The Gurkhas - urgent

Bayleaf

Sorry if this seems a bit off topic, but I for one feel strongly about this. Please take the time to follow this link, and act as you see fit.

Persons from the Commonwealth who have served in our Armed Forces for 4 years gain the right to settle here, as they have forged a connection with the country, because their units' base was here.

Gurkhas who retired from the British Army after 1997 can automatically stay in the UK, but those who retired earlier must apply, and many have been refused and face deportation. Pension rights for years served by Gurkhas before 1997 count at only around a quarter of the level of years served after that time.

This deadline is because until we handed Hong Kong back to the Chinese, the regiment's base was there, not in the UK, and the Government say they have therefore no established connection with the UK.

I personally feel this is a disgraceful way to treat men who put their lives on the line for this country, and urge you to add your name to the petition. The case won against the Government recently will not change the situation, as it only refers to certain cases.

http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/

Guest Gramps

Signed up.

Came into contact with many Gurkhas when stationed at Sembawang in the early 60s. Nee Soon ws a favourite haunt and the Gurkhas 'garrison town'. Knew a few RMs who worked in Borneo with them and a good few bootnecks owe their lives to these selfless warriors.

Signed up.

Came into contact with many Gurkhas when stationed at Sembawang in the early 60s. Nee Soon ws a favourite haunt and the Gurkhas 'garrison town'. Knew a few RMs who worked in Borneo with them and a good few bootnecks owe their lives to these selfless warriors.

Thanks Gramps. Please spread the word if you can, they need as many signatures as possible.

<br />Sorry if this seems a bit off topic, but I for one feel strongly about this. Please take the time to follow this link, and act as you see fit.<br /><br />Persons from the Commonwealth who have served in our Armed Forces for 4 years gain the right to settle here, as they have forged a connection with the country, because their units' base was here.<br /><br />Gurkhas who retired from the British Army after 1997 can automatically stay in the UK, but those who retired earlier must apply, and many have been refused and face deportation. Pension rights for years served by Gurkhas before 1997 count at only around a quarter of the level of years served after that time.<br /><br />This deadline is because until we handed Hong Kong back to the Chinese, the regiment's base was there, not in the UK, and the Government say they have therefore no established connection with the UK.<br /><br />I personally feel this is a disgraceful way to treat men who put their lives on the line for this country, and urge you to add your name to the petition. The case won against the Government recently will not change the situation, as it only refers to certain cases.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

ADD MY NAME, SKEETS

<br /><br /><br />

ADD MY NAME, SKEETS

Thanks for your support. Unfortunately this has come up again because the Government has had to change the rules after a judicial inquiry said the old rules were unsupportable. So what have they come up with now?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8014265.stm

The nice bit is that Gurkhas who retired after 1997 must have served at least 4 years to be allowed to stay, which is the rule for servicemen from the Commonwealth.

However, Gurkhas who retired before 1997 must have served 20 years to qualify. The clever bit is that ordinary Gurkha riflemen are only allowed to serve a maximum of 15 years!

The Government reckons to extend the right to settle to all retired Gurkhas and their dependants would mean allowing up to 100,000 people to come here.

The campaign say it's less than 2,000, and the change of rules will only apply to around 100. Even then it's only a right to apply, each case will be decided on the 5 criteria by desk wallahs in London.

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel ashamed at the treatment they are being given.

Thanks for your support. Unfortunately this has come up again because the Government has had to change the rules after a judicial inquiry said the old rules were unsupportable. So what have they come up with now?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8014265.stm

The nice bit is that Gurkhas who retired after 1997 must have served at least 4 years to be allowed to stay, which is the rule for servicemen from the Commonwealth.

However, Gurkhas who retired before 1997 must have served 20 years to qualify. The clever bit is that ordinary Gurkha riflemen are only allowed to serve a maximum of 15 years!

The Government reckons to extend the right to settle to all retired Gurkhas and their dependants would mean allowing up to 100,000 people to come here.

The campaign say it's less than 2,000, and the change of rules will only apply to around 100. Even then it's only a right to apply, each case will be decided on the 5 criteria by desk wallahs in London.

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel ashamed at the treatment they are being given.

With apologies to Tom wee pipe and Harry, it seems that if you hate us come on in, and if you have served and put your life on the line for this country b***** off. Our so called leaders should all hang their heads in shame.

My late father worked with the Gurkha's in the Second World War

THEY LOOKED AFTER US WE SHOULD LOOK AFTER THEM.

Ive signed.

Brilliant! Thanks to everyone for your support!

Now £1,500 for a Duck Island ... claiming for a KitKat ... £15,000 mortgage for a home you don't own/have paid for/your kid lives in/is 700 yards from the Houses of Parliament/Cuddly Toy/Cruet Set/Give us a twirl, Anthea etc etc

Brilliant! Thanks to everyone for your support!

Our pleasure Bayleaf.

A well deserved win for doing the right thing by people who served this country well.

I have already received an eMail from Ms. Lumley re. the announcement by the Government this lunchtime.