Sheffield Town

RichardB

Not your average PictureSheffield link, just scans from the First Edition (1819), I thought they were breath-taking.

I was kind of hoping for some kind of reaction to these scans, the one PM is a bit disappointing to say the least - Nice work/Great pictures/Well Done - costs now't - is anyone looking at this stuff ?

Beyond the Albert Hall, no sign of the City Hall or the demolition of the small shops to clear the site for it, so can't be after c1930.

Hugh

Definately prior to 1928 as no Regent Cinema, (Gaumont) but the white building (Cinama House) built in 1913, plainly visible.

Not your average PictureSheffield link, just scans from the First Edition (1819), I thought they were breath-taking.

I was kind of hoping for some kind of reaction to these scans, the one PM is a bit disappointing to say the least - Nice work/Great pictures/Well Done - costs now't - is anyone looking at this stuff ?

I am and I'm very grateful you took the time to upload them, the one of St. Pauls is excellent, for some reason I'm really intrigued by that building? Thank you :)

I agree with Virus, the St. Paul's pic is brilliant. Not seen it from that angle before.

Thanks Richard, very much appreciated.

PM from Jeremy

The quality of the scans from 'Hallamshire' that you posted recently is excellent.

As you may know, I have been slowly transcribing Hallamshire for Wikisource. Would you mind if I used the scans in the transcription? I also think that they might be useful in some of the Wikipedia articles that I have written on Sheffield history.

Thanks,

Jeremy .

--------------------------

FYI I've given permission for the scans to be used with a credit to SheffieldHistory.

FYI I've given permission for the scans to be used with a credit to SheffieldHistory.

Thanks again Richard. I have already put a couple of them to use (click on the images to see full description/acknowledgement):

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Hallamshire...._County_of_York

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Sheffield

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbrook_Hall

Jeremy

Definately prior to 1928 as no Regent Cinema, (Gaumont) but the white building (Cinama House) built in 1913, plainly visible.

HI tsavo, l should say 1922, the Nelson to the right of the MEMORIAL at the left the old Angel Inn end of Button lane, plainly to the left , and above the Cathedrel is Eadon & Lockwood auctioneers ,opposite was an architect's office Morton's, Taxi rank in front on Church st , my dad stood on this rank for many yrs then on to Leopold st out side of the Education Office's, the Cinema house looks fairly new, but those white marble blocks stayed white till it was demolished, the big building opposite would be the Albert Hall destroyed by fire 1930, Skeets.

Mmmm. From the University....where, when, and just maybe....how? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I think it is taken from above the Childrens Hospital, somehow

Its the Spire in front, that is confusing.

Childrens Hospital

Could the spire in this photo of the childrens Hospital be the same as the photo.

Looking at a street map it all seems to line up.

I think it is more likely to be from the squarish tower of Firth Hall in this photo which also shows the dinky little spire.

Hugh

I had forgot about that, yes that seems more like it, plus it now agrees with the caption

I had forgot about that, yes that seems more like it, plus it now agrees with the caption

Perhaps someone could sneak there way up there and take a "now' photo lol

St Pauls, unusual angle (1819 from Hunter's Hallamshire)

Stunning, not noticed the "dip" to the left (where the Town Hall is now).

Stunning, not noticed the "dip" to the left (where the Town Hall is now).

Erm, isn't the Town hall to the right Richard? This is looking from the back, so to the left is the Peace Gardens and St Pau's parade.

Guest Gramps

Erm, isn't the Town hall to the right Richard? This is looking from the back, so to the left is the Peace Gardens and St Pau's parade.

Wouldn't be the Town Hall in 1819 ;-)

A similar view here http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s22401.jpg

Good find Steve

The more you look at this photo the more you see, so should be easy to date.

• Richards's factory is still there at the junction of Moores St / Fitzwilliam st
  • Looks like the Moor market area is being developed
  • New Redgates/Sunwin House has not been built

What do we think for the date

Good find Steve

The more you look at this photo the more you see, so should be easy to date.

• Richards's factory is still there at the junction of Moores St / Fitzwilliam st
  • Looks like the Moor market area is being developed
  • New Redgates/Sunwin House has not been built

What do we think for the date

The Moor closed (to buses) 1979, so what about 1980

You're correct Bigears, my error. Still quite an incline depicted there, is that Union Street ?

The Moor closed (to buses) 1979, so what about 1980

I would go for slightly later Stuart, perhaps 1982 or 83.

That "monsterous carbuncle" (quote Prince Charles) a.k.a the "Aztec temple" or the "Dalek city" but more properly known at the time as the MSC (Manpower Services Commission) building in the right foreground looks to highly developed fot very early in the 1980's

Must admit that the "Keep for easy reference" put on by the Star certainly improves it a bit lol

Accordind to Google the Manpower Servicers Building was

built in 1979 and the through traffic was halted on the 2nd

September 1980.

How soon we forget. :huh:

Accordind to Google the Manpower Servicers Building was

built in 1979 and the through traffic was halted on the 2nd

September 1980.

How soon we forget. :huh:

It was built in 1979, but somewhere else on here, I think in a topic to do with Moorfoot area, there are a couple of my pictures taken late in 1979 which show the MSC building in a less than complete state that it appears in Steve's picture.

I'm useless as a link fairy, it's easier for me to find the picture on my computer and post it again.

Manpower Services building in November 1979.