Other Maps/Plans/Layoutshttps://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4458-other-mapsplanslayouts/

RichardB

From Sheffield and its Region "A Scientific & Historical Survey" - British Association for the Advancement of Science 1956

From Sheffield and its Region "A Scientific & Historical Survey" - British Association for the Advancement of Science 1956

The population figures quoted on this map (bottom left part) are for 1901 & 1891, obviously census date, the whole layout of the map looks very similar to other late 19c colour maps.

If it is a 1920's map, (can't myself see where 1920 is mentioned) "Bacon" must have just re-used an older map.

I've been comparing it with the 1905 OS map and there are some indicators to it's date although they seem contradictory. In the Sharrow area for example this map shows the church on the corner of Sharrow lane and South View road which I believe was built around 1905, yet nearby roads such as South View crescent, Rampton road and Ainsty road are devoid of houses which contradicts the 1905 OS map.

Perhaps all we can claim for it is that it dates from about 1905/06. Perhaps the tram routes can give a better indication ? My tramways book is on loan at present so I can't check.

Guest plain talker

I've been comparing it with the 1905 OS map and there are some indicators to it's date although they seem contradictory. In the Sharrow area for example this map shows the church on the corner of Sharrow lane and South View road which I believe was built around 1905, yet nearby roads such as South View crescent, Rampton road and Ainsty road are devoid of houses which contradicts the 1905 OS map.

Perhaps all we can claim for it is that it dates from about 1905/06. Perhaps the tram routes can give a better indication ? My tramways book is on loan at present so I can't check.

It is quite feasible that the map you refer to predates the 1905 map, for the following reason:-

There were two church buildings belonging to the Methodist church at South view road/ Sharrow Lane junction.

The first incarnation of the church, a very simple building, which was closest to south view road, was built in the 1880s, (1889 to be precise) and the congregation rapidly outgrew the building, by around 1900. (you can still see the dedication stones, and the carved decorative lintel which reads "Methodist New Connexion 1889")

In 1906, the second, larger church building was opened, immediately adjacent to the first, just above it, on the frontage to Sharrow Lane. The original church building was relegated to the status of "Church Hall" (look for photographs on picturesheffield of "Sharrow Methodist church" for the opening ceremony in 1906.)

My ex-husband and I were caretakers at the church some fifteen years ago. I have in my possession a copy of the church's history, written by the late Ken Styring, who was the church secretary. It tells of the joining of the church with defunct Methodist churches in south street and franklin street, and the congregation of the bombed-out John Street Methodist church being enfolded within the membership.

By the early 1990s the congregation had dwindled to very few,and sadly, the church became unsustainable, and by 2005 had been forced to close down, just shy of the "new" building's centenary.

It is quite feasible that the map you refer to predates the 1905 map, for the following reason:-

There were two church buildings belonging to the Methodist church at South view road/ Sharrow Lane junction.

The first incarnation of the church, a very simple building, which was closest to south view road, was built in the 1880s, (1889 to be precise) and the congregation rapidly outgrew the building, by around 1900. (you can still see the dedication stones, and the carved decorative lintel which reads "Methodist New Connexion 1889")

In 1906, the second, larger church building was opened, immediately adjacent to the first, just above it, on the frontage to Sharrow Lane. The original church building was relegated to the status of "Church Hall" (look for photographs on picturesheffield of "Sharrow Methodist church" for the opening ceremony in 1906.)

Thank you. Your info would suggest that the '1920s' map posted above dates from somewhere between 1889 and 1906.

So there is still some detective work to do lol

I love to watch people discuss this stuff. I enjoy the evidence provided and the counter-arguments, basically discussion.

Tremendous stuff, I'm just Mr Content-generator - enjoying it muchly.

Thank you.

This is a photo of a picture that my mum has. (sorry for the poor quality, it's taken through glass)

It's dated 1745, and the following is written below the picture:

"Sheffield or Sheafield stands in the southern part of the West Riding of Yorkshire where the two Rivers Dun and Sheaf meet, to which last it owes it's name. This town was anciently famous for making the iron heads of arrows, and is celebated by Chaucer 300 years ago for the blades of knives worked there; by degrees it hath much improved in all manner of cutlers ware.

Its situation is delightful and somewhat uncommon, it being seated on a round hill in the midst of a valley which is surrounded by many higher hills: This supplies it with many valuable falls of water necessary for carrying on the manufacture of the place. This advantage of streams to turn their mills, together with great plenty of coal in its neighbourhood render it perhaps the fittest place in the kingdom for the business which is here carried on. It had a very strong old castle which belong'd to the Lovetofts, the Lords Furnival and the Talbots, Earls of Shrewsbury. In which Mary Queen of Scots remained a prisoner for 16 or 17 years under the custody of George Earl of Shrewsbury. This castle was built in the reign of King Henry III and after the death of King Charles I, was demolished. Here is a market every Tuesday and Thursday. Fairs, one on Tuesday after Trinity sunday, and another on the 28 November. The Manor of Sheffield, which extends in length 18 miles and in breadth upwards of 8 miles, did formerly belong to the Earls of Shrewsbury; but now to his Grace the Duke of Norfolk."

Jeremy

Thanks for that picture Jeremy. It's Samuel and Nathaniel Buck's prospect of Sheffield, 1745. You only ever see sections of the picture in books because of the width. Nice to see the whole of it...I imagine that print will be worth a bit these days.

There is some fantastic detail in the full size picture, - this a small clip David Hey uses in his book THE FIERY BLADES OF HALLAMSHIRE

How I'd love to see "the real" picture.

I read the book, but, I had to go on a transatlantic flight with no other reading material - the kind of book that takes several reads to fully understand, well, anything at all - or, I could just be thick !

Plan of the proposed urban railway, 1890's

Not sure if all the following belongs here - feel free to move it...

Sheffield Local Register

3 Jun 1899

Scheme by Mr W. J. Lindley, C.E., for a new

city and suburban railway for Sheffield printed in

the " Independent."

12 Jul 1899

City Council: ... Mr. Lindley's suburban

railway project described as a "wild cat scheme";

Amusing that Walkley is marked only by the Reformatory.

The 'condemned area' which is the site of the proposed goods

station is presumably the crofts, where demolition was in progress

or imminent.

added...

Sheffield Local Register

15 Dec 1907

Death of Mr. William John Lindley, C.E. of

Sheffield, aged 64 years. He was the author of a

Scheme for a Sheffield and District railway to take

in districts not tapped by the local railways, and to

form one large central station for all the railways

in the centre of the town.

Hugh

The population figures quoted on this map (bottom left part) are for 1901 & 1891, obviously census date, the whole layout of the map looks very similar to other late 19c colour maps.

If it is a 1920's map, (can't myself see where 1920 is mentioned) "Bacon" must have just re-used an older map.

I suspect Stuart's right. If you look at the Hunter's bar area, it shows it as it was no later than the turn of the 18-1900's. The dam and works for the Lescar wheel are still there, but Steel Rd which was built around the turn of the century is missing.

Then if you look at the middle of town, we have South Street, but at the top end it's Moor. South Street became the Moor over it's whole length in 1922. But the word Moor looks as if it's been added later, different size and typeface, it doesn't look right. But again the fact it's there suggests the map is a 1920's publication.

(So there's Mr Bacon. He's spent months adding modern detail to his early 1900's map, and finally it's finished. he's walking into town to the printer's when he looks up and there's a bloke on a ladder taking down the South Street sign and replacing it with one that says 'The Moor'.[Expletive deleted] he says and goes home to try again!)

I suspect Stuart's right. If you look at the Hunter's bar area, it shows it as it was no later than the turn of the 18-1900's. The dam and works for the Lescar wheel are still there, but Steel Rd which was built around the turn of the century is missing.

Then if you look at the middle of town, we have South Street, but at the top end it's Moor. South Street became the Moor over it's whole length in 1922. But the word Moor looks as if it's been added later, different size and typeface, it doesn't look right. But again the fact it's there suggests the map is a 1920's publication.

(So there's Mr Bacon. He's spent months adding modern detail to his early 1900's map, and finally it's finished. he's walking into town to the printer's when he looks up and there's a bloke on a ladder taking down the South Street sign and replacing it with one that says 'The Moor'.[Expletive deleted] he says and goes home to try again!)

Items missing in the Neepsend area, Power station 1904, Manners Street, Parkwood Allotments, Hillfoot School, Sandbed Road, Waterford road.

One for RichardB as he likes cutlery, Henry Mills cutlers house is about a third of the way up Pickering Road on the left, the square house in between the E & S of estate, the tiny sqare building in the next plot up was a sort of folly known as the castle house belonging to the same property.

Another missing item is St. Cuthbert's church in Fir Vale. Construction was begun in July 1901 and the church was consecrated in July 1902.

Anyway...whatever the date, the map is one of the better street plans of the time, extending as it does far into the future, and still mostly rural, suburbs of Sheffield.

It had been tucked away on a shelf and rarely consulted because of its condition and now, thanks to the efforts of Richard and Steve is available to all users of the forum. I'm very pleased they managed to scan and present it in such detail.

gramps

Geographia Large Scale Plan of Sheffield

Price 3/-

No date of this one; so your best guesses will be welcome (should we ever manage to get the thing scanned and posted !). This is going to test our skills and endurance so please be patient while we scratch our heads and go a bit doolally - what does doolally mean ? is there a picture of the bridge somewhere on this site ?)

Has anybody seen SteveHB ? lol:blink: lol

Geographia Large Scale Plan of Sheffield

Price 3/-

No date of this one; so your best guesses will be welcome (should we ever manage to get the thing scanned and posted !). This is going to test our skills and endurance so please be patient while we scratch our heads and go a bit doolally - what does doolally mean ? is there a picture of the bridge there somewhere on this site ?)

Has anybody seem SteveHB ? lol:blink:lol

What You after Now!

:unsure: