Dixon Lane

dr stanley

Whilst searching for a photo I came across this one, not sure where I got it from so apologies if its been posted before.

Pre British Home Store Days and before "Cann, Cann, The Music Man moved to its new shop on Chapel Walk. Much of the lower half of Dixon Lane remains exactly the same including Kings pork shop (wonderful pork sandwiches).

When did a Travelodge land there ?? and what's that sitting on the Rag 'n' Tag ??

I wonder just how little I know about the Sheffield of today, how many places could you plonk me where I would look around and have no idea which Town or City I was in ?

Thanks for the photo, made me think.

When did a Travelodge land there ?? and what's that sitting on the Rag 'n' Tag ??

I wonder just how little I know about the Sheffield of today, how many places could you plonk me where I would look around and have no idea which Town or City I was in ?

Thanks for the photo, made me think.

The building on the old Rag & Tag is probably like all other new buildings in Sheffield, "Appartment Blocks" for all them 1000's of young profesionals who want to live in Sheffield City Centre <_<

dr stanley said:
For anyone who has'nt come across him before, Ron Sandersons site has some brilliant black and white photos of old Sheffield.

Here: http://www.ronsandersoncollection.com/photo-galleries.asp

Borrowed from his site, Dixon Lane, no sign of Big Ada though.

Black_and_white_7.jpg

Some nice ones of the "Rag 'n Tag on there too.

The man on the left is Lol Knight and the tall bloke with his back to the camera looks like his father,

the other man bending over the stall could well be Lols brother Alan.

Nelly Knight (Alan & Lols mother) who also helped with the stall is not in the photo.

Is that in a town/city I recognize ? he he

No bad thing if all those new premises were alive and buzzing with business/residents and providing work/homes; I suspect from the phtos than they are not.

Thanks for posting.

Whilst searching for a photo I came across this one, not sure where I got it from so apologies if its been posted before.

Pre British Home Store Days and before "Cann, Cann, The Music Man moved to its new shop on Chapel Walk. Much of the lower half of Dixon Lane remains exactly the same including Kings pork shop (wonderful pork sandwiches).

Here is a view down Dixon Ln taken in 1950, in more busier times

:blink: I can't remember the building on the left of the picture [ too young ] at the top of Dixon Lane.

It looks as though it says Meadow above the shop, could it be a Meadow Dairy? I can see some scales in the window

and doesn't it look busy.

Guest carlie167

Wonderful picture there, it shows Sheffield when it was really bustling.

I think the building on the left is the Norfolk Market Hall, you can just make out a sign on the side.

But what is the social club advertised on the window across the road?

Any ideas?

Here are somemore modern day photos (taken 27 November 2008)

How long have King's Butchers and Bates Off License been in Dixon Ln

Previous posts have shown Dixon Ln to be a busy place, on the the day this photo was taken it just seems to be people looking for somewhere to park the cars.

Somethings don't change, The Norfolk Arms still going strong

Link added in main pubs entry

Hey Stuart, cant believe this,

Two pictures we took on Friday, who is stalking who? he hehe he

This site seems to have got people out there taking photogarphs :)

Got to be a good thing

This site seems to have got people out there taking photogarphs :)

Got to be a good thing

Taken Saturday 22 November 2008

The top end of Dixon Lane has a footbridge over it proudly bearing its name. This type of naming seems quite common in the City centre now.

How close can someone get with clever zoom and a decent camera to the picture under the name ? Or do we have the picture elsewhere ?

How close can someone get with clever zoom and a decent camera to the picture under the name ? Or do we have the picture elsewhere ?

Zoomed from my original here RichardB, but really I suppose I should go back and retake the picture as a close up of just this bit.

Zoomed from my original here RichardB, but really I suppose I should go back and retake the picture as a close up of just this bit.

Is that any better, mobile phone photo today

Is it the old Norfolk Market Hall

Photo link

I can't get your photo link to work Stuart, just comes up with "Internet Explorer cannot display this page". However on looking at your picture the first thing that came to mind was the Norfolk Market Hall and the Tontine. I would go with the Market Hall as it looks big and goes back a long way. I imagine the Tontine to be a smaller building than this.

Here is a view down Dixon Ln taken in 1950, in more busier times

Deary me!! Look how busy that is.

I know from research that Dixon Lane used to be a busy shopping area, but the funny thing is, if you asked most people in thier twenties now where Dixon lane was i bet all you would get would be a blank expression.

Just shows how drastically things can change. Today Dixon lane is literally deserted, and more a 'cut through' than anything else. I know the removel of most of the shops will have contributed to this ( where Woolworths and BHS are ) but i love this pic and how it shows how busy it once was.