The Plaza Cinema, Handsworth

Guest tsavo

Plaza Cinema Handsworth Sheffield.jpg

The Plaza Cinema, Richmond Rd. Handsworth, Sheffield

Located at the junction of Richmond Road and Bramley Lane, the Plaza was opened on the 27th of December, 1937. A modern building, it was built in rustic brick with the tower faced with white faience. The upper part of the tower housed the air conditioning system.

Seating in total was for 1,100 patrons with adequate waiting room provided in the entrance hall and foyer. The entrance was covered by a sweeping canopy with stairs to either side of the balcony. The auditorium decor was of decorative fibrous plaster with the walls in orange fading to a light buff towards ceiling level. Concealed lighting was hidden in ceiling troughs.

Projection equipment consisted of a Western Electric mirrophonic sound system, Kaylee No. 11 projectors and Regal Arc Lamps.

The Plaza had only two managers in it's cinema lifetime, George Turner being the first, who was replaced by Colin Arnold in December of 1957.

The hall had closed for a brief period in July of 1947 for redecoration and refurbishment.

The Plaza was opened for Sunday screenings from April 1953 with a children's Saturday matinee following just under twelve months later. CinemaScope presentations with stereophonic sound were introduced in March of 1955 with "Three Coins in the Fountain". The cinema closed for redecoration in September of 1962, and a year later saw musical groups and variety acts booked for a series of one night stands. These performances did not feature any film screenings.

The Plaza was taken over by Ken Kerner Entertainments Ltd in 1963, and closed as a cinema in September of that year.

Info: Sheffield Cinemas

I lived in Handsworth as a child and spent many happy hours in the Plaza. My mum and dad packed me off to the matinee every Saturday (I think it was so they could have "a nibble"). I remember the Brook Bond PG Tips events, hula hoop competitions etc. Saw a lot of films there too.

When the Plaza reopened as a bingo hall it was opened by Des O'Connor. I managed to get his autograph (still got it) but I had to borrow a biro off a neighbour who was queueing to get in for a game of bingo!

Happy days!

After "the pictures" I used to love calling in Flo's drink shop for a glass of Vimto!

It's changed again

Not sure what it is now, but does anyone know the history of the place since it closed as a cinema?

Plaza Bingo Club Sheffield.jpg

And at one point was also the PLAZA BINGO CLUB, that referred to itself as a luxury bingo club with friendly atmosphere, fully licensed bar, refreshment bar and value for money,  with sessions every evening that were restricted to members only.

I remember the plaza in handsworth, because there was a rock n roll band contest in the 60s. We came 3rd out of 30 bands and we were presented with a audition for bbc radio. The prize was presented by the great Dave Berry of Sheffield, and I was the singer with the band and the only person to have his photograph in the Sheffield star newspaper, which I still have a copy of and still feel very proud. The winners were Johnny tempest ( deceased) and the cadillacs, Brilliant group. The name of our band was Shaun Dean and the Ramblers. When I think back, we were very average, but it was fun. It was also great to have known Dave Berry and the late Joe Cocker. Regarding Sheffield in general, I could go on forever, but I still only use one finger to type. If anyone wants information about Sheffield, here I am. Thanks  

Must have been around the time Johnny and the Hurricanes were at the Plaza (18th January 1963) Edit Sorry wrong Handsworth....