Fish & Chip Shops

mickjj

Well, if that knitted character was to turn up in that wool shop on Northern Avenue that your grandmother / suzy's mum used to go in then -

Wheeeeeee eeee eeeeee eeeeee eeeeerrrr rrrrrrr rrrrrrr e has the knitted character been this week

wouldn't be won as he would be well disguised in there. he he he he lol

Think I was saw him in there eating Beckets fish and chips!!!!! lollol He had made his way up to Manor Top as he preferred the fish!!!!!

Think I was saw him in there eating Beckets fish and chips!!!!! lollol He had made his way up to Manor Top as he preferred the fish!!!!!

Much quicker to just nip across Northern Avenue into Arbourthorne Fish Bar. lol

Woolen characters in a chip shop are not a good idea, -they get greasy and dirty and start to smell of fish and old cooking fat. <_<

Much quicker to just nip across Northern Avenue into Arbourthorne Fish Bar. lol

Woolen characters in a chip shop are not a good idea, -they get greasy and dirty and start to smell of fish and old cooking fat. <_<

Without sounding cruel - I dont think the smell of fish and old cooking oil in the Haberdashery shop was down to the knitted character. he hehe he PS It wasnt me either :blink:

You and I will agree to disagree on our fave fish and chip shop. But ....... its happening again - I could just eat some Beckets fish and chips now AT BREAKFAST TIME!!!!

Without sounding cruel - I dont think the smell of fish and old cooking oil in the Haberdashery shop was down to the knitted character. he hehe he PS It wasnt me either :blink:

You and I will agree to disagree on our fave fish and chip shop. But ....... its happening again - I could just eat some Beckets fish and chips now AT BREAKFAST TIME!!!!

You could try the Manor Top Fish Bar which used to be Beckets, - but your nephew says they are not as good as they used to be.

You could try the Manor Top Fish Bar which used to be Beckets, - but your nephew says they are not as good as they used to be.

Is there only 2 fish & Chip shops in Sheffield then lol

Is there only 2 fish & Chip shops in Sheffield then lol

I thought the thread was a challenge to find THE BEST fish and chip shop in Sheffield.

Going on recent posts it looks like there are only 2 fish & chip shops in Sheffield which are up for that title.

So it looks like we are down to the final, as stated previously its a straight fight.

Or to make suzy feel more "Saturday tea time" relaxed should that be:-

"Welcome grappling fans,

You join us for round 1 of a 5 round match between,

In the red corner, from Arbourthorne, Sheffield, - Northern Avenue Chip Shop

and

In the blue corner, from Manor Top, Sheffield, - Beckets Chip Shop

2 falls, 2 submissions or a knock out to decide the winner"

lol lol lol

I thought the thread was a challenge to find THE BEST fish and chip shop in Sheffield.

Going on recent posts it looks like there are only 2 fish & chip shops in Sheffield which are up for that title.

So it looks like we are down to the final, as stated previously its a straight fight.

"Welcome grappling fans,

and

lollollol

What about this one, it used to be a great chippie when I worked at Intake telephone exchange

What about this one, it used to be a great chippie when I worked at Intake telephone exchange

No, - when you worked at Intake the best chippie was the one on Alnwick Road which I have already refered to somewhere else / previously. Good fish & chips and at very low prices. It is now a Chinese take away.

No, - when you worked at Intake the best chippie was the one on Alnwick Road which I have already refered to somewhere else / previously. Good fish & chips and at very low prices. It is now a Chinese take away.

Yes but you could walk to this one and they were decent, yes there was Alnwick and also one on Stanhope Rd, all 3 sold decent fish & Chips

The one on Stanhope has also been mentioned somewhere

Yes but you could walk to this one and they were decent, yes there was Alnwick and also one on Stanhope Rd, all 3 sold decent fish & Chips

The Stanhope Road chippy was mentioned in the other fish and chip shop thread, here

What about the one on Mansfield Road near the bus stop just up from the Woodthorpe Arms?

It had a variety of owners and depending on who was running it at the time it was either excellent or awful.

When "Albert" had it as "The InTake Away" it was excellent.

"Albert" now has a chip shop on City Road called "Albert II" (Sounds like a Belgian King to me, but "Albert" is actually asian)

The Stanhope Road chippy was mentioned in the other fish and chip shop thread, here

The other thread may be where I previously mentioned one or two as well.

A bit confusing having 2 such similar threads, - thats why I can't find my own posts about chip shops :o

"Welcome grappling fans,

and

lol lol lol

Well done Dave, I feel all "Saturday team time" relaxed : I have had my Beckets fish and chips and me and Dad are laughing at the wrestling : Oh hang on .............................. Beckets have just knocked out Northern Avenue Chippie with a smack of their best crispy cod - could this be it, could it be all over for the Northern Avenue Chippie???? he he he he

Well done Dave, I feel all "Saturday team time" relaxed : I have had my Beckets fish and chips and me and Dad are laughing at the wrestling : Oh hang on .............................. Beckets have just knocked out Northern Avenue Chippie with a smack of their best crispy cod - could this be it, could it be all over for the Northern Avenue Chippie???? he hehe he

If you like my Kent walton style wrestling commentary there is more of it in a thread about wrestling on TV at Saturday lunchtimes.

Now it could be it for Beckets

Remember what happened to Thomas a Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1170 when he fell foul of Henry II ;-)

Then of course there's that other ex Norfolk school student and wannabe St. Mary's Church clock restorer Wayne Becket in another thread near here.

Guest wayneybabes

If you like my Kent walton style wrestling commentary there is more of it in a thread about wrestling on TV at Saturday lunchtimes.

Now it could be it for Beckets

Remember what happened to Thomas a Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1170 when he fell foul of Henry II ;-)

Then of course there's that other ex Norfolk school student and wannabe St. Mary's Church clock restorer Wayne Becket in another thread near here.

at this rate, Northern Avenue could end up getting battered

sorry, couldnt resist lol

i'll get me coat.........

at this rate, Northern Avenue could end up getting battered

sorry, couldnt resist lol

i'll get me coat.........

Didn't Beckets bother to batter their fish then?

Or were they posh and used breadcrumbs?

As I remember it Beckets like all other chip shops in Sheffield always gave their fish a good Battering

and by doing this there were always plenty of Scraps he he lol

Guest wayneybabes

Sorry to say this Dave, but if you where to send someone to stand outside the two chippies without going in and sampling the goods then by pure smell alone, becketts would win hands down lol

Sorry to say this Dave, but if you where to send someone to stand outside the two chippies without going in and sampling the goods then by pure smell alone, becketts would win hands down lol

Totally agree lol And that smell would be glorious and want to make you keep going back for more. Beckets would win on the sampling test also. A clean fight but in the end the Northern Avenue Chippie got completely battered and went home trailing their soggy chips behind them lol he he

This is the Arbouthorne and Manor Top we are talking about here.

If someone stood for too long outside either chippie I am sure there would be a scrap and that someone would get a battering lol

Totally agree lol And that smell would be glorious and want to make you keep going back for more. Beckets would win on the sampling test also. A clean fight but in the end the Northern Avenue Chippie got completely battered and went home trailing their soggy chips behind them lolhe he

Auntie Sue has come to back up her little nephew then lol

Guest wayneybabes

Auntie Sue has come to back up her little nephew then lol

Yep she has. TBH, she would eat you for breakfast Dave mate, that is AFTER she has devoured her becketts lol

The chip shop is still there but not known as becketts any more. its now known as Manor Top Fish Bar. The chips taste very similar though nowhere near as greasy as they used to be (or as cheap!!)

OK wayneybabes,

If Beckets WAS the best chip shop in Sheffield, then by your own admission in the quote above under the new ownership they are not as good as they used to be.

So which is the best chip shop in Sheffield NOW?

Guest wayneybabes

OK wayneybabes,

If Beckets WAS the best chip shop in Sheffield, then by your own admission in the quote above under the new ownership they are not as good as they used to be.

So which is the best chip shop in Sheffield NOW?

i wouldnt know cos i dont know what the northern avenue one is like now

last time i went in there in the mid 90's i got food poisoning from a fishcake and had to have two days off work lol

got to admit, chips where always nice though

i wouldnt know cos i dont know what the northern avenue one is like now

last time i went in there in the mid 90's i got food poisoning from a fishcake and had to have two days off work lol

got to admit, chips where always nice though

Not got to be one of the 2 shops we are disputing has it if they have both seen better days in the best chip shop league.

Are there any current good local chip shops?

I know when Albert (now on City Road front) had the InTake away at Intake (Mansfield Road) his fish and chips were excellent.

Guest wayneybabes

Not got to be one of the 2 shops we are disputing has it if they have both seen better days in the best chip shop league.

Are there any current good local chip shops?

I know when Albert (now on City Road front) had the InTake away at Intake (Mansfield Road) his fish and chips were excellent.

the manor top fish bar is the only one i have nowadays so i dont know. the inTake away was nice when it first opened but went downhill after. what was the chippy across the road (behind the embassy) called?. think it used to be Rays. they used to be nice.

as previously mentioned, the one on alnwick road that used to be 10p a bag of chips was nice but then turned into a chinese. I used to go to the convenience store on alnwick road with the empty bottles of Barrs D&B, Iron Bru etc and then use the cash in the chippy!.

Wonder what the admiral at frecheville is like today?. the only nice local(ish) chippy i can think of is the gleadless townend fish bar. they had it done out last year i think. thier chips are usually nice.

if i fancy chips at work i go to the one in the fish market in town