19th Century British Newspapers.

Guest Trefcon

Check to be sure your User Group ID or other authentication credentials are correct.

That's what I get; anyone got any further ?

413048 hits for Sheffield, this may take a while !

Excellent find. Thank you, indeed disappointing there aren't Sheffield papers there - but - exactly what we are looking for.

Search for

sheffield +victualler

or

sheffield +campo

or even

sheffield +corner +paradise

Make up your own, mine were Pub-related tests

Now, I just need about 400 years leisure time to make the most of this resource lol

Brilliant, Deansgirl

From a purely selfish point of view, I think we should nominate a subject and go for it while the place is available.

I could, if required, provide a listing of Pubs with no known keeper ...

I really must get round to changing my name to just DEAN!

Thanks for the link 'deansgirl'

And Don't worry about the user name,

'POPPYCHRISTINA' never lets things like that bother him ...

Do they George ... he hehe he he he

Guest Trefcon

Hi Richard,

just an heads up,

i tapped in Sheffield and then Soldiers and got a story headed, Serious outrage by Soldiers at Sheffield, L**ds mercury, 9/10/1861. Arrested along with a soldier was a Michael Mason of the Fairfield Inn, Hillfoot.

Baby now crying for his feed, so not got time to get the piece up on screen,

Dean.

Hi Richard,

just an heads up,

i tapped in Sheffield and then Soldiers and got a story headed, Serious outrage by Soldiers at Sheffield, L**ds mercury, 9/10/1861. Arrested along with a soldier was a Michael Mason of the Fairfield Inn, Hillfoot.

Baby now crying for his feed, so not got time to get the piece up on screen,

Dean.

Farfield/Muff Inn/Owl

Muff Inn ????

Guest Trefcon

No need for apologies Gramp's, i dont think there's enough of my life left to get through that lot!!

Muff-Inn, thats a Piclet in'it!!

Guest Trefcon

Mind Boggling this!

Just tapped in Pitsmoor, 400 results,

Paradise Square, over a thousand!

hope someones saving all this!!!!!!

You may have the Midas Touch, watch out ! I once downloaded HistoricalDirectories.Org - yes, that's right all of it, relating to Sheffield.

Sounds good ?

19.5 Gigabytes of it, not a problem, plenty of disk space .... 19.5 Gb of text, now that's a serious amount of text.

but ...

it was mixed up, Page 1 1857, Page 2 1871, Page 3 1857, Page 4 1822

Multiple thousands of millions of pages containing every known fact about anything Sheffield related ever - and all of it completely unusable ...

I still have it on disk thought I don't know why.

posted previously on this site as "King Midas in Reverse" (incidentally a single by The Hollies, circa 1968).

I think the HistoricalDirectories site have all their page images in a database with some odd kind of look-up table. If you save a page image to local file you'll get something like tiffnnpng.exe which most people would discard as useless. However if you rename the file as tiffnn.png you have a usable image but the resolution doesn't seem good enough for OCR.

I'm happy to use the resource as it's offered rather than try and hack it, although I appreciate the challenge of it ;-)

Nice find! Only had time for a quick scan, but the first impression was what a riotous lot they were in Sheffield! No wonder it got a reputation around the country if this is what people read in the papers. Nearly as good as Look North (don't get me started!)

Thank you very much much of my family history is deathly dull and eventually all lines end up with agricultural labourers

I don't know whether to be proud or embarrassed ! One of my gggrandfatherswho briefly lived in Sheffield in 1839/40 moved on to run a pub in Chesterfield. Obviously there he too his work seriously !

See the green highlight from the Derby Mercury Wednesday November 13th 1872

My quick scan has basically involved every spare minute since you posted this; I'm going to give the wife your home address then you'll be in bother lol

Guest Trefcon

Hello Richard,

please dont send the wife round, i cant fight!! :unsure:

Are there any gems you have found yet to post?

Dean.

I'm particularly happy with finding a keeper for the Eagle and Child, got a bunch of bankrupts to post, another murder and a couple (so far) suicides. The Bankrupts, insolvents, dividends, assaults etc etc will end up in a pinned-thingie. Watch out. Bear in mind, I'm only looking for Pubs, beerhouses etc - sure there is tons of exciting stuff - just the time/effort required to go and get it.