The Hall of Waltheof

Guest Jeremy

Thanks Bayleaf,

I will look at the book, meantime, I quote -

“The most obvious feature of the medieval park was that which defined its shape, the park pale. As surviving earthworks they normally appear as banks with a broad internal ditch".

My previous point, parks were enclosed? I have been given a copy of the "Harrison map" which shows a defined area. Stannington wood shows a none - defined boundary

The acreage was exact as well

What do you reckon to this idea, area marked in red?

I think the distinction shows up on the map, the park has, as you say, a clearly defined boundary, whereas Stannington Wood hasn't, and is marked as common land. The park is reserved for the lord of the manor or other owner, the Wood is used by others with commoners rights to wood, grazing etc.

I don't know if this adds anything useful;

If you’re going into Local Studies to look up the Yorkshire Archaeological Journal for the maps, you might like to have a look at the same journal, volume 4 p109-20, there’s an article by David Hey on the development of the Parks at Tankersley and Wortley.

Not having a deal of luck finding the Scurfield maps etc.

I have found the Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol 4 but obviously the wrong one but could not find an alternative before running out of time. Was it Vol 4 for the maps or is this another volume?

Also the "Hall of Waltheof" was removed for repair. I notice there is now reprint, anyone seen it?

I am still searching for the Mr Derby mentioned by Addy but too little to go on so far. He is not in any of the who,s who type books.

thanks

mike

Not having a deal of luck finding the Scurfield maps etc.

I have found the Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol 4 but obviously the wrong one but could not find an alternative before running out of time. Was it Vol 4 for the maps or is this another volume?

Also the "Hall of Waltheof" was removed for repair. I notice there is now reprint, anyone seen it?

I am still searching for the Mr Derby mentioned by Addy but too little to go on so far. He is not in any of the who,s who type books.

thanks

mike

Sorry for any confusion Mike. The vol 4 reference was to the David Hey article. The reference for the article by Scurfield with the maps is

Scurfield, G (1986) 17th Century Sheffield and its environs, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, vol 58, pages 147-171

Sorry for any confusion Mike. The vol 4 reference was to the David Hey article. The reference for the article by Scurfield with the maps is

Scurfield, G (1986) 17th Century Sheffield and its environs, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, vol 58, pages 147-171

I think it was I who didnt read your instructions carefully, thanks

Hello all,

This is a bit of a long shot given the time lapse on this topic! What are anyone's thoughts on Liberty Hill? I wondered if the name suggested it might be under a regalian right from, perhaps, Beauchief Abbey? It would be interesting to know given the proximity of a possible hall.

To throw another idea into the mix.... There are records of a "Castle" at Goodyfield woods.  Addy mentions local residents giving oral evidence of this existing. If one looks at the Lidar... there is certainly strong evidence there is something there.  Taking a walk along the path from Rivelin up to Stannington, there is a definite prominence with a flattened top in the field behind the cottages,.

"According to local tradition a "castle" stood half a mile to the south of the manor house, in the field which, on the six-inch Ordnance Map of 1855, adjoins the eastern side of Goodyfield Wood. This would be a very likely place for a Roman villa, as it is nearly at the foot of the hill, and well protected from the winds. The field in which the "castle" is said to have stood is near an eminence described as Goodyfield Rock, and shown on the right side of the frontispiece of this book" Taken from Hall of Waltheof

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 13.46.14.png

IMG_3347.jpeg

IMG_8772.JPG

IMG_3346.jpeg

• Like 1