ukelele Lady and Transit.

I am assuming that as Park Square Roundabout (the magic roundabout) was built in 1974 and that Sheaf market was built in 1973 that both these sets of pictures are from the early 1970's and they show the area exactly as I still picture it in my memory. thanks a lot for the memories.

I have posted some pictures of Sheaf Market in the Sheaf Market thread. Some of Ukelele Lady's pictures would compliment that thread well.

Dated on the back of my brothers pictures of the foundations is 1970-71.

On your picture from the other angle, is it a pub which is boarded up on the corner near the white van?

If so what was the name of this one.

....sourced this one taken from where Granellis still stands !, looking the OTHER way - can just about pick out the Norfolk Arms/ Dixon Lane in the distance. The road in front is the junction/bottom of Duke St. Almost everything in this pic up to the Norfolk Arms was demolished to make way for Park Square roundabout ! :o

Hello,

I was admiring your pictures particularly the one of the junction of Duke Street and Broad Street.

I remember this area well, from the mid 1940's on. From Granelli's original shop and ice cream dairy - just off to the left- was Shuckers Garage and then the pub on the corner of Duke Street. Was it called the Sampson or have I got it wrong.

There used to be phone box along there by the Sampson(?) and - A Horse Trough!! The trough hadn't seen a horse for a long time and the water was a nice shade of green for years, before they eventually took it away.

In the centre of the picture - behind the lighting pole - is an empty double fronted shop. This was Boot's Chemists ,in fact the shop used to extend right around the corner into Broad Street. I can't remember what the empty shop next door, to the left, sold but I believe it was once a butchers. The shop next to that - the one with the awning - was a green grocers and the big building to its left was of course, Gunstone's.

The wall on the right of the picture, with the fancy brickwork. was the City Goods Station. In my younger days, older members of my family still used to call it the "London North Western" (LNWR) Station. LNWR had become part of the LMS at least 20-25 years before but old habits die hard.

Regards

Guest transit

Hello,

I was admiring your pictures particularly the one of the junction of Duke Street and Broad Street.

I remember this area well, from the mid 1940's on. From Granelli's original shop and ice cream dairy - just off to the left- was Shuckers Garage and then the pub on the corner of Duke Street. Was it called the Sampson or have I got it wrong.

There used to be phone box along there by the Sampson(?) and - A Horse Trough!! The trough hadn't seen a horse for a long time and the water was a nice shade of green for years, before they eventually took it away.

In the centre of the picture - behind the lighting pole - is an empty double fronted shop. This was Boot's Chemists ,in fact the shop used to extend right around the corner into Broad Street. I can't remember what the empty shop next door, to the left, sold but I believe it was once a butchers. The shop next to that - the one with the awning - was a green grocers and the big building to its left was of course, Gunstone's.

The wall on the right of the picture, with the fancy brickwork. was the City Goods Station. In my younger days, older members of my family still used to call it the "London North Western" (LNWR) Station. LNWR had become part of the LMS at least 20-25 years before but old habits die hard.

Regards

Heres one , (courtesy of picture sheffield )showing Shukers /Granellis ect which you describe..........

Broad St, picturesheffield

Guest shellybarnes

Dated on the back of my brothers pictures of the foundations is 1970-71.

On your picture from the other angle, is it a pub which is boarded up on the corner near the white van?

If so what was the name of this one.

Hi ukelele lady love your pics you have some very interesting ones, Would you have some of the pubs that used to be on broad street I think they were called ye old arrow golden ball and the durham ox. I think the arrow and durham ox are still there but not has pubs. would be nice to see them again if anyone has pics Michele

Guest shellybarnes

Here is another one of Dixon Lane if anyone is interested.

Look how busy it is!!

Great pic just about the time I worked at dewhurst butchers, Does anyone know how long dewhurst had been there, I left in 1982 and it was still there for a few years after

Hi ukelele lady love your pics you have some very interesting ones, Would you have some of the pubs that used to be on broad street I think they were called ye old arrow golden ball and the durham ox. I think the arrow and durham ox are still there but not has pubs. would be nice to see them again if anyone has pics Michele

Sorry I can't help you there, old pics are like gold .

Guest transit

..........here you go !! ( Ye Olde Harrow , The Old Blue Ball , Durham Ox )

picturesheffield 00

picturesheffield 01

picturesheffield 02

Guest shellybarnes

..........here you go !! ( Ye Olde Harrow , The Old Blue Ball , Durham Ox )......taken around 1980......

Thankyou transit I thought it was another name , the old blue bell. we used to go there a lot when i was younger Thanks