Only the gate posts are left

Stuart0742

Guest Trefcon

This from just inside Wolley Wood at the Concorde Road entrance, to your left. They obviously look like old farmers field gatepost's.

Sando's last post moved to Mystery Location topic

No it wasn't....this is the Gateposts topic !! :blink:;-)

Anyway - if I remember correctly Greenoak House stood opposite the top of Mickley lane and I think it was there before 1875.

Sando - if this isn't a quizz perhaps you could tell us where you took that photo ? There's an interesting contrast in the masonry, the walling on the right looks like the kind of masonry employed by Inclosure Commissioners and Turnpike Trusts. Baslow road was turnpiked from Owlerton Bar to Highfield in 1803.

Once the location is identified perhaps it should go in the 'date stones' topic he he

Any ideas on this one?

Hi Sando

Just had a quick look around Baslow Rd nt Greenoak House can't see this wall/gatepost are you sure it was taken there

The picture was taken last week on Baslow road, Totley about 500 meters above the co-op on the opposite side, just below Grange road which could be a clue. There is only one post that I can find.

The reason I thought it may be Greenoak house was the profile of the wall to the right of the post comapred with the profile of the wall in the picture.

The picture was taken last week on Baslow road, Totley about 500 meters above the co-op on the opposite side, just below Grange road which could be a clue. There is only one post that I can find.

The reason I thought it may be Greenoak house was the profile of the wall to the right of the post comapred with the profile of the wall in the picture.

I did not look that far up, Greenoak House is I believe is the photo I had on the mystery location topic.

Not sure what was above there will have to investigate further

I did not look that far up, Greenoak House is I believe is the photo I had on the mystery location topic.

Not sure what was above there will have to investigate further

So you set a mystery question

Sando answers it correctly

and in so doing, unwittingly sets you another mystery in return

great stuff, just what we need to keep this mystery location topic going.

Following the above info I have found this gatepost

Sandos original photo

It is the gatepost to "Totley Grange" (long since gone) the present Totley Grange estate was built on the land by Wimpey's around 1964.

Originally "The Lodge" stood behind this gatepost. The Lodge stood on this site until the estate was built around 1964

There is a photo of the Lodge on Picture Sheffield

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s05413.jpg

Requested by Gramps some months ago - old gate to Skinnerthorpe Farm. Fir Vale. In the wall of St Cuthberts.

Guest Gramps

Requested by Gramps some months ago - old gate to Skinnerthorpe Farm. Fir Vale. In the wall of St Cuthberts.

Just noticed this....thank you. The posts on Upwell street are the old gateposts to a farm known as Manor Farm in Grimesthorpe.

The others I remember were on Hinde House lane opposite the junction with Little Blosover road. They were the old gateposts to Page Hall farm - the old farmhouse would have stood approximately where Hinde street crosses Robey street.

You can see Skinnerthorpe and Page Hall farms on this map...

Manor Farm is the buildings above and to the right of the 'y' in Grimesthorpe Colliery.

Just noticed this....thank you. The posts on Upwell street are the old gateposts to a farm known as Manor Farm in Grimesthorpe.

The others I remember were on Hinde House lane opposite the junction with Little Blosover road. They were the old gateposts to Page Hall farm - the old farmhouse would have stood approximately where Hinde street crosses Robey street.

You can see Skinnerthorpe and Page Hall farms on this map...

Manor Farm is the buildings above and to the right of the 'y' in Grimesthorpe Colliery.

Any idea of the date of this map ?

John

Guest Gramps

Any idea of the date of this map ?

John

It's 1893. Is there something in particular you're interested in ? - I'll help if I can.

The gate is new but the wall and gateposts are old.

Looks like a gate to nowhere. - Clubmill road.

I'm sure that was the power station?

I remember seeing it undergo the process of demolishion.

I'm sure that was the power station?

I remember seeing it undergo the process of demolishion.

You're right then.

X is approximately where I took the photo.

Y is another set of similar gateposts and gate.

Were these fine gateposts the entrance to Royd's Mill - could do with a bit of TLC

Did you notice the other more modern gates (may be a fence now)

and the road/track that finishes abruptly behind them,

marked by the arrow,

the old gate posts in your photo are marked by the circle

By the way we don't have a 1950's O/S map that covers that area.

Haven't had a post in here for a while - where can you see these gates?

dunsby,

I see the bank in the background ;-)