Other Maps/Plans/Layoutshttps://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4458-other-mapsplanslayouts/

RichardB

Can't see this been posted before - forgive me if it has.

Luckily didn't get used for it's purpose!

http://www.germaninvasion.co.uk/townplans/index.htm

Excellent post, the prospect of incoming Jackboots from Rotherham must have been a real and terrifying prospect. Respect to those "Who've been M'i Lads and Seen M'i Lads" - home and abroad, male and female, young and old.

Royds Mill Three centuries ago

Came across this one that RichardB posted way back in 2007, link

I would say that this Topic is the rightfull home for it.

Interesting, don't remember it or posting it though :blink:

1903 Pawson and Brailsford Map

Position of churches and schools.

Contribution

thanks to member George (POPPYCHRISTINA)

I have just been browsing through these maps, and I note the presence of a tramway along Glossop Road from it's junction with Hounsfield Road to Broomhill: this can be seen on maps 3 and 4.

This line was never completed: work started at the Hounsfield Road end and the tracks reached Wilkinson Street in 1902 before worked stopped. At the Broomhill end a junction from Fulwood Road into Glossop Road was installed, but no further progress was made.

Wonder if there are any other phantom tramlines on any maps? I could be gone some time :blink:

I have just been browsing through these maps, and I note the presence of a tramway along Glossop Road from it's junction with Hounsfield Road to Broomhill: this can be seen on maps 3 and 4.

This line was never completed: work started at the Hounsfield Road end and the tracks reached Wilkinson Street in 1902 before worked stopped. At the Broomhill end a junction from Fulwood Road into Glossop Road was installed, but no further progress was made.

Wonder if there are any other phantom tramlines on any maps? I could be gone some time :blink:

Thank you MA,

I have added a note.

I don't think we have these:

City - 1906, 1922, 1928 & 1936

Courtesy of www.probertencyclopaedia.com

They say - "perfect for school projects, presentations etc and may be freely copied and used."

edit: 1906 map added

I don't think we have these:

City - 1906, 1922, 1928 & 1936

Courtesy of www.probertencyclopaedia.com

They say - "perfect for school projects, presentations etc and may be freely copied and used."

edit: 1906 map added

The 1922 map is interesting for the labelling of "South Street Moor" in that way.

1922 was the year that South Street was renamed as The Moor and I had a look at it to see which name they used.

It seems they used both!

pre: 1931

Intake - Woodhouse

Ridgeway - Mosborough

===============================

Sorry about the black polo's the map was part of a regional planning scheme

I'm searching for a map of the area of Mosborough where the Police Station is.

I'm wanting to see what used to be in that area before any of the Moss Way was built , around

the early 1900s. Can anyone help?

I'm wanting to see what used to be in that area before any of the Moss Way was built , around

That will be be to the west of where Crystal Peaks is now, I think,

will take a look.

Drake House 1905.

Drake House 19 blob.

Flash Earth

I have a 1977 1:10000 (6 inch to the mile) of that entire area

I have a 1977 1:10000 (6 inch to the mile) of that entire area

So when exactly was Crystal Peaks built?

Was it at the same time as Waterthorpe around 1980-ish?

Later, later - MetroCentre (Gateshead) was about 1981. Well before MeadowHell/Crystal Peaks .. not checked, just a guess.

So when exactly was Crystal Peaks built?

Was it at the same time as Waterthorpe around 1980-ish?

Later, later - MetroCentre (Gateshead) was about 1981. Well before MeadowHell/Crystal Peaks .. not checked, just a guess.

Stuart will know about Crystal Peaks as he lived out that way.

I think Meadowhell was around 1990-ish, but as I hate the place I wouldn't know the exact date.

Guest plain talker

Mad-as-hell was opened 1991 (*spits*)

I'm pretty certain Crystal Peaks was open from about 87, definitely by 88 as I split with my ex in 1986, and was staying with a pal across from the crystal peaks complex as it was being built, until 1987. There was a market there by early 87, as we used to use it.

Perhaps there's confusion between when it opened for business, and when it was officially opened. These things can be wide apart!

Perhaps there's confusion between when it opened for business, and when it was officially opened. These things can be wide apart!

Crystal Peaks was officially opened by Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards.

This was the design for the Manor Estate dated before 1919.

It shows things that never came about, such as lots of community centres, when only one was built. Lots of schools and the odd shaped road system at the back of the lower manor shopping centre that would become a circle! It also places the old farms etc which means you can pin-point where they would be on the completed estate.

This was the design for the Manor Estate dated before 1919.

It shows things that never came about, such as lots of community centres, when only one was built. Lots of schools and the odd shaped road system at the back of the lower manor shopping centre that would become a circle! It also places the old farms etc which means you can pin-point where they would be on the completed estate.

Top right "Proposed New Railway" - anyone know what that was?

Plan of the proposed urban railway, 1890's

Here's a Sheffield Independent article (1899) by the proposer, W.J.Lindley, giving the rationale and the details of his railway. Fitzalan Square would have looked very different: