Other Maps/Plans/Layoutshttps://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4458-other-mapsplanslayouts/

RichardB

Parts 1 and 2 via email (sent)

Parts 3 to 10 on ftp (yup, that's 10 bits, more of a jigsaw than a map !)

Please advise when you've got them.

Ta

Fishface.

Richard - is that the map that was a little bit 'broken' ? .....not surprised it's sent you doolally.

I think Doolally was a place in India that British soldiers were sent to if they went 'off the rails' lol

BTW - this is the map that was sold to me as '1920s' - not the map in the blue cover. Which perhaps accounts for the confusion :blink:

Richard - is that the map that was a little bit 'broken' ? .....not surprised it's sent you doolally.

I think Doolally was a place in India that British soldiers were sent to if they went 'off the rails' lol

BTW - this is the map that was sold to me as '1920s' - not the map in the blue cover. Which perhaps accounts for the confusion :blink:

Yes, it's the broken map, I just had to scan it, it's Steve that has the difficult job of putting the 50ish Mb of scans back together !

Doolally tap link including a picture :

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...amp;hl=doolally

Parts 1 and 2 via email (sent)

Parts 3 to 10 on ftp (yup, that's 10 bits, more of a jigsaw than a map !)

Please advise when you've got them.

Ta

Fishface.

I am now the not very proud owner of 10 bits of Map,

to a total size 373 MB :huh:

Could this be the Siege of Mapeking ?

Cod-eye's

I am now the not very proud owner of 10 bits of Map,

to a total size 373 MB :huh:

Could this be the Siege of Mapeking ?

Cod-eye's

Thats a lot of megabits

My 1950's street map is in 25 bits at the moment, but less MB's, I know the feeling

Keeping to the Railway theme, Railways of the Sheffield area

That Reminds me of my alcohol damaged brain!

Notice all the 'empty areas' on It

he he

This Geographia Streetplan has been the subject of a previous thread in an attempt to age it. 1954 seems about the popular choice.

Here is the Full Streetplan in Low Res

Here are High Res parts

A Map of Yorkshire North from London.

G. Bickham, 1754.

Bizarre perspective view featuring Bridlington hiding under the leftmost tree and Doncaster seemingly to the West of Sheffield.

A Map of Yorkshire North from London.

G. Bickham, 1754.

Bizarre perspective view featuring Bridlington hiding under the leftmost tree and Doncaster seemingly to the West of Sheffield.

1832 Map of Sheffield

Don't know if this belongs here but.

I've got a large (27" x 24) pencil drawn map dated 30.11.36 entitled

CITY OF SHEFFIELD

PROPOSED LAYOUT FOR

CIVIC Ctr.

It shows amongst others, a proposed Police HQ and Assize Court on Flat Street.

Here's a scan of one corner.

If anyone wants it they can have it.

(free to a good home, that is)

Crookes 1637 (reconstructed by G. Scurfield)

Link to Eric Youle's site, featuring Sheffield in 1637: the town and the Crookes Walkley area.

http://history.youle.info/images/Sheffield-Crooks-1637.jpg

(Kind of hard on the eyes, which is a shame because there has obviously been an enormous amount of work gone into this and I just can't read it)

Just noticed on this map that there's a Hupper Thorpe which I assume is now Upperthorpe.

Can't find any refference to it anywhere else via google.

Just noticed on this map that there's a Hupper Thorpe which I assume is now Upperthorpe.

Can't find any refference to it anywhere else via google.

Not sure where Scurfield found this name as it does not appear in Harrison's Survey, - at least not in the index.

I think David Hey, in one of his many books on the Sheffield area, suggests the name Upperthorpe derives from Hooperthorpe, (a 'hooper' being a cooper or barrel-maker) and that Netherthorpe was coined as a name much later.

It's in Harrison's Survey Gramps, but a victim of ˜creative indexing"!

There are 4 entries in the index under Upperthorpe (although there are in fact 5 entries in the list, 2 being on the same page) , and 4 under ˜Upperthorpe Lane".

If you follow up the actual entries, of the 5 under Upperthorpe, 3 of the entries are Upperthorpe and 1 is ˜Hupper Thorpe" and 1 is ˜Huppathorpe".

The 4 under Upperthorpe Lane are 1 "Hupperhorpe", and 3 ˜ Huppathorpe".

The entries for Upperthorpe are:

Freehold and Copyhold Rents within the Soke of Sheffeild

Walkley

Hugh Fox for land at Upperthorpe.....2 shillings and 2pence

Freeholders

John Rawson of Upperthorpe ...8 shillings and 10 pence

John Rawson of Upperthorpe....1 shilling and 6 pence

The Rents of tenements and lands lying in the Soake and Parish of Sheffield

Landes in the use of the Lord

John Rawson for Hupper Thorpe.....£13 .6s..8d

Tenants at Will

Plot no 556...Imprimis ye Scite of a Tenement called Huppathorpe with a dwelling house a Barne a Hayhouse a Stable & a Tann Office with a croft thereto adjoyneing lying next unto Lidgitt Lane North & abutteth upon Church feild East and a Lane leading to Crookesmoore West

& cont. 1 acre-2 rood-31 perch

The entries for Upperthorpe Lane are:

Plot no 518...Item a Meadow called Sheramore Intacke lying next to Hupperthorpe Lane towards ye North west & Whitehouse Lane North East & a little lane South & cont 4 acres-3 rood-16 perch.

Plot no 591...Item two Closes called Sheramoore Closes whereof the first is meadow, and lyeth next unto white house lane towards the North East, & abutteth upon Huppathorpe Lane South east & the lands of Thomas Scargill North east & Containeth 2 acres 1 rood 6½ perch.

Plot no 592...Item the second close is arrable land & lyeth between Huppathorpe Lane towards the South east & the lands of Thomas Scargill north east & abutteth upon the last piece & Cont 4 acres-0 rood-31 perch.

Plot no 555...Item a peice of Pasture called Lidgitt Lane lying betweene ye last piece in parte [Plot 554, Church feild] & Smithey Croft in parte South West & ye lands if John Rawson in parte and Thomas Skargell in parte North East & abutteth upon Huppathorpe Lane South East & a Lane leading from Daniell Hill to Crookesmoore West & cont 2 acres-0 rood- 31perch.

Here's the relevant bit of the map. Upperthorpe Lane isn't readily visible, but from the description is the line of Water Lane heading NE below Sheramoore closes

Not sure where Scurfield found this name as it does not appear in Harrison's Survey, - at least not in the index.

I think David Hey, in one of his many books on the Sheffield area, suggests the name Upperthorpe derives from Hooperthorpe, (a 'hooper' being a cooper or barrel-maker) and that Netherthorpe was coined as a name much later.

There was a cooperage on Upperthorpe until the mid 70s, it was across the road from where I lived.

On the map is the Sheramore the now Shalesmoor and Water Lane the Watery Lane that led off from Upperthorpe?

It’s in Harrison’s Survey Gramps, but a victim of ‘creative indexing’!

Thanks - I didn't look very thoroughly :rolleyes:

Do you have a transcript of the survey or did you type all that info from the book ?