Sheffield Town

RichardB

Inspired by an aerial photograph of the Cathedral.

Keeping it central, Wicker, Castle Foulds, Snig Hill, Westbar green, Lambert Street/Grindlegate, Glossop Road, Barker Pool, Coalpit Lane - you get the rough idea - a Greatest Hits if you like !

From Stuart0742's original posting

---------------------------------------

This is a 20's view of the Cathedral.

Also in the shot is St James church, later destroyed in the Blitz, Hawley Street Flats, the cleared land top centre is the site of Tenter St Tram depot (yet to be built), Coles Corner and Telegraph House. Sure there are a lot more place to be identified.

Apologies for the quality, the original was low resolution.

Croft Buildings, Hawley Street flats.

Center top on the ariel view 'Croft Buildings' (Hawley Street Flats)

still looks much the same today from ground level.

Central enough for me ! Now, if you get into your time-travelling hot-air balloon, I'd like the same shot taken in 1709 please and Thank you.

Undated aerial photo of Pinstone St/The Moor

Carver St is at the left of the photo, with Cambridge St in the centre. We also have the Peace monument at Moorhead. I believe the white building at the extreme top right is the old cinema houese at the foot of Barkers Pool.

Undated aerial photo of Pinstone St/The Moor

Carver St is at the left of the photo, with Cambridge St in the centre. We also have the Peace monument at Moorhead. I believe the white building at the extreme top right is the old cinema houese at the foot of Barkers Pool.

To the left of the cinema, the chunky building with the tower on one corner, is the Albert Hall, gutted by fire 14 Jul 1937, providing a terminus ante quem for the photo.

Hugh

Beyond the Albert Hall, no sign of the City Hall or the demolition of the small shops to clear the site for it, so can't be after c1930.

Hugh