The Roxy Page Hall

dunsbyowl1867

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

The Roxy was quite a long way from where we lived in Paget Street, Newhall, in the 1940s, but my mother had a spell as an usherette there, and I shall always remember that it was at the Roxy that I first saw the film The Jolson Story, starring Larry Parkes and Evelyn Keyes. I was hooked on Jolson from that moment, and for some years I went to any cinema in Sheffield where I could see either The Jolson Story or Jolson Sings Again. Sad? Well, perhaps, but they were good days!

I assume this was the Roxy looking a bit worse for wear in November 2008

I lived only about 200 yards from the Roxy. I was born in 1944 but have no memories of going to kids picture shows there ( always seemed to go to the Victory or occasionally Sunbeam). Maybe it didn't do Saturday morning kids shows or I went to the Victory ( or Bug Hut as we called it) because I went to Grimesthorpe Junior school and went to pics with school friends.

Anybody know what year the Roxy closed ?

John

I lived only about 200 yards from the Roxy. I was born in 1944 but have no memories of going to kids picture shows there ( always seemed to go to the Victory or occasionally Sunbeam). Maybe it didn't do Saturday morning kids shows or I went to the Victory ( or Bug Hut as we called it) because I went to Grimesthorpe Junior school and went to pics with school friends.

Anybody know what year the Roxy closed ?

John

As a cinema around 1959. For full history see under A-Z pinned list. (scroll down)

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...=3770&st=40

The Roxy, Idsworth Rd. Also known as The Page Hall Cinema. -

Originally named The Page Hall Cinema, it was opened in May of 1920. The mainly brick building was sited on a fairly steep slope with steps leading to the entrance.The ornamental roof parapet featured circular windows. Seating capacity, including the balcony was around 1,300. Six months later a cafe was opened which became a popular venue for whist drives. By 1921 a billiard Room had been added with eight full sized tables. These additions continued and in 1929 a ballroom was added in the area behind the screen with it's own entrance. Sound was not introduced until late 1931, the last Sheffield cinema to make the switch.

In 1945 the cinema was acquired by Buxton Theatres Circuit Ltd and renamed The Roxy.

For the next six months all matinee performances were suspended to allow re-seating and other renovations. The cinema changed hands again just a year later in 1946 and came under the management of Reiss Cinemas Ltd. Jack Reiss was active in the day to day running of the cinema despite being based in Leeds. Sunday openings had been introduced in January of 1946, but were dropped in October of that year, possibly due to the change of ownership. They would be resumed in February 1947.

A fire in January 1958, probably originating behind the screen area, damaged the cinema quite badly and destroyed a new screen installed just two months earlier.

This screen had almost certainly been installed in the for the introduction of CinemaScope presentations. It would be June of 1958 when the Roxy reopened with a screening of Bridge on the River Kwai.

Film presentations ceased in June of 1959 and Bingo took over the main auditorium. The ballroom became a dance school.

Info: Sheffield Cinemas.

Picture copyright Harry Ainscough http://www.copperbeechstudios.co.uk/archiv...~level6=~cart=~