Only the gate posts are left

Stuart0742

As you walk and drive around Sheffield, you often see old redundant gate posts. What was within these gates, what stories are there

Post your gate post photos and see what we have

I noticed these the other day

They are on Sheffield Rd at Hackenthorpe, at the traffic lights as Donesk Way and the the tram go right towards Crystal Peaks

I believe they were the entrance to Cotleigh House, anybody know any details, or have a pre 1950's map

I haven't any pics, but I know of three sets of old gate-posts in the Fir vale area.

On Firth Park road, set into the wall of St, Cuthnert's church is a little gate with two large posts. Thes were formerly at the entrance to Skinnerthorpe farm.

On Hinde House lane - opposite the end of Little Bolsover are two posts at the side of a house from which used to hang the gate at the entrance to Page Hall farm.

On the left hand side of Barnsley road - just past the top of Bolsover road are two large posts set into the boundary wall of the hospital. I'm not sure if these were at one time an entrance to the workhouse, but in any case before the workhouse was built the drive here used to lead to a property called Barrow Field on the 1850s OS map...in the valley below Bolsover cottages.

And there used to be two posts at the bottom of Wensley street, opposite the chapel, which were from the entrance to Manor farm.

Just remembered another set of gate-posts near the entrance to Longley Park opposite the top of Stubbin Lane. These formerly belonged to the drive to Crowder/Crowther house. The house was demolished around 1935 and I believe most of the grounds to the house became Longley Park.

I haven't any pics, but I know of three sets of old gate-posts in the Fir vale area.

On Firth Park road, set into the wall of St, Cuthnert's church is a little gate with two large posts. Thes were formerly at the entrance to Skinnerthorpe farm.

On Hinde House lane - opposite the end of Little Bolsover are two posts at the side of a house from which used to hang the gate at the entrance to Page Hall farm.

On the left hand side of Barnsley road - just past the top of Bolsover road are two large posts set into the boundary wall of the hospital. I'm not sure if these were at one time an entrance to the workhouse, but in any case before the workhouse was built the drive here used to lead to a property called Barrow Field on the 1850s OS map...in the valley below Bolsover cottages.

And there used to be two posts at the bottom of Wensley street, opposite the chapel, which were from the entrance to Manor farm.

Just remembered another set of gate-posts near the entrance to Longley Park opposite the top of Stubbin Lane. These formerly belonged to the drive to Crowder/Crowther house. The house was demolished around 1935 and I believe most of the grounds to the house became Longley Park.

Hi Gramps - going to see me mum latter this week - will try to photo these you have mentioned then!

As requested by Gramps - the former gates to Crowder House

Gramps says -

Until 1930 there was only the main entrance at Fir Vale leading into the workhouse (now NGH Hospital) grounds but there was a back entrance for trades stuff.

Duties of the Under Porter

1. To attend to the back gates of the hospital and keep them locked permitting only tradespeople on business and the ambulance to pass in or out.

2. Not to allow any officer of the institution to enter or pass out at the back gates.

3. Not to leave the premises without the permission of the Medical Superintendent.

4. To obey orders of the Medical Superintendent.

Lyn

Thanks for that Lyn. There doesn't seem to have been any kind of 'Lodge' at that gate - perhaps the under-porter had to hoof it up the hill lol

Guest Trefcon

There are two stone gate posts in the wall that runs past Crabtree pond, adjacent to Barnsley Road. On Godfreys Sheffield (North) 1905 map you can see the steps that led from the gate to the 'neck' end of the pond. I beleive the pond was part of Crabtree Lodge grounds.

Also going up East Bank Rd, just after the pub on the left, there are two round metal gate posts still standing. These might have led to East Cliffe House?

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

I remember Oakwood well!! There was a fire escape by the left hand side of the building, we crept in there when it was derelict one day, proceeded down to the cellar with our torches, looking for things, in the cellar in our torch beams there was a large wardrobe like cupboard, opened the door, bright shiny buttons of Mr Plod!!!!!!!!!

Ran like *%&* to get out of there to the laughter of Mr Plod!!!

Gramps says -

Until 1930 there was only the main entrance at Fir Vale leading into the workhouse (now NGH Hospital) grounds but there was a back entrance for trades stuff.

Duties of the Under Porter

1. To attend to the back gates of the hospital and keep them locked permitting only tradespeople on business and the ambulance to pass in or out.

2. Not to allow any officer of the institution to enter or pass out at the back gates.

3. Not to leave the premises without the permission of the Medical Superintendent.

4. To obey orders of the Medical Superintendent.

Lyn

Not sure if these are the on'e Gramps mentioned ?

Here's an easy one. (Names removed as it was too easy!). Where did these lead to, and what well-known people lived there?

Guest Gramps

Not sure if these are the on'e Gramps mentioned ?

I'd forgotten about those, - that's the pedestrian access. There are another two further back on Barnsley road with a bricked-up carriage access between them.

BTW I was told that the stone-walling there is the original from when the road was turnpiked in 1758/9. Some of the front garden walls on the steep bit of Barnsley road also have the original stone walling.

Guest Gramps

Here's an easy one. (Names removed as it was too easy!). Where did these lead to, and what well-known people lived there?

Probably wrong but they remind me of the gates to Holt House on Bannerdale road ?

I'd forgotten about those, - that's the pedestrian access. There are another two further back on Barnsley road with a bricked-up carriage access between them.

BTW I was told that the stone-walling there is the original from when the road was turnpiked in 1758/9. Some of the front garden walls on the steep bit of Barnsley road also have the original stone walling.

Will this be 'them' then ? though there only appears to be one!

Probably wrong but they remind me of the gates to Holt House on Bannerdale road ?

Right-ish side of town Gramps but not Holt House I'm afraid

Guest Gramps

Will this be 'them' then ? though there only appears to be one!

There probably only ever was one - but there were two in my fading memory he he . Behind that dog-leg in the brick wall is the remnant of an old roadway that, a long time ago, led to Barrowfield Farm.

Thanks for the pics. Reminds me of when I used to walk the dog up to Longley Bridge and back. Those woods used to be known as Brush House common - perhaps owned by the council these days.

There probably only ever was one - but there were two in my fading memory he he . Behind that dog-leg in the brick wall is the remnant of an old roadway that, a long time ago, led to Barrowfield Farm.

Thanks for the pics. Reminds me of when I used to walk the dog up to Longley Bridge and back. Those woods used to be known as Brush House common - perhaps owned by the council these days.

We lived on Ellerton Road for a while and I used to walk through the wood on my way top catch the school bush at Sheffield Lane Top!

I did walk around St Cuthberts looking for the Skinnerthorpe gates but stooped short and only noticed them when I was driving home! They are just past these convenient pavemnt works - will try again sometime unless someone else is passing lol

Within the grounds of the old workhouse at Fir Vale was a house called the Beeches. This was just above where the Barnsley Raod entrance is now. If you look on the Alan Godfrey map of Longley I think it is - then you will see the Beeches. It was there before the workhouse was built in 1878 and had different uses at different times. At the turn of the century it was used as a children's home and also used later as a dispensary. A walk through at this time of year may show up the old brick wall that surrounded it. As soon as you enter the Barnsley Road entrance turn immediately right onto the footpath through the wooded part. The old Beeches wall will be on your left so far up. Some old workhouse pottery was found here some years ago when new gas pipes were laid.

From Life in the Old Workhouse - The Guardians decided that The Beeches, a house within the boundary of the Workhouse on the Barnsley Road side of the workhouse, should be altered and house class A & B persons. An entrance could be made in the workhouse side of the boundary wall. At this time Mr J. Knight was the tenant. He was given notice to leave but allowed to rent on a monthly basis until the final decision was made. It was later used for other purposes.

In October 1902 the visiting committee resolved that the Children's Committee should 'set the Beeches at liberty' so they could house epileptics of the same sex. It was agreed that this should be done as soon as possible.

By 1908 it is known the Beeches was being used as a dispensary and was used as such until around 1930. (In 1908 a Mr Antcliffe was the dispenser and there had been a fire in one of the rooms.) The Beeches can also be seen on an 1880 map surrounded by a wall.

in the 1930s years the children of Firth Park were offered the Beeches, a house on the Barnsley Rd side of the hospital belonging to the hospital, to use as a youth club so long as they (and their parents) decorated it. They used this until 1939 when the ARP/Civil Defence requisitioned it for fire watching activities.

I have never seen a photograph of it and there doesn't appear to be one in Local Studies Library.

Lyn

I'm thinking S10 area perhaps one of university halls of residence

About as far away as Gramps's guess in the other direction.S10's not far off though! Think bit further out.

Is it the entrance to the Guide Camp at Whitley Woods on Common Lane?

Guest Gramps

snip--------

I have never seen a photograph of it and there doesn't appear to be one in Local Studies Library.

Lyn

Thanks for that Lyn, I've often wondered about the history of that place. The plan of the house can be seen here...

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/She...ap1890-2500.gif

A shame there is no picture of it. I remember (in the 70s) there was a remnant of the boundary wall above an almost sheer drop into the dyke below and some of the foundations were still visible then.

On the plan I've linked to above, Barrowfield was in the top right hand corner, about where the staff car park is these days.

In 1841 the farmer there was Samuel Whitaker, who later farmed from The Hagg - another property sacrificed by the Guardians of the Poor in the name of progress ;-)