Only the gate posts are left

Stuart0742

Picturesque pairing of redundant gateposts and tram driver's urinal...

A recognizable location even without the street name.

From the other side showing the slope, from which much earth must have been moved before they built the modern flats...

I think the driveway from the gate ran along the top of the slope close to the wall to a house further to the right. Unfortunately we don't seem to have a map of this spot.

Hugh

Guest Gramps

I think the driveway from the gate ran along the top of the slope close to the wall to a house further to the right. Unfortunately we don't seem to have a map of this spot.

Hugh

Would this be it ?

Is it the entrance to the Guide Camp at Whitley Woods on Common Lane?

Spot on Sando. They've done it up a lot recently with new signs, hence the blanked wording!

Do you want to try for the second part of the question now?

Would this be it ?

That's it! Which map is that from (pre-tram anyway)?

I'll have to take that map up the hill again tomorrow (it is only at the top of our street :) )

Cheers!

Hugh

Guest Gramps

That's it! Which map is that from (pre-tram anyway)?

I'll have to take that map up the hill again tomorrow (it is only at the top of our street :) )

Cheers!

Hugh

It's from Alan Godfrey sheet 294.07 (Sheffield West), surveyed 1901-03.

Surprised you haven't got it ;-)

Guest Gramps

I think the driveway from the gate ran along the top of the slope close to the wall to a house further to the right.

Hugh

I presume the house was called 'Bank House' ? Any pictures/history ? Nothing on Picture Sheffield.

Here's an easy one. (Names removed as it was too easy!). Where did these lead to, and what well-known people lived there?

Whitley Hall, and Sam Plimsole. But I think the Hall has gone leaving the old coach house on it;s own.

Whitley Hall, and Sam Plimsole. But I think the Hall has gone leaving the old coach house on it;s own.

Nearly there Mike, Whiteley Wood Hall, and Samuel Plimsoll, but who else?

Nearly there Mike, Whiteley Wood Hall, and Samuel Plimsoll, but who else?
Was it Thomas Bolsover?, wild guess only there's a memorial to him not far from these gates.

Was it Thomas Bolsover?, wild guess only there's a memorial to him not far from these gates.

That's the man! The house is gone but the stable block is still there. There's the Boulsover memorial at Wire Mill Dam, and the area around there is called Bowser Bottom, (Bowser being a local pronunciation of his name). There's also the tiny Boulsover Chapel nearby at Meadow Lane farm, which is now an out building for the farm.

I noticed these the other day

They are on Sheffield Rd at Hackenthorpe, at the traffic lights as Donesk Way and the the tram go right towards Crystal Peaks

I believe they were the entrance to Cotleigh House, anybody know any details, or have a pre 1950's map

When I was a kid the field behind the gates was known as "The Daisy Field".

At that time (1950's) there were still large iron gates attached. As far as I'm aware it was indeed one of the entrances to Cotleigh House (or was it called Cotleigh Hall) which was situated on the land between Cotleigh Crescent and Main Street. This is now the site of sheltered housing of some sort. Up hill from the house was it's orchard. Below (on Main Street) was another entrance with a gate house. in 1953 there were people living in both these buildings. The larger Hall was given over to some kind of bedsit or flats arrangement. Even at this time the house was in a very poor state and was demolished along with it's gate house sometime (I think) before 1958. We all played in the ruind house after it was emptied, untill the time it was finally demolished.

Guest Gramps

The gateway to Shiregreen Windmill- Windmill Hill ;-)

lol

Actually that stone walling is typical of that used to designate roads taken in from the 'waste' and adopted as official highways and bye-ways by the 'Inclosure' Commissioners, - there is still a lot of it about around Sheffield.

I think it was broken into there to provide access to the allotments....but the windmill was up there 'somewhere'.

So where is this and what was on the other side of these gateposts?

Struggling with the foreground, some sort of car park in the background, all seems as if I should know, but don't

Struggling with the foreground, some sort of car park in the background, all seems as if I should know, but don't

Looks like I've stumped Stuart with this one.

When the answer is finally revealed there is a rather sad story about the building that stood behind the gateposts

but until then, any more guesses?

Clue 1, Sheffield suburb, well out of town, a bit of a terminus.

When the answer is finally revealed there is a rather sad story about the building that stood behind the gateposts

Halfway ?

Changed my mind, will PM you Dave

After changing his mind Stuart has come up with the correct answer in his Personal Message

As I know this is likely to cost me a pint on our next evening out in the pub I will leave it at his discretion to either post his correct answer as I already have pictures and the story of what is behind the gates or to leave it a while and see if anyone else gets it.

Guest transit

Herdings tram terminus ? Is it the old farmhouse/youth club that has recently been destroyed by fire???????? :o

Guest transit

Herdings tram terminus ? Is it the old farmhouse/youth club that has recently been destroyed by fire???????? :o

Heres some pics in better days.............. :(

Heres some pics in better days.............. :(

Sorry for the 10 day delay in getting back to you transit, see my thread "DaveH is back" for the reason for the delay.

Of course you are perfectly correct, as was Stuart0742 in his PM

Thanks for the photos of the old building in better days. This was a historic building dating back centuries high on Herdings hill which had some notable architectural features. What a pity then to see the state it is in now.

I noticed these the other day

They are on Sheffield Rd at Hackenthorpe, at the traffic lights as Donesk Way and the the tram go right towards Crystal Peaks

I believe they were the entrance to Cotleigh House, anybody know any details, or have a pre 1950's map

Further to this Stuart.

It appears that the gate posts were erected in the late 30's to mark a new driveway to Cotleigh House. This project was abandoned at the outbreak of WW11 and the driveway was never built.