What was......

Guest tsavo

White lead (also known as ceruse) is a basic carbonate of lead once used as a pigment and as a cosmetic, and forming one of the basic pigments used in the painting and decorating trade for many years. The best quality is prepared by the Dutch process, in which sheets or grids of pure lead are placed in pots containing a little dilute acetic acid or vinegar. A number of these pots are stacked in a heap, surrounded by horse manure for several months. Lead acetate forms and can then be converted into the basic carbonate. It went out of fashion as a pigment due to its toxicity and high cost.

Red lead is a bright orange-red pigment used in priming paints for both wood and metal. Red lead is prepared by oxidising molten lead until a yellow crust, called massicot, is formed. The massicot is then ground, washed and levigated, and then further roasted until the desired colour is obtained. Red lead is an oxide of lead containing some monoxide of lead which combines readily with an oil or varnish medium when the pigment is mixed, causing the paint to oxidise and as such allowing red lead paint to dry and harden even when not exposed to the air.

Does that not put it more or less on the Leadmill site?

If you meen 'The Leadmill' night club (Esquire)? tsavo, I would say no, it would be accross from 'The Leadmill' where the Tram/Bus Depo once stood.

Flash Earth

edit 06.10.08

According to 'Water power on the Sheffield Rivers', that's where it was and it produced white and red lead.

Next question is, what is or was red and white lead?

My uncle was a french polisher.As a lad I used to go and get red lead from Stokes which was next to The Bull And Mouth . It was always wrapped in a brown paper parcel.I also had to buy a pint of turpentine and a pint of garnett. Havent a clue what it was all about!!! My dad and he used to have a couple of second hand shops, one on Shorham Street and the other on Attercliffe Common ,next to The Gate Inn.At the age of five my dad used to leave me in charge of the shop on Shorham Street. If anyone wanted to buy anything I had to make up my own price. We had a windup record player on which I used to play lots of 78,s, usually Gracie Fields or The Flight of The Bumblebee.

POPPYCHRISTINA said:
My uncle was a french polisher.As a lad I used to go and get red lead from Stokes which was next to The Bull And Mouth . It was always wrapped in a brown paper parcel.I also had to buy a pint of turpentine and a pint of garnett. Havent a clue what it was all about!!! My dad and he used to have a couple of second hand shops, one on Shorham Street and the other on Attercliffe Common ,next to The Gate Inn.At the age of five my dad used to leave me in charge of the shop on Shorham Street. If anyone wanted to buy anything I had to make up my own price. We had a windup record player on which I used to play lots of 78,s, usually Gracie Fields or The Flight of The Bumblebee.

Interesting post POPPY,
Up's ... Or should I say .. George tongue.gif
Lots of memories in there that I'm sure other members could add to.
But 'I Must Stay on topic', otherwise tsavo will be slapping the back of my hand!
It looks like that during WW2 Jerry got his own back on the STOKES Company.
A brief history of STOKES PAINTS Here

STOKES_Paint__e_pp.jpg
STOKES, Little London Road .
Well painted door but what a shame they don't manufacture weed killer
as well

That history of Stokes Paints states...

"Robert [sTOKES] settled in Sheffield and became engaged to Sabina Himsworth in 1897. Sabina's father Joseph was a cutler."...

...which is wrong. Sabina and Joseph Beeston HIMSWORTH were brother and sister. Their father was Beeston HIMSWORTH. Joseph wrote a standard history of cutlery and also conducted excavations on the remains of Sheffield Castle.

Hugh

On 06/10/2008 at 19:58, SteveHB said:

Interesting post POPPY,

Up's ... Or should I say .. George tongue.gif

Lots of memories in there that I'm sure other members could add to.

But 'I Must Stay on topic', otherwise tsavo will be slapping the back of my hand!

It looks like that during WW2 Jerry got his own back on the STOKES Company.

A brief history of STOKES PAINTS Here

STOKES_Paint__e_pp.jpg

STOKES, Little London Road .

Well painted door but what a shame they don't manufacture weed killer

as well

That history link doesn't seem to be working.

A history of Stokes Paints can be found on the company website.

An advert from 1939/40

stokes.jpg

Fulfilment or A Dream.— Published 1860

“An inquest was held last evening at Sheffield, before Mr. Thomas Badger, coroner, on the body of Mr. Charles Holmes, button manufacturer, Clough House Lane, who had been found drowned on Monday morning, in the Lead-mill dam in that town.

The deceased left his home on Saturday night in company with his wife; they walked through the town together, and about nine o'clock, at which time they were at the top of Union Street, he said to her, 'I'm going to leave thee here, Fanny.' She said, 'Are you?' and he replied, 'Yes, I want to see an old friend who is going to Birmingham on Monday, and he is to be here.' She said to him, 'Well, Charlie, don't stop long, because I do feel queer about that dream,' and he replied,' Oh, don't say that; I'll just have a glass, and "then come home. Go and get the supper ready, and I'll come directly.'

She then left him.

When he got into the house he was invited to drink with his friend, but he exhibited some reluctance, saying that on the night before his wife had dreamed that she saw him dead in a public-house, and that she had dreamed a similar dream about a week before. Unfortunately, however, he yielded to the temptation, got drunk, and did not leave the public-house till after twelve. He was accompanied part of the way home by his friend, and was never afterwards seen alive. Near his house are the Lead-mill dams, and, in consequence of his not returning home, his wife felt convinced that he had fallen in and got drowned.

A search was made, and on Monday morning his body was found in the water, and was removed to the Royal Standard public house, where his wife saw the body, and identified it as that of her husband. The jury returned a verdict of ' Found drowned,' and recommended that an opening in the wall, near the dam, through which it is supposed he had fallen, should be built up."—

Manchester Examiner.

Charles had been born about 1820 in Ireland. His wife Fanny was an "artificial florist" from Darnall.

In 1841 Charles was lodging in Matilda Street with Peter and Ellen Cody - Pearl Button Makers also from Ireland.

In 1851 Charles and Fanny were living at 2 Court Duke Street, Charles was making buttons.

In October 1858 Charles Holmes, formerly journeyman pearl button of Brabason Street, Dublin, then of Heeley, then of Manton Street, Leadmill Road, then a journeyman umbrella handle maker of Clanbrazil Street, Dublin, and late of Duke Street making buttons again, then Sidney Street and Sheaf Bank, had his first examination by the Insolvency Court (London Gazette October 19 1858)

In July 1860 the Sheffield Insolvency Court heard that Holmes, pearl button manufacturer, of Duke Street, has assets of £9, which after assignee's charges left £6 12s 7d for division. He had debts of £113 and a dividend of 1s 2d in the pound was declared, and it was noted that since passing his last examination he had been accidentally drowned.

On 29/03/2012 at 20:04, madannie77 said:

That history link doesn't seem to be working.

A history of Stokes Paints can be found on the company website.

An advert from 1939/40

post-6334-0-95295900-1333047797_thumb.jpg

I know this is offtopic and resurrecting an old thread but I am very pleased to see this which has solved a mystery I have wondered about for years. The interesting frieze on the front of Stokes Paints on Little London Road seemed to be some sort of allusion to classical mythology - but having a look at the Mazeppa trade mark I can see that the figure in the frieze is the subject of a poem by Byron about a Ukrainian leader who was tied naked to a horse. Seems very unusual for a paint trade mark!

On 05/10/2008 at 17:01, SteveHB said:

The White lead works, 1832

post-188-1223222924_thumb.jpg

A map of the land taken for the use of the White-lead Work, with the Buildings etc. 1759.

White Lead Works and the fields between the Porter and the Sheaf, on either side of (Leadmill Road). Boatman's Bridge. Pond Street (south end).

Surveyor: William Fairbank I. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc03403&pos=1&action=zoom&id=98646

A plan of several gardens in Pond Lane held by sundry persons of the Duke of Norfolk, and a plan of the course of the pipe conveying water from the Bath through them to the White Lead Works, [1777]

Reference: [?leased] by the Whitelead Company of the Earl of Surrey. The White Lead Mill, cutlers wheel, dwelling houses, stackhouses and all the other buildings; Alegar yard, middle yard, litter yard, yard betwixt the damm and the mill, court by the mill. Also marked tilt damm, goight, River Porter, Boardman's Bridge, Pond Lane, John Waterhouse's tenement, William Nicholson, Thomas Needham, Robert Burnand, William Woolhouse, Widow Beard, Lydia Marriott, Nathaniel Cosins, John Burkett, Peter Spencer, John Wigfall, William Ruddinforth, and James Hattersley's land.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04203&pos=11&action=zoom&id=105138

A plan of the Farm lately held of the Duke of Norfolk by Geo. Calton, with the Whitelead Works, etc. erected thereon. Surveyor: [William Fairbank II].

Fields between the Porter and the Coach-and-Six Farm and between the White Lead Works and the Corn Mill dam; Lead works and Cutler's Wheel clearly marked; numerical list with field names and descriptions and acreages;

Proposed new course of the River Porter added, with new acreages listed.

(Shoreham Street, Arundel Street, Brown Street, Furnival Street, White Lead Works, Leadmill Road, Leadmill Street, Matilda Lane, Matilda Street, Pond Street (south end), St Mary's Road)

White Lead Works and the fields between the Porter and the Sheaf, on either side of (modern Leadmill Road)

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc03404&pos=2&action=zoom&id=98647

• Like 1

Lead was smelted in Dore and Totley certainly in the 17th century.My distant ancestor ,who lived in Totley Bents ,was involved in the activity and as part of his will bequeathed all of his tools to his son.