Royal visits to Sheffield

Sheffield History

The Queen's visit to Sheffield - 27th October, 1954, Yorkshire Film Archive

It was good to watch this film especially the school children doing their bit on the Hillsborough

football ground, and very well done too.

I remember my older sister being part of this parade and I know there were a lot of

rehearsals to be done before they got it right.

Stupid looking arch for the Royal visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales, 1875. This was by the bridge over the Don, Blonk Street.

I have nearly the same post card but titled The Queens Visit 1897, Blonk St

Stupid looking arch for the Royal visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales, 1875. This was by the bridge over the Don, Blonk Street.

The Royal Visit 1875.

Photo not sure ?

THE COST OF THE ROYAL VISIT TO SHEFFIELD

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, January 01, 1876

Cost of Royal Visit 1875..

Information about Royal visits to Sheffield seems harder to find than I first thought.  The subject has though come up recently in a railway context regarding use of the Royal Train in the 1970s and early 1980s in particular.

I have rough notes but no pictures of its use on four occasions for visits to Sheffield at that time and wondered if anyone had further details or pictures from that era.

The dates and visits for which I have information are:-

29/7/75 -  The Queen and Prince Philip arrived and departed from Sheffield Midland station.  I saw the train arrive at c16:00 and it is recorded as departing 23:05.  Not clear from the reports I have seen whether the Royal Party actually returned to the train mid way through prior to an evening reception at the Cutlers Hall.

12/7/77 - The Queens Silver Jubilee visit.  I am fairly sure my observation of the train was at Dore after the visit heading in the direction of Chesterfield.

1/11/79 -  The opening of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital by Prince Charles.  I saw the train arrive at Sheffield at around 10:00(?) but not sure whether he used the train to return.

19/7/80 -  This was the visit by Princess Anne when as well as visiting Manor Top she had an engagement which saw the Royal Train calling at Dore.  I have some detailed notes somewhere but can't at the moment find them.  I recall though that the Dore visit was probably her first of the day.  The train first ran non-stop through Dore from the Sheffield direction to Totley Tunnel East where it reversed before arriving at Dore.  I think that after Her Royal Highness alighted the train was either not subsequently used or picked her up again elsewhere. 

Incidentally, one of Grandmothers earliest memories is of being held above the head of her father so she could see Queen Victoria during the 1897 Royal Visit. 

There was also a visit by Charles & Diana in early 1984. Have some pictures (not very good) that I took if anyone wants them posted.

Thanks Leonr2z.  Had not got a Royal Train involvement for the 15th March 1984 visit by the Prince and Princess of Wales.  However did some googling etc and it appears the Royal Party arrived by air but  departed by rail.  I have traced a picture online of what is presume is an empty (except staff) Royal Train passing through Chesterfield in the direction of Sheffield that afternoon.  Whilst personally only particularly interested in pictures of the train I am sure pictures of all aspects of the visit would interest many. 

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2008 at 16:30, bus man said:

Remember seeing royal train at attercliffe rd station and midland during sil ver jubillee & in around 1985 ish when the queen visited hillsborough park - bendi buses were used on the 53 to get school children therer but they started outside what had been cockaynes and not flat st

The Silver Jubilee was on 12th July 1977.  Certainly the Royal Train passed through Dore at some point that day as I recall seeing it their and I am sure locomotive 47455 was in charge.

I think the Hillsborough Park visit you refer to was that on 12th December 1986.  I think that would be the only time the Queen visited when bendi-buses were in town.

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 15:42, Peter Hall said:

Information about Royal visits to Sheffield seems harder to find than I first thought.  The subject has though come up recently in a railway context regarding use of the Royal Train in the 1970s and early 1980s in particular.

I have rough notes but no pictures of its use on four occasions for visits to Sheffield at that time and wondered if anyone had further details or pictures from that era.

The dates and visits for which I have information are:-

29/7/75 -  The Queen and Prince Philip arrived and departed from Sheffield Midland station.  I saw the train arrive at c16:00 and it is recorded as departing 23:05.  Not clear from the reports I have seen whether the Royal Party actually returned to the train mid way through prior to an evening reception at the Cutlers Hall.

12/7/77 - The Queens Silver Jubilee visit.  I am fairly sure my observation of the train was at Dore after the visit heading in the direction of Chesterfield.

1/11/79 -  The opening of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital by Prince Charles.  I saw the train arrive at Sheffield at around 10:00(?) but not sure whether he used the train to return.

19/7/80 -  This was the visit by Princess Anne when as well as visiting Manor Top she had an engagement which saw the Royal Train calling at Dore.  I have some detailed notes somewhere but can't at the moment find them.  I recall though that the Dore visit was probably her first of the day.  The train first ran non-stop through Dore from the Sheffield direction to Totley Tunnel East where it reversed before arriving at Dore.  I think that after Her Royal Highness alighted the train was either not subsequently used or picked her up again elsewhere. 

Incidentally, one of Grandmothers earliest memories is of being held above the head of her father so she could see Queen Victoria during the 1897 Royal Visit. 

It would have been after the 1975 or 1977 visit that I went to do a job at Ross & Catherall, Station Road Halfway. The people there told me that the Royal Train had spent the night on one of the two lines that passed by their factory with a sort of pride that The Queen had slept there. If the attached is correct it probably was the 1975 visit that left Sheffield at 23.05.

Since posting on 5th September we have started a feature on Sheffield Royal Trains on the RCTS website http://www.rcts.org.uk/branches/sheffield/page.htm?id=Sheffield/RoyalTrain At the moment details are sketchy but slowly more is coming to light as note books are scoured and memories jolted. The comment from Old Rider id very interesting. We can actually rule out the 1975 visit as the Royal Train spent the night before and night after the 29th July visit at Firbeck. However, the 1977 visit cant be ruled out yet as a possibility.