Royal visits to Sheffield

Sheffield History

Carriage supplied to the Prince and Princess of Wales by Joseph Tomlinson & Sons Ltd. on their visit to Sheffield 

FE27B43F-474A-4FCE-896B-41B56B838A5D.jpeg

B0FEE987-F1FE-4AE4-B644-E601CCC92EC3.jpeg

I swept Fargate for the Queens visit in the mid 70's. That was me with my brush and 2 bin cart sweeping 10 minutes before she arrived. Oh how you all ribbed me.

18 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

?

royal.jpg

🙂

15th May 1986 Princess Anne visited Fletcher Bakery and South Yorkshire Police School. 

See Archives and Local Studies Royal Visit Study Guide.... Covers Royal Visits over the last 200 years. 

4 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

15th May 1986 Princess Anne visited Fletcher Bakery and South Yorkshire Police School. 

See Archives and Local Studies Royal Visit Study Guide.... Covers Royal Visits over the last 200 years. 

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/Royal Visits study guide v1-9.pdf

Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 21-08-55 Check SYCC collection - Royal Visits study guide v1-9.pdf.png

On 23/09/2016 at 20:56, Peter Hall said:

Since posting on 5th September we have started a feature on Sheffield Royal Trains on the RCTS website http://www.rcts.org.uk/branches/sheffield/page.htm?id=Sheffield/RoyalTrain At the moment details are sketchy but slowly more is coming to light as note books are scoured and memories jolted. The comment from Old Rider id very interesting. We can actually rule out the 1975 visit as the Royal Train spent the night before and night after the 29th July visit at Firbeck. However, the 1977 visit cant be ruled out yet as a possibility.

Due to various technicalities the Sheffield Royal Trains feature has been absent from the RCTS website for a few years.  It is now back on line.  Please now use this link. 

Please post here or in the Sheffield Royal Trains topic in Sheffield Buses, Trams & Trains if you have any information or contact me directly through the website.

Does anyone know anymore about the visit of Princess Anne on Friday 31st May 1985 to Dinnington Hall and Sheffield.   My suspicion is that the Princess also had engagements in Yorkshire the following day, spending the night in the Royal Train at Crigglestone, near Barnsley.

The reason for this suspicion is that on Saturday 1st June the Summer Saturdays 06:00 Bradford Interchange - Poole train, the only passenger train routed via the Crigglestone spur between Huddersfield and Barnsley, was diverted to run via Penistone.  The reason apparently being due to the Royal Train being stabled on the Crigglestone spur.

I have no other information about the use of the Royal Train for this visit, perhaps though it did have an involvement.