Fish & Chip Shops

mickjj

Not had a proper fishcake in over 25 years, up in the frozen North a fishcake is a mess of fish and potato, not two great slices of tater with fish in between.

Not had a proper fishcake in over 25 years, up in the frozen North a fishcake is a mess of fish and potato, not two great slices of tater with fish in between.

Now a proper fishcake is as Richard describes, 2 thick slices of potato with a piece of fish in between (like a fish in potato sandwich) and then fried in batter.

The other inferior "fishcake" that Richard describes, - a mangled mass of potato and odd bits of fish in batter, - isn't that a "Rissole"?

In some chip shops in Hull they have another variation called a "pattie". This is seasoned mash potato (can't remember what the seasoning is but there are green herby bits in the potato, - could have been rosemary) which is then fried in batter.

Can't beat a proper fishcake though.

Guest wayneybabes

Would a real fishcake make it through the post with a stamp on it ?

I can send you one special delivery from Northern Avenue but like i said in a previous post, you may have to have a couple of days off work after eating it lol

I can send you one special delivery from Northern Avenue but like i said in a previous post, you may have to have a couple of days off work after eating it lol

I was always OK with Northern Avenue fish cakes, - they were good ones.

..and so were Beckets as far as I can remember.

But there was a chip shop locally that served up the other sort of fishcake that Richard described (Rissoles) and these were best avoided.

How about the chinese a couple of doors down (not sure if it is still there)

they used to be nice but i am talking 1980's :rolleyes:

That was the Kam Tong, it's quite a few years ago when he sold up.

'Tong' as he was known locally was very nice bloke

though he did like his gambling.

I remember peering through the window on a few occasions,

when the shop was closed,

sometimes you could see Tong and his friends sat around a table

in the back room/kitchen dealing cards.

Guest stradlad

Whatever happened to the chain of "Admiral" chippies?

There was one at Killamarsh, Mosborough, Dalton- Rotherham and I'm sure there was another somewhere!

As for "English" fish & chips it had to be Clarkes on Broad Street.

That would have to be my Aunt's fish & chip shop. Clarkes must have taken it over from her. In any event, I have to put in a plug for Adam's fish & chip shop, 59 Broad St, next door to Flaherty's newsagents. The whole area has now gone the way of road widening, fast transit, etc. Operated by my aunt, Rachel Adams, listed in Kellys as early as 1934, sold it late 50s/ early 60s. Wonderful fish & chips. Crispy batter, not greasy. Chips drained properly, so you could eat them with your fingers and still shake hands with someone. Over here, people think fish & chips have to be greasy. So, last summer when I visited Sheffield I was so looking forward to good f & c. I went to a chippy on Sharrowvale Rd. Alas, they were just the same as back over here. A greasy mess. Things took a turn for the better when I visited Dublin and was served a very palatable offering of fish and chips. I'm assuming my one unsavory experience in Sheffield was out of the norm. Before my next visit, I'll ask around. But maybe places like Adam's f & c shop don't exist any more in real life, just in my head. Ah well. Good memories. he he

I remeber the chip shop on the bottom part of Derbyshire Lane .When it was run by the Middletons it was still fired by coal one fire in each end.When young children went with their parents they were given a small packet with a few chips.In those days you could get chips 4 old pence and fishcakes 4 old pence and it was that popular the que went round the shop and onto the pavement.Happy Days

Guest Arch Stanton

Northern Avenue Chipshop or rather "Fish And Chip Bar" as it was more imaginatively called back in the day was the best chippy for miles. In my opinion they peaked around 1983 to 1989. Think it was a fella called Brian who ran it then and had old Dot working for them. Had a nickname called "Greasy Joes" which was odd as they were not particularly greasy and didn't have anyone called Joe working there. Proper chippy, don't think they exist anymore.

Chips, Roe, Peas and scraps and a can of Barr Cola when you were "poorly" on a school day. Nowt finer.

They moved on and it quickly went down the pan (sorry) in my opinion.Must admit I probably haven't tried them since 1990.

Went past the old place the other day and it has changed a lot. Am i right in thinking there was a Fine Fare supermarket on there (where Tonys now is) which then became a video shop (Arbour Video) which then became a petshop? Then there was the Pincushion (a strange little shop from my vague memory) which was the same building as what the hairdressers is. Anyone have any photos of the place as it was mid '70's/early '80's?

Northern Avenue Chipshop or rather "Fish And Chip Bar" as it was more imaginatively called back in the day was the best chippy for miles. In my opinion they peaked around 1983 to 1989. Think it was a fella called Brian who ran it then and had old Dot working for them. Had a nickname called "Greasy Joes" which was odd as they were not particularly greasy and didn't have anyone called Joe working there. Proper chippy, don't think they exist anymore.

Chips, Roe, Peas and scraps and a can of Barr Cola when you were "poorly" on a school day. Nowt finer.

Welcome to Sheffield History Arch Stanton and thank you for posting.

At least someone agrees with me now about the quality of Northern Avenue chip shop stuff.

Mind you, I was sampling it in the 1960's and early 1970's when the shop seemed to be run by 3 old ladies.

They moved on and it quickly went down the pan (sorry) in my opinion.Must admit I probably haven't tried them since 1990.

Went past the old place the other day and it has changed a lot. Am i right in thinking there was a Fine Fare supermarket on there (where Tonys now is) which then became a video shop (Arbour Video) which then became a petshop? Then there was the Pincushion (a strange little shop from my vague memory) which was the same building as what the hairdressers is. Anyone have any photos of the place as it was mid '70's/early '80's?

For details of the shops in Northern Avenue Shopping Centre take a look at the topic in this link

Northern Avenue Shopping Centre

Any additional information you may have for this topic would be grateflly received.

Guest Arch Stanton

cheers Dave. Can't really add much info apart from what I had originally posted. Was I dreaming about the Fine Fare shop? I was only a kid when I thought it was around so maybe wrong. I can also remember vaguely the Launderette and stories of the local tramp dossing in there and round the back of the building. Again, not sure if that was a "story" or true. Then that became Discount Motor Spares if I remember correctly.

I do know that there was definitely a video shop in those premises though which was a MASSIVE novelty to people in the area - used to be a hike to AD Video on City Road or the bus to Video House on The Moor if you wanted to rent some films. It didn't last long though, seem to remember Arbour Video was only around for a few months.

cheers Dave. Can't really add much info apart from what I had originally posted. Was I dreaming about the Fine Fare shop? I was only a kid when I thought it was around so maybe wrong. I can also remember vaguely the Launderette and stories of the local tramp dossing in there and round the back of the building. Again, not sure if that was a "story" or true. Then that became Discount Motor Spares if I remember correctly.

I do know that there was definitely a video shop in those premises though which was a massive novelty to people in the area - used to be a hike to AD Video on City Road or the bus to Video House on The Moor if you wanted to rent some films. It didn't last long though, seem to remember Arbour Video was only around for a few months.

Yes there was a fine fare supermarket.

It was between the shops which are now the betting shop (Bet Fred) and the hairdressers.

Wasn't as big as the Co-Op directly across from it and so didn't do as well and finally changed.

The laundrette and Discount Motor Spares were the end shops nearest Northern Avenue opposite the Co-Op and doctors surgery. These premises suffered a major fire causing a lot of damage in the 1980's-90's and have since been renovated as different businesses.

Guest Arch Stanton

Thought so. Just a very vague recollection of it. We were also warned as children never to go round the back of the launderette as there was an old tramp that used it as his refuge. Again, very vague recollections of curiosity getting the better of me resulting in seeing this local legend and running off - quickly...

Thought so. Just a very vague recollection of it. We were also warned as children never to go round the back of the launderette as there was an old tramp that used it as his refuge. Again, very vague recollections of curiosity getting the better of me resulting in seeing this local legend and running off - quickly...

So now you've taken his place [joke ] he he

Just looking what it says of your location Arch Stanton, " the launderette next to the butchers" lol

Guest Arch Stanton

So now you've taken his place [joke ] he he

Just looking what it says of your location Arch Stanton, " the launderette next to the butchers" lol

Not quite. I've moved. To the back of the Co-Op Warehouse. The scraps of meat thrown out from the Co-Op butchers are of a better quality than Malcoms :)

We were also warned as children never to go round the back of the launderette as there was an old tramp that used it as his refuge. Again, very vague recollections of curiosity getting the better of me resulting in seeing this local legend and running off - quickly...

Perhaps he was more scared than you.

You did call it his "refuge" (a sort of hiding place) and there are some rough areas on the Arbourthorne where you wouldn't want to meet up with certain people.

Round the back of some shops at night when they are closed is probably one of them.

Guest Arch Stanton

Perhaps he was more scared than you.

You did call it his "refuge" (a sort of hiding place) and there are some rough areas on the Arbourthorne where you wouldn't want to meet up with certain people.

Round the back of some shops at night when they are closed is probably one of them.

That's true Dave - poor old lad was probably fed up of tormenting kids. Just one of those vague childhood memories I have. As for hanging round the back of the shops, the innocent times of the late '70's and 80's are well and truly gone. The place has totally changed beyond all recognition and i am glad I grew up in that area when I did.

That's true Dave - poor old lad was probably fed up of tormenting kids. Just one of those vague childhood memories I have. As for hanging round the back of the shops, the innocent times of the late '70's and 80's are well and truly gone. The place has totally changed beyond all recognition and i am glad I grew up in that area when I did.

If you look at some of my photos in the "Northern Avenue Shopping Centre" topic which are all taken fairly recently you can see that the backs of the shops, even in daylight, are fenced off with security fencing and there are alarms and CCTV cameras as well.

That's how much it has changed.

You used to be able to walk around the back of the shops, and the original purpose of those back alleys was to give vehicle access to those living in the flats above the shops or for the shop to take stock deliveries into their rear premises. All of this is hardly possible now.

Guest Arch Stanton

When I was on the shops the other day I witnessed a blatant drug deal in broad daylight, what appeared to be a woman dressed in her pyjamas buying her ciggies in the newsagents and some little trogg swearing at his pals...who appeared to be about 4 years old. Made Shameless look like Ranmoor.

When I was on the shops the other day I witnessed a blatant drug deal in broad daylight, what appeared to be a woman dressed in her pyjamas buying her ciggies in the newsagents and some little trogg swearing at his pals...who appeared to be about 4 years old. Made Shameless look like Ranmoor.

That sounds about right.

There is one kid around there who rides round on his pushbike and delights in shouting a load of abuse to everyone he rides past.

Was he a little trogg? Or was he a "Wild Thing"? and was he related in any way to Reg Presley from southwest England?

(1960's musical references this time! ;-) )

Guest Arch Stanton

That sounds about right.

There is one kid around there who rides round on his pushbike and delights in shouting a load of abuse to everyone he rides past.

Was he a little trogg? Or was he a "Wild Thing"? and was he related in any way to Reg Presley from southwest England?

(1960's musical references this time! ;-) )

Reg Presley. What a character. Last time I saw him he was on TV ranting about cropfields very enthusiastically. Have you ever heard "The Trogg Tapes"? Basically, it's a bootleg of The Troggs rehearsing in 1966. Very funny. Makes the Gallaghers sound like a pair of church wardens. Arguing, swearing etc... Think it is up on You Tube.

Reg Presley. What a character. Last time I saw him he was on TV ranting about cropfields very enthusiastically. Have you ever heard "The Trogg Tapes"? Basically, it's a bootleg of The Troggs rehearsing in 1966. Very funny. Makes the Gallaghers sound like a pair of church wardens. Arguing, swearing etc... Think it is up on You Tube.

Not heard The Trogg Tapes but I have seen him on TV talking about cropfields.

Perhaps they could invite him to do a turn at the Arbouthorne Hotel then drive him off on a tractor for fish and chips in Northern Avenue. lol

Guest Arch Stanton

Any idea how many other famous people played the Arbour?

I know Joe Cocker played and Frank White. Was once told that The Small Faces played there but not sure how true that was. If it was true, I can only imagine how good it was.

Any idea how many other famous people played the Arbour?

I know Joe Cocker played and Frank White. Was once told that The Small Faces played there but not sure how true that was. If it was true, I can only imagine how good it was.

Not sure how many have played there.

It is only a pub location with a concert room, and it's hardly in an ideal location, so I can't see many big names playing there.