Which building would you bring back?

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

Everyone has a favorite building whether it' for it's appearance or it's memories. Which one would you choose and why?

Mine would be the old ( pre twinned) Gaumont. Lots of memories for me and a reminder of just how beautiful a building can be.

Everyone has a favorite building whether it' for it's appearance or it's memories. Which one would you choose and why?

Mine would be the old ( pre twinned) Gaumont. Lots of memories for me and a reminder of just how beautiful a building can be.

This post from before I joined the site; how about some input from Newer Members.

I'll take The Tontine Inn, Top of Dixon Lane/Haymarket. Proud Coaching Inn that died an almost instant death with the coming of the infernal train. Where does the name Tontine come from, anyone know ?

This post from before I joined the site; how about some input from Newer Members.

I'll take The Tontine Inn, Top of Dixon Lane/Haymarket. Proud Coaching Inn that died an almost instant death with the coming of the infernal train. Where does the name Tontine come from, anyone know ?

maybe a pipe dream but i would love to see sheffield castle rebuilt as it once was and the wicker cleaned up and made into the archery butts of yesteryear

maybe a pipe dream but i would love to see sheffield castle rebuilt as it once was and the wicker cleaned up and made into the archery butts of yesteryear

When the demolition of the Markets begins hopefully we may find out more about the Castle and its surroundings. There is already a good amount of information on here about the Castle; including, I think, a link to a 3-D rendition of how the Castle would have looked.

Tontine

An arrangement very similar to joint tenancy, between several people whereby they all, initially, share the profits from some investment but once only one of the initial investors survives, said investment accruing fully to the last survivor.

Guest Falls2

Hi,

My family weren't big on eating-out but on special occasssions, they went to a place called Stephenson Restaurant. It was on the city block bounded by Castle Street, Haymarket, King street and Angel Street. It was destroyed in the first night of the blitz and they spoke about it long after it was gone. In my childhood it was just a pile of rubble.

Apparently it was very Victorian, having a large glass and iron dome, which shows up occasionally on pre-war photos of the area. It must also have been all potted palms, white linen table cloths and meticulous service. It most likely had an orchestra as well or at least a string quartet. Old Mr. Stephenson himself was very much in evidence so I'm told.

There used to be a restaurant in Leeds that must have been a contemporary of Stephensons. I don't know if is still there.. It survived the Luftwaffe but probably didn't survive the developer's Panzer divisions.

Regards

I'd bring the old Norfolk Market Hall back, a wonderful old building with an atmosphere all of it's own, (and I don't mean the foul-smelling stall-holders latrines in the middle). From what I can remember the structure was basically sound and with new stalls in keeping with the rest of the building it would have been a facility to be proud of. The absence of internal dividing walls mean that updating would have been easy. Similar buildings in other northern cities were restored and have a great appeal. Of course it would have to have a basement reached from Exchange Street where you could buy galvanised chicken feeders, hamsters and grass snakes. The re-development of the old barracks at Hillsborough show what can be done with basically sound old buildings.

HD

Guest Trefcon

For me ditto 'tiz', how i would love to have a castle in Sheffield!!!

Getting into more 'modern' times the Corn Exchange at enlistment time in WW1.

Then as i 'grew up', i'd like to re visit the Carwood Hotel on Carlisle St, Sutherland Rd Baths, the Cub Scout ground near Firs Hill School, the Cannon Hall pub at Fir Vale, 16 years i put into that place!

Dean.

Hi,

My family weren't big on eating-out but on special occasssions, they went to a place called Stephenson Restaurant. It was on the city block bounded by Castle Street, Haymarket, King street and Angel Street. It was destroyed in the first night of the blitz and they spoke about it long after it was gone. In my childhood it was just a pile of rubble.

Apparently it was very Victorian, having a large glass and iron dome, which shows up occasionally on pre-war photos of the area. It must also have been all potted palms, white linen table cloths and meticulous service. It most likely had an orchestra as well or at least a string quartet. Old Mr. Stephenson himself was very much in evidence so I'm told.

There used to be a restaurant in Leeds that must have been a contemporary of Stephensons. I don't know if is still there.. It survived the Luftwaffe but probably didn't survive the developer's Panzer divisions.

Regards

Exchange Restaurant, 20 Castle Street, William Stephenson (1911, 1919 & 1925, maybe more); home 10 Victoria Road in 1911 and 1919.

Now we need a picture ...

Guest msfifty

Has anyone any information regarding the aspect of the Tontine Inn? I’d like to know which way it faced, what size and shape its footprint was, and anything else that might help me imagine the scene of the election night riot of December 1832

Has anyone any information regarding the aspect of the Tontine Inn? I’d like to know which way it faced, what size and shape its footprint was, and anything else that might help me imagine the scene of the election night riot of December 1832

Image posted by me in a previous existence, assuming that is, that this link works.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/10433-the-tontine-inn-sheffield/?hl=tontine

KR

N