Shefffield Street Names

dunsbyowl1867

Little Sheffield

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=parliament+street+sheffield&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Parliament+St,+Sheffield+S11+8,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&ll=53.370752,-1.483111&spn=0.002791,0.006791&z=17

Thank you Steve. lol

You are forgetting the cattle market. People bringing in the sheep etc, easy to lose one I would have thought. The person in charge of the Pinfold was the Pinder. And seeing that's a common name, even in Sheffield, a high turnover rate in the job! Not many people would like you with that job :(

I don't know why this stuck in my mind. Wonder where?

"There are about 2,500 cows stalled inside the City, the remainder of the milk supply coming from about 6,000 cows in Derbyshire and the West Riding of Yorkshire."

The Health of Sheffield HScurlfield Med Officer of Sheffield 1910

Does anyone know where Occupation Road was please?

Not Lane, Occupation Road.

Part of a conversation on Rootsweb

Hello Ethel,

here are some address for George YATES, photographer:

32 Hall Carr St Brightside Bierlow (carpenter & joiner)

58 Spital Hill Brightside Bierlow (photographic artist)

652 Grimesthorpe Rd Brightside Bierlow (photographer)

I could not find any instances of a middle name for George. He is plain

George in the GRO marriage index and also a possible baptism in the IGI.

Spital Hill used to be part of Occupation Road.

Hugh in Sheffield

=======================

Gee, Ann (Mrs, Dressmaker).

Residing at 81 Occupation Road, in 1852.

Recorded in: White's Gazetteer & General Directory of Sheffield - 1852

Joseph ATKINSON 36 Draper Occupation Road, Sheffield Consumption Sheffield, 1801 - General Cemetery

Sevenairs Road, Beighton - Apparently this got it's name from a local doctor who used to say there was "Seven Airs" in the countryside in that area. I got this information from the old Picture book "Around Hackenthorpe"

In the first post on this thread Dustybowl mentions ALSOPS FIELD but it’s name was ALSOP FIELD no “ S “ in Allsop.

2 hours ago, 360035 said:

Has anyone ever come across Malley Rag Lane?

Molly or Mally Wragg Lane - now called Brincliffe Edge Road.

When Sir John Murray came down from Tullibardine Castle to live at Banner Cross Hall, he brought a number of servants - amongst them was Wragg and his wife.  They were accommodated in the old Dove Houses (pulled down in 1908 to build Louth Road).  Among the many offspring of the Wraggs was Mary (or Molly or Mally) who returned to Ecclesall after being in service and became a midwife, living in a small cottage at the top of Brincliffe Edge Road.  She never married. The locals used her as a doctor, and whenever there was a need, the cry of "Fetch Molly Wragg" was heard.

Dove Houses in 1908:

173469492_DoveHouses1908.png.cd1faf6e2641b4ae0d927d6401084282.png

On demolition, the owner found an Almanac for the year 1582, secreted amongst the beams of the building which appears to have been of the cruck type.  On of the beams was over 37 feet long.  The similarity in construction to Beauchief Abbey led to conjecture that it had been a place of rest for pilgrims.

I have a good one for you.

Corker Bottoms Lane - Edmund Corker in 1685 (ACM S78) owned all the land around the area. The Lane slopes down to the bottoms of fields, hence the name.

Another list of street name changes - this one from 1871.  The surprise for me was that Dearne Street Brightside had originally been called Alma Street (certainly in 1865 when the chapel was built) - and that my ancestor hadn't moved from Millsands to Brightside in the 1870s - it was just the road name that changed.

573438875_StreetNameChanges1871.thumb.png.248785cda8538a71adaaaa5240047801.png

The Manor Estate offers some interesting names, roads such as Fairleigh and Riddings Close have been discussed elsewhere on this website. There are also Navan Road, Tuffolds Close and Travey Road which seem elusive.

47 minutes ago, eldomsmith said:

The Manor Estate offers some interesting names, roads such as Fairleigh and Riddings Close have been discussed elsewhere on this website. There are also Navan Road, Tuffolds Close and Travey Road which seem elusive.

Navan Road ( flat A’s ) was named after  James D’ arcy who was lord of the manor of Eckington from 1721 to 1733 who was Baron D’Arcy of Navan in Ireland. Tuffolds Close was originally named Tuffolds Way in 1924, if you look at the name it could mean two fold meaning a field that gave two fold more produce than another.

but it’s not clear where the name came from which also goes for Travey Road, usually these names come from families or farms that were in the area.

Hastilar Road is another strange name but this too is mentioned in an Eckington Court Roll, which provided also many street names in Sheffield, a Hastilar or Hustler was a messenger or letter carrier in medieval England, his main duty was taking messages to outlying areas. I’m proud to have Been born on Harborough Avenue.

27 minutes ago, Edmund said:

A tuffold is a small out-house, part of the homestead of a farm. (Hunter's Glossary)

I have also associated a Fold as a a pen for cattle and such despite my explanation of Two Fold. Good post Edmund.

The Manor Estate names were got by Thomas Walter Hall a solicitor with a great interest in local history and did many catalogues of charters. He must have been going through the court rolls of Eckington and submitted the names for the new streets. One was rejected "Strangeways". The council thought it was unsuitable due to the prison! Though if the Star (which always hated the Manor) is anything to go by, many residents ended in places like that anyway!

The rest are all associated with Mary Queen of Scots, including Scotia (the latin form of Scotland). And of course the two Civil War generals!       

Guest leksand
On 08/02/2021 at 13:59, Edmund said:

Another list of street name changes - this one from 1871.  The surprise for me was that Dearne Street Brightside had originally been called Alma Street (certainly in 1865 when the chapel was built) - and that my ancestor hadn't moved from Millsands to Brightside in the 1870s - it was just the road name that changed.

573438875_StreetNameChanges1871.thumb.png.248785cda8538a71adaaaa5240047801.png

Addendum to the above (from an SDT report on council meeting June 1871), just incase you were wondering what happened to Impey St.

18710616-SDT-EdwardImpey.jpg.affd23d82485fdd03df74eeebfaef234.jpg