Only the gate posts are left

Stuart0742

Brought forward because the answer to this one is niggling me lol

Its niggling me and I posted the picture in the 1st instance, but cannot for the life of me remember where!

Its niggling me and I posted the picture in the 1st instance, but cannot for the life of me remember where!

Well that's another fine mess you've landed us in sando !

lol

One Gate post in an oddly shaped recess at the corner of Endcliffe Park.

It isn't anything to do with The Peace Guesthouse because it is outside the border of it's garden.

EDIT: or maybe it was, at some point in the past"

I suppose it is what's left of a redundant entrance to the park.

It isn't anything to do with The Peace Guesthouse because it is outside the border of it's garden.

Shown as an alternative entrance to the park on the 1905 OS map.

HD

Guest bullerboy

Just remembered another set of gate-posts near the entrance to Longley Park opposite the top of Stubbin Lane. These formerly belonged to the drive to Crowder/Crowther house. The house was demolished around 1935 and I believe most of the grounds to the house became Longley Park.

As requested by Gramps - the former gates to Crowder House

I always thought these were the gate posts to the Stubbing?

On 10/07/2011 at 17:19, Syl said:

I used to pass those gate posts every day . I used to live on Richmond Hill road the road leading down to the big park. However these gate posts are near to where Brook school was. I can remember the farm being demolished in 1966 the year that I got married. Further down the road past the school and nearer to Handsworth is Richmond park road and the estate. I can remember this all being fields as well and you could walk through to Darnall . Lamb Hill farm used to be where the Richmond Hall estate is now and not at all far away on Richmond road I am not sure if there is any connection.

There is a bit about the area here that mentions Lamb Hill being a hamlet.

http://www.treetonweb.co.uk/parish/handsworth.htm

Those post were originally the Intake Gate to Sheffield Park. The house where they originally stood alongside belonged to a chap called Burrowe Trippett, the posts were far too grand far the house that he built. And indeed someone at the Handsworth Historical Society told me that they had a bill of sale or something on those lines to say that he had purchased them from the Duke of Norfolk after Sheffield Park was diss-parked. They hadn't been up very long for a survey in 1685 describes them as the "new Intacke Yate" on the private road that ran up hill from Park Hill. These were the gates that were locked up to stop people using the road and feature in the 1692 dispute. They would have stood where the Asda Car Park is at Manor Top. 

Park Gates001.jpg

On Woodhouse Road are two paths leading to the Woodthorpe Estate. The following photos were taken by me in the 1980's. They both have gateposts to buildings long gone. The first picture shows more simple gateposts these lead up to Cottage Farm which would have been at the end of the path, now replaced with the Woodthorpe Estate. The next picture is located just a bit further down the road and these are more grander for they were on the original path to the Woodthorpe Hall itself. At the top of the path it turned a sharp right to a driveway that brought you out at the Hall and Woodthorpe Farm. Two close ups of the posts show the carvings.

Lane to Woodthorpe Estate.jpg

Path to Woodthorpe with former gateposts.jpg

Gatepost to Woodthorpe Hall 1.jpg

Gatepost to Woodthorpe Hall 2.jpg

On 28/01/2012 at 09:55, vox said:

post-3521-0-79266300-1327744470_thumb.jpg

This is the house where Pablo Picasso stayed during the peace conference in Sheffield in 1950.

Before Endcliffe Park existed (opened 1887) there was a track off Brocco Bank leading to the Endcliffe Wheel, and there were two gateposts shown on the OS map.  By the time of the 1892 map they seem to have moved closer to the main road.

HuntersBar1851.png.1ca0289431e833b1d43a4092ccdd4c07.png

HuntersBar1892.png.71f47f3dbbce62c7a28eb3031874a11f.png

A couple of maps here.  Looks like a gateway into the field which became a sports field by 1935.  There was an adjacent walled area with trees and a spring /pond /trough at various times.

Sandygate1850.png.c0e5c672db881ca4ab671ad15968a44a.png

Sandygate1935.png.92da68375d609a0485b65b68a008fb28.png

• Thanks 1