Royal visits to Sheffield

Sheffield History

13/01/1941 - King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (later Queen Mother) walking around a badly bomb damaged street.

Does anyone know of a site where I can find the royal visits that have taken place in Sheffield ??

It would be good to build up a list of information regarding these for the site..

Here's the Queen paying a visit to Hillsborough - 01/11/1954

November so must have been freezing !

And just look how steep the kop looks as the queen makes her way round the pitch in her Queenmobile..

And just look how steep the kop looks as the queen makes her way round the pitch in her Queenmobile..

Here is video of the same visit. just click on the View story here icon.

Queens Visit.

Guest tsavo

I was there at Hillsborough in 1954 and it was pretty cold. The whole school went by tram from School Rd, Crookes. Before we left school the Headmaster inspected all our handkerchiefs, (not everyone had one) and said "You are NOT to wave those at the Queen of England, I will be watching you!" How he expected to pick us out on the packed Cop I don't know.

We seemed to wait for ages and spent the time booing the posh schools who were, of course, seated in the stands. ("We hate High Stores, stand up and wave your drawers") When they finally arrived and toured around the pitch in a green Land Rover, I remember thinking how little hair the Duke had left.

Thirty years later I would again see the Queen arrive, this time at the Midland Station but from much closer. It was a day I won't forget as I was threatened with arrest by the Royal Protection squad......will save that tale for another time!

It was a day I won't forget as I was threatened with arrest by the Royal Protection squad......will save that tale for another time!

Oooh - now that sounds like a pretty unique story !

Hi , yes I remember standing on leppings lane with my Mum, waving a paper union jack, I was 4 at the time, thanks for jogging my Memory, I always rememberd seeing the queen at Hillsboro, but this is the first time I've seen pics of the event.

Guest Trefcon

13/01/1941 - King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (later Queen Mother) walking around a badly bomb damaged street.

Does anyone know of a site where I can find the royal visits that have taken place in Sheffield ??

It would be good to build up a list of information regarding these for the site..

hi there

have you tried picture sheffield for images!

donna cc

1977 the queens jubilee visit to Sheffield, school (Waltheof) allowed us to stand along The Parkway to wave as she arrived...

The royal entourage blasted along The Parkway at great speed... well in excess of the legal limit of 50mph, I would have been surprised if the fleet of motorbikes and cars were doing much less that 100mph!

Hi , yes I remember standing on leppings lane with my Mum, waving a paper union jack, I was 4 at the time, thanks for jogging my Memory, I always rememberd seeing the queen at Hillsboro, but this is the first time I've seen pics of the event.

This was The Queen's first visit to Sheffield after her Coronation. I too remember it. When she was at SWFC, the song 'On Ilkley Moor baht 'at' was sung. Naturally she could not understand what that meant and asked for a translation. It means On Ilkley Moor without a hat Ma'am, came the reply.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-576-1176040574.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-576-1176040624.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-576-1176040647.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-576-1176040677.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-576-1176040708.jpgHi fellow members sorry if this is the wrong area but perhaps you could put an occasion to the attached photos they are taken in Barkers Pool but i dont if it was a Royal Visit judging by the uniforms i would have thought it was hope you can help??

Must have been a very big event, looks like a film / TV camera on the roof of The Gaumont. Also notices other photographers on the roofs of other buildings

Date maybe early 1960s? 61-62?

Nice images, keep up the good work

Guest tsavo

Must have been a very big event, looks like a film / TV camera on the roof of The Gaumont. Also notices other photographers on the roofs of other buildings

Date maybe early 1960s? 61-62?

Nice images, keep up the good work

I'm pretty sure that date is about right. Possibly a regiment being given the Freedom of the City, "with bayonets fixed" (as they used to say) pity we can't see behind the band or see what's on at the Gaumont / Cinema House though!

Cannot find any reference to which regiments have been awarded freedom of The City... only one I can find is "The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment" this was fairly recently merged with other regiments and has been disbanded. So the couincil agreed to transfer the freedom to the new regiment.

syrup does your family have an connection with a particular regiment do you know?

Cannot find any reference to which regiments have been awarded freedom of The City... only one I can find is "The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment" this was fairly recently merged with other regiments and has been disbanded. So the couincil agreed to transfer the freedom to the new regiment.

syrup does your family have an connection with a particular regiment do you know?

Hi GrinderBloke

My father was in the RAF but spent most of his time in Palastine and other places out there, as to other family members i dont know.

Stupid looking arch for the Royal visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales, 1875. This was by the bridge over the Don, Blonk Street.

I was there at Hillsborough in 1954 and it was pretty cold. The whole school went by tram from School Rd, Crookes. Before we left school the Headmaster inspected all our handkerchiefs, (not everyone had one) and said "You are NOT to wave those at the Queen of England, I will be watching you!" How he expected to pick us out on the packed Cop I don't know.

We seemed to wait for ages and spent the time booing the posh schools who were, of course, seated in the stands. ("We hate High Stores, stand up and wave your drawers") When they finally arrived and toured around the pitch in a green Land Rover, I remember thinking how little hair the Duke had left.

Thirty years later I would again see the Queen arrive, this time at the Midland Station but from much closer. It was a day I won't forget as I was threatened with arrest by the Royal Protection squad......will save that tale for another time!

1954 - My parents were there both at school. My dad told me it was a scandal - were you given a poor quality penknife that fell apart and was an insult to our fine city and it's history

Guest tsavo

Very true, the handle of mine was a powder blue plastic and broke off completely when I tried to whittle a twig...not even a stick. There was a great ho ha in the Star about it being a disgrace but we never got a better replacement. Can't remember what the girls got though....my other half says a model horse and coronation coach model. (hers had one broken leg ´so she ended up with two. Talk about mementoes on the cheap!

Guest tsavo

Hi fellow members sorry if this is the wrong area but perhaps you could put an occasion to the attached photos they are taken in Barkers Pool but i don't if it was a Royal Visit judging by the uniforms i would have thought it was hope you can help??

Haven't looked at this since last year but have noticed a couple of things after a closer look. Definitely the timescale is very late '50s to early '60s as seen by the stiletto high heels of the woman in the crowd and the clothes of the children. Ankle socks and skirts are typical for this time. Also noticed there only appears to have been just the Guards band and no formation of following soldiers. Also it's obviously spring or summer, again from the dress with a youth wearing tight(ish) trousers.

About this time, Sheffield used to have an annual military tattoo in Norfolk Park. Could this just be an appearance publicizing that?

Thoughts anyone?

A couple of sections from the pics show the dresses and shoes.

This shot just tweaked a little as was dark.

Guest bus man

Remember seeing royal train at attercliffe rd station and midland during sil ver jubillee & in around 1985 ish when the queen visited hillsborough park - bendi buses were used on the 53 to get school children therer but they started outside what had been cockaynes and not flat st

Don't know of a site but I was working at the Hallamshire Hospital when Prince Charles came to do the official opening

Inkstand with snuffer made of old fused plate,

which was used by His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales

on the opening of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital on 1st November 1979.