Division St pubs in the70s

Guest lynn.55

This would appear to be my contribution, some old, some new. Probably more that you asked for

Bar Coast Division Street, S1 (1998)

Devonshire Arms (1825- )

Dolphin Hotel 37 Division Street (1845- )

Forester's Inn/Yorick/The Yorl/Olive Bar 75 Division Street (1834 - )

John Bull 126 Rockingham Street (1871 - )

Lloyds No 1 2-12 Division Street (1999)

Manchester 4 Division Street (1849 - )

Mansfield Hotel 73 Division Street (1871 - )

Original John Bull 6 Division Street (1846 - )

Union 1 Division Street (1837 - ), became the Albert Pub, usually listed as 2 Coal Pit Lane (Cambridge Street)

White Lion/New White Lion 61 Division Street (1871 - )

Yates's Carver Street/Division Street (1993)

Yorkshire Stingo 50 Division Street (1833 - ), site of Fire Station.

Prince of Wales/Frog and Parrot 94 Division Street & 37 Westfield Terrace, S1 (1871 - )

There are additional details (Keepers names mainly) and some photos listed in the main Pubs A-Z threads.

Additions/corrections gratefully received; especially the keepers of those pesky modern Pubs/Bars - Bar Coast .... etc etc

Welcome to the Site :rolleyes:

Hope you find something of interest and that you are willing and able to contribute.

Not sure when this one got it's current name or when it opened or whether it was a pub before!

Frog and Parrott 94 Division Street

My hubbys asked if anyone can remember what the pubs were called on Division St in the 70s

If my memory serves me right, in the 70's after the Albert (which as Richard say's would be classed as Cambridge St, there was the Foresters on the corner of Division St and Rockingham St. The next pub along would be the Frog & Parrot, but that is on Devonshire St. Then we got to the Raven/Hornblower on Fitzwilliam St.

Can not really think of any more pubs on Division St, obviously copius quantities of beer in the 70's has killed a lot of "little grey cells"

I am interested to see what I have missed.

It was The Prince of Wales, my notes say Frog and Parrot from 1982. I believe it was earlier because the Chinese New Year and the first Thatcher election co-incided, and Roger, at this Pub brewed an "Erection Beer" combining Election and Chinese pronunciation, sure the place was converted by then (1979).

Had an amazing plate glass entrance.

Not sure when this one got it's current name or when it opened or whether it was a pub before!

Frog and Parrott 94 Division Street

HI Dunsbyowl, The last landlord at the Prince Of Wales,[ before F/N Parrot],was Ken Keen [65/70 era,] son of Ken Keen, the pre-war Wed footballer, who kept the Angel at the end of Button lne and the Moor ,the younger Ken was a pal of my bro; and mine , l once went to see him af ter he moved to his next pub which was at the Ekington crossroads but can't recall the name ,Cheers Skeets PS[ Open to contradiction]

It was The Prince of Wales, my notes say Frog and Parrot from 1982. I believe it was earlier because the Chinese New Year and the first Thatcher election co-incided, and Roger, at this Pub brewed an "Erection Beer" combining Election and Chinese pronunciation, sure the place was converted by then (1979).

Had an amazing plate glass entrance.

I seem to recall - Did he not also brew an exceedingly strong ale called "Roger and Out" which they would only serve in Halves?

Yes and very strong it was too. I think it held some kind of record for beer-strength. More of a Barley-wine mixed with Meths if I remember correctly.

Guest lynn.55

Thanks Guys, he now remembers the Frog and Parrot and the Pince of Wales but he says there was another one that faced the Prince of Wales. Was it he says the Orchard or something along those lines.We were talking about the pubs we use to visitin the 70s on a friday and saturday nights. We would start off at the Beehive on West St and and a couple of pubs on our way down. Then into the Stonehouse,Buccaneer,Dove and Rainbow,Nelson Wopentect,Wetstones,Old Blue Bell,Black Swan,Hen and Chickens and finish up in the Penny Black or Crazy Daisy night club You could say we were a bit worst for wear at the end of the night( thats putting it mildly ) Can anyone else remember town pubs of the 70s, i am sure i have missed some out.

Thanks Guys, he now remembers the Frog and Parrot and the Pince of Wales but he says there was another one that faced the Prince of Wales. Was it he says the Orchard or something along those lines.We were talking about the pubs we use to visitin the 70s on a friday and saturday nights. We would start off at the Beehive on West St and and a couple of pubs on our way down. Then into the Stonehouse,Buccaneer,Dove and Rainbow,Nelson Wopentect,Wetstones,Old Blue Bell,Black Swan,Hen and Chickens and finish up in the Penny Black or Crazy Daisy night club You could say we were a bit worst for wear at the end of the night( thats putting it mildly ) Can anyone else remember town pubs of the 70s, i am sure i have missed some out.

One place I would never forget was the awful "Pig & Whistle" - was that on Leopold Street? There was no danger of getting worse for wear in there - I reckon they watered the beer down!

The RED DEER on Pit st was a popular pub in those days. Did you mean the Foresters accross from the Prince. Skeets