Sheffield Town

RichardB

The Moor closed (to buses) 1979, so what about 1980

Where Richards factory was is now Wickes, the Wickes building was previously a furnishing / household shop, the name escapes me. I remember buying a stereo from their closing down sale, that was just after I got married in 198* something that date escapes me as well lol.

Shall we put the date at 1981?

and

What was the name of the shop that originally occupied the Wickes building.

Where Richards factory was is now Wickes, the Wickes building was previously a furnishing / household shop, the name escapes me. I remember buying a stereo from their closing down sale, that was just after I got married in 198* something that date escapes me as well lol.

and

Well as I can remember that missing * digit shall we call it 1980 - 81

It seems that they must have built that Aztec temple pretty quickly given its size.

Just a pity they can't knock it down as quick! lol

and

Was it M.F.I ?

The buses stopped going through the Moor first then all traffic on 2nd September 1980.

PS Does M.F.I. still exist? Never seem to hear much of them.

Was it M.F.I ?

The buses stopped going through the Moor first then all traffic on 2nd September 1980.

Don't think it was MFI,

MFI was on St Mary's Gate, between Bramall ln and London Rd. MFI went bust end of 2008 beginning of 2009 about the same time as Wollworths

Don't think it was MFI,

MFI was on St Mary's Gate, between Bramall ln and London Rd. MFI went bust end of 2008 beginning of 2009 about the same time as Wollworths

So if it wasn't MFI was it HABITAT ?

At one time they were MFI's main competitor.

So if it wasn't MFI was it HABITAT ?

At one time they were MFI's main competitor.

No Habitat took over part of the old Roberts brothers shop on the Moor

Was it M.F.I ?

M. F. I Went into administration at the end of 2008. I just can't think what Wickes was before though. :unsure:

and

The new fire station is not built, the one they are now demolishing.

So what year was that built, I can't see it on the picture.

The furniture shop wasn't Ponsfords was it?

Just making random guesses.

It was built in 1979, but somewhere else on here, I think in a topic to do with Moorfoot area, there are a couple of my pictures taken late in 1979 which show the MSC building in a less than complete state that it appears in Steve's picture.

I'm useless as a link fairy, it's easier for me to find the picture on my computer and post it again.

Manpower Services building in November 1979.

Here is another picture, also posted somewhere else previously, taken in 1981

At this point in time the MSC appears to be complete, but it has been pointed out that the half finished "bridge to nowhere" a bit like the one at Avignon in France, shows that it still was not quite finished even then.