Other Maps/Plans/Layoutshttps://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4458-other-mapsplanslayouts/

RichardB

1903 Pawson and Brailsford Map

Position of churches and schools.

Contribution

thanks to member George (POPPYCHRISTINA)

N.B.The presence of a tramway along Glossop Road from it's junction with Hounsfield Road to Broomhill:

can be seen on maps 3 and 4.

This line was never completed: work started at the Hounsfield Road end and the tracks reached Wilkinson Street in 1902 before worked stopped. At the Broomhill end a junction from Fulwood Road into Glossop Road was installed, but no further progress was made.

Thanks to our member ' madannie77'

for pointing this out

Cycling and Motoring Map of 25 Miles Round Sheffield

Got the Map, but, too large to post; trying to get the limit raised.

Wadsley Bridge & Birley Carr

(may be 1885)

map submitted by Waterside Echo

Hi `SteveHB` The clue to getting a little closer to the date of the map could be the stepping stones on Leppings Lane. When was the bridge built? W/E.

I must have posted these elsewhere, but, having come across them again, I thought I'd drop a copy here :

Sheffield and Rotherham Railway (1840)

From Drake's Road Book of the Sheffield and Rotherham Railway

With a visiters guide to the Towns of Sheffield and Rotherham (spelling as per the original document)

[Available from Google Books]

Guest Gramps

Hi `SteveHB` The clue to getting a little closer to the date of the map could be the stepping stones on Leppings Lane. When was the bridge built? W/E.

That is a copy of the 1855 6in OS map to which has been added some of the field/plot numbers in the Wadsley Bridge area. I think these field/plot numbers were used on the larger scale map but omitted from the 6 in version for a cleaner impression, although they may not have been introduced until the 1890s survey. Some boundaries have also been overdrawn so it may have been used in connection with rating valuation etc.

Edit to add that Leppings lane bridge was built in 1891 and widened from 22 feet to 45 feet in 1913.

Unfortunately I'm unable to post attachments any longer so can't upload a copy of the 1855 map to compare with.

We can't have that Gramps!

It needs sorting out, I will PM you.

Southey and District (1784)

Probably needs a modern map to compare with or superimpose or whatever.

Quick attempt,

managed to get most of the old map in view.

Quick attempt,

managed to get most of the old map in view.

Thank you, I like it; very clever idea.

1797, inverse image

Don't know what made me do this, but, the inverse image is much better than the original.

Guest Gramps

Southey and District 1850

The greens and commons already gobbled up by the landowners.

pre: 1931

Intake - Woodhouse

Ridgeway - Mosborough

===============================

Sorry about the black polo's the map was part of a regional planning scheme

--------------------------------------

Intake - Woodhouse

Ridgeway - Mosborough

===============================

Sorry about the black polo's the map was part of a regional planning scheme

Looks like your work here on these maps has finally cleared up another mystery Steve.

A few months ago in "mystery Location" topic I posted a picture of a house on Alnwick Road displaying a stone with the name "Albert Road Villas" and having asked where it mighnt be (no one would guess Alnwick Road) I asked WHY it was called that. There never was a definitive answer to this.

However your second map in the previous post clearly has Albert Road in 1931 as what is now the lower, and much narrower, part of Alnwick Road.

Don't know when the name was changed (probably when the Intake estate was built in 1939) but it certainly solves the mystery.

Albert Road

Looks like your work here on these maps has finally cleared up another mystery Steve.

A few months ago in "mystery Location" topic I posted a picture of a house on Alnwick Road displaying a stone with the name "Albert Road Villas" and having asked where it mighnt be (no one would guess Alnwick Road) I asked WHY it was called that. There never was a definitive answer to this.

However your second map in the previous post clearly has Albert Road in 1931 as what is now the lower, and much narrower, part of Alnwick Road.

Don't know when the name was changed (probably when the Intake estate was built in 1939) but it certainly solves the mystery.

Albert Road

I'm glad the maps that I posted have come in useful Dave,

obviously you know the area well,

'I dont' .. it took me about twenty minutes to find Albert Rd .. :mellow:

Well done and that's another mystery solved.

PS. whats the pub (Inn) on the map?

Killamarsh - Harthill

(part of)

This small section of map compleats the S.E. corner of the above 1931 maps.