Off on holiday!

dunsbyowl1867

We were too poor to ever go on holiday - anyone join this sort of queue - how was the journey? Is that Arthur Askey next to left of the Blackpool sign?

We were too poor to ever go on holiday - anyone join this sort of queue - how was the journey? Is that Arthur Askey next to left of the Blackpool sign?

Not sure of the date of this picture.

I lived on Leadmill Rd in the 1960's which was quite local to Pond Street, my father would often take us on day trips to the East Coast. The bottom platform of Pond Street would be crowded like this most days during the summer and Saturdays would be complete chaos.

The last trip I can remember by coach as a family was in 1973 and weeks holiday in Great Yarmouth, Pond Street was the usual chaos. In those days everybody went on holiday on Saturday morning.

Guest plain talker

Not sure of the date of this picture.

I lived on Leadmill Rd in the 1960's which was quite local to Pond Street, my father would often take us on day trips to the East Coast. The bottom platform of Pond Street would be crowded like this most days during the summer and Saturdays would be complete chaos.

The last trip I can remember by coach as a family was in 1973 and weeks holiday in Great Yarmouth, Pond Street was the usual chaos. In those days everybody went on holiday on Saturday morning.

Seeing as the back-to-back housing on Park Hill was still there, not demolished it has to be pre the late fifties. It's certainly pre-1955-1960 as the PHFlats are not built yet

You can see the old chapel on the corner of south street up on the skyline, almost directly adjacent to the tall black pole that goes up the picture from the dark coach to the rear of the "Blackpool" sign.

Where the large black warehouse type thing is, (top centre of pic, to the side of the little old house) must be where the Sheaf Valley Baths were built.

I think the coaches are probably on the site of the old sheaf valley baths. I think you can just make out the north end of the Midland Station.

Guest bus man

This picture also appears in The Star's "Sheffield Since 1900" and is dated July, 1958.

I woudl have thought that 1958 was a bit late for that style of shelter in that position I may be wrong however, there also appears to be too many Bedford OBs for that period

Guest plain talker

I woudl have thought that 1958 was a bit late for that style of shelter in that position I may be wrong however, there also appears to be too many Bedford OBs for that period

I agree that the date of 58 may be a but optimistic.. I feel sure that the streets on Park hill were cleared by58, as I'm sure I remember seeing the date on the PHF commemorative stone, at the Duke Street end of PHF being dated 1959. T

the housing will have had to have been cleared a good two years before the flats were opened, even allowing for only that first block to be completed at the time of the opening.

Guest bus man

I agree that the date of 58 may be a but optimistic.. I feel sure that the streets on Park hill were cleared by58, as I'm sure I remember seeing the date on the PHF commemorative stone, at the Duke Street end of PHF being dated 1959. T

the housing will have had to have been cleared a good two years before the flats were opened, even allowing for only that first block to be completed at the time of the opening.

Looking at wilpedia or what ever its called it was opened in 1961 but started in 1957 so think this confirms the pic date is wrong