Fish & Chip Shops

mickjj

the manor top fish bar is the only one i have nowadays so i dont know. the inTake away was nice when it first opened but went downhill after. what was the chippy across the road (behind the embassy) called?. think it used to be Rays. they used to be nice.

as previously mentioned, the one on alnwick road that used to be 10p a bag of chips was nice but then turned into a chinese. I used to go to the convenience store on alnwick road with the empty bottles of Barrs D&B, Iron Bru etc and then use the cash in the chippy!.

Wonder what the admiral at frecheville is like today?. the only nice local(ish) chippy i can think of is the gleadless townend fish bar. they had it done out last year i think. thier chips are usually nice.

if i fancy chips at work i go to the one in the fish market in town

Not used Manor Top Fish Bar since it was Beckets

InTake Away was at its best when "Albert" had it, - so his shop on City Road front may be a good contender for the best current chip shop.

I didn't know there was a chippy behind the Embassy, - just the Foxwood pub which me and Stuart still frequntly visit, - we haven't noticed a chip shop.

Agree with the Alnwick Road one and have already related stories about its quality and low pricing policy.

It was a sad day when the old couple who ran it finally retired.

The Admiral at Frechville is quite good, - it's my wifes favourite chip shop. Not cheap but you get big portions and quality is good, another contender for the current best chip shop perhaps.

Gleadless Townend Fish Bar I don't use as it seems to be frequented by a totally ignorant moron.

There was this woman who drove across townend junction from Gleadless Road and pulled up outside Gleadless Fish Bar, parking on the tram lines and then went in to join a longish queue inside the shop for her fish and chips. While she is in the queue the traffic lights change to let the tram take the corner to go along Whites Lane. the tram pulls round the corner and has to stop as her car is on the tracks blocking its way. This leaves the length of the tram sticking out over Ridgeway Road so that when the traffic lights change again none of the cars coming up Ridgeway Road can move either because the tram is now blocking the way. When the lights change again the traffic coming down Norton Avenue and wanting to turn right onto Whites Lane can't move either for the same reason. In fact this total congestion remains until the woman is served and comes back out to get in her car. The car park outside the medical centre and Methodist church was empty. :angry:

The same woman has done this on more than one occasion. :o

Now if I had been in there at the time ......

I'm not one to cause trouble but......

Hmmm.... perhaps best if I don't go in and bump into her otherwise I may just be tempted to give her a bloody good thumping!! :o

Is there an A-Z of this lot anywhere, by Street. Not sure if Camm Street, Walkley is mentioned on here or not; great chippie in the mid-70's.

Is there an A-Z of this lot anywhere, by Street. Not sure if Camm Street, Walkley is mentioned on here or not; great chippie in the mid-70's.

An A-Z of chip shops would be a mamoth task a bit like the pubs.

There used to be chippies everywhere, some were short lived and many changed ownership regularly.

Then again Richard, you did a brilliant job on the A-Z of pubs, and a chippie A-Z was YOUR idea.

good luck, I look forward to reading through it. lol

Guest wayneybabes

I didn't know there was a chippy behind the Embassy, - just the Foxwood pub which me and Stuart still frequntly visit, - we haven't noticed a chip shop.

when i said behind the embassy i didnt mean directly behind. as you turn left at the lights on mansfield road to go down towards woodhouse you go past HSS hire shop (is that still there?) and the old car tyre/garage place. i think it is a couple of buildings down from there. its the last shop before the turning towards woodthorpe/carey road

when i said behind the embassy i didnt mean directly behind. as you turn left at the lights on mansfield road to go down towards woodhouse you go past HSS hire shop (is that still there?) and the old car tyre/garage place. i think it is a couple of buildings down from there. its the last shop before the turning towards woodthorpe/carey road

My misunderstanding wayneybabes, mainly because the chip shop that was behind the Captive Queen on Norfolk park WAS directly behind it!

The location you are now describing is Woodhouse Road. I don't go down there very much so I don't really know. Wife would have a better idea.

There used to be chippies everywhere, some were short lived and many changed ownership regularly.

Then again Richard, you did a brilliant job on the A-Z of pubs, and a chippie A-Z was YOUR idea.

The Pubs list has just passed it's third birthday, taken longer than my Degree.

I suppose all we're interested in is those that we can remember, especially those of our childhood.

I may investigate the earliest ones known; anyone any knowledge of early (preferably pre-WW1) chip'oles ?

---------------------

Update

---------------------

Anyone know of any earlier than 1893 ? If not, what is the earliest we have evidence of please ?

The Pubs list has just passed it's third birthday, taken longer than my Degree.

I suppose all we're interested in is those that we can remember, especially those of our childhood.

I may investigate the earliest ones known; anyone any knowledge of early (preferably pre-WW1) chip'oles ?

---------------------

Update

---------------------

Anyone know of any earlier than 1893 ? If not, what is the earliest we have evidence of please ?

I know a few where the chips taste as though they were made before 1893 :angry:

I know a few where the chips taste as though they were made before 1893 :angry:

Had some yesterday, 'orrible, I'll start a new thread for the old stuff.

I'll take up to 1925 (that'll be just over 1,400); then we need 1926-1950, and 1951-1975, and 1975-now (easiest I would have thought).

That's four people and the jobs a good 'un.

Which time period has your name on it Dave ? :rolleyes:

I'll take up to 1925 (that'll be just over 1,400); then we need 1926-1950, and 1951-1975, and 1975-now (easiest I would have thought).

That's four people and the jobs a good 'un.

Which time period has your name on it Dave ? :rolleyes:

I once read a book called " A history of railways 1570 - 1750" which covered that very interesting period in railway history before trains were invented!

{it's actually a serious book about horse drawn rail carriageways for, for example, hauling coal out of a drift mine}

With that in mind I claim Local chips during the Roman occupation 44BC - 410AD which covers that interesting period in chip shop history before the potato had been discovered.

he he lol

I once read a book called " A history of railways 1570 - 1750" which covered that very interesting period in railway history before trains were invented!

{it's actually a serious book about horse drawn rail carriageways for, for example, hauling coal out of a drift mine}

With that in mind I claim Local chips during the Roman occupation 44BC - 410AD which covers that interesting period in chip shop history before the potato had been discovered.

he helol

Anyone else care to claim a time-slot e.g. The Domesday Non-Potato Famine; Medieval Feasts and the Non Use of Spuds ? lol

The Admiral at Frechville is quite good, - it's my wifes favourite chip shop. Not cheap but you get big portions and quality is good, another contender for the current best chip shop perhaps.

As its near Christmas and both me and Mrs. DaveH are both busy at work sometimes we just want a quick meal so last week the wife went up to her favourite chip shop, The Admiral at Frechville.

Got to admit they were good, - my current favourite and contender for best chip shop award 2009

Yes they are still open and in business even though it looks boarded up, - its just they they are not open at 9 o'clock on Sunday mornings :mellow:

And what about this....

Indian takeaway, Chinese takeaway and English fish & chip shop all next door to each other ;-)

You can take your choice whatever your taste or even pick and mix :huh:

As its near Christmas and both me and Mrs. DaveH are both busy at work sometimes we just want a quick meal so last week the wife went up to her favourite chip shop, The Admiral at Frechville.

Got to admit they were good, - my current favourite and contender for best chip shop award 2009

Yes they are still open and in business even though it looks boarded up, - its just they they are not open at 9 o'clock on Sunday mornings :mellow:

And what about this....

Indian takeaway, Chinese takeaway and English fish & chip shop all next door to each other ;-)

You can take your choice whatever your taste or even pick and mix :huh:

That used to be Fred Hartleys (yes I know it was not a chip shop but! )

That used to be Fred Hartleys (yes I know it was not a chip shop but! )

What a car accessories place like the one that used to be at Manor Top?

Yes and also a supermarket Dells I think

I assume you mean that all 3 food outlets, - Indian / Chinese / Chips, were at one time all one big shop to make it a Fred Hartleys or a Supermarket.

Certainly the top of the building (see my previous picture of all 3 together) makes it look this way.

I assume you mean that all 3 food outlets, - Indian / Chinese / Chips, were at one time all one big shop to make it a Fred Hartleys or a Supermarket.

Certainly the top of the building (see my previous picture of all 3 together) makes it look this way.

1970 Kellys has this building as

Dells Supermarket & Frechevile Hardware Store, I think Fred Harley took over the Dells supermarket half

1970 Kellys has this building as

Dells Supermarket & Frechevile Hardware Store, I think Fred Harley took over the Dells supermarket half

Half?

Or third?

It seems to be one of those buildings that has been swapped about a bit over the years.

But at least a third of it is a pretty decent chip shop.

Not tried the Indian / Chinese yet though.

Every Saturday afternoon someone tries to push aa advert / takeaway menu for an Indian / Chinese through our letter box. The dog goes mad and frightens this Asian looking guy off, - I think it is someone from these shops at Frechville, - but unless he can actually get the menu through the letterbox without the dog preventing him I can't really be sure. lol

Guest wayneybabes

has anyone ever tried the one at heeley green?. used to be nice but i have heard it isnt anymore

now the balti express a few doors down is a different kettle of fish lol

has anyone ever tried the one at heeley green?. used to be nice but i have heard it isnt anymore

now the balti express a few doors down is a different kettle of fish lol

I use the Heeley Green chippie and it's nothing to shout about,

but like some say "it fills an oyl"

:)

We usually buy ours from either the chippie at Lowedges terminus or the Abbey Friar at Totley Rise, you get more for your money at Lowedges but the Abbey Friar is better quality (I think), so you pays yer money and takes yer chance.

InTake Away was at its best when "Albert" had it, - so his shop on City Road front may be a good contender for the best current chip shop.

Alberts on City Road.

"Albert" is an asian guy, everyone calls him Albert but I don't know if it is his real name.

His fish & chips were excellent when he had the InTake away a few years ago and this is his current premises.

I haven't been in this one to try it yet but if it is as good as he was at the InTake Away they will be good,

- could well be in the running for best chip shop in Sheffield

Guest wayneybabes

How about the chinese a couple of doors down (not sure if it is still there)

they used to be nice but i am talking 1980's :rolleyes:

Guest wayneybabes

.......... ok you guys

which chippy has the best batter?

becketts have and will always have the best batter IMHO

especially on the fish and roe, seems to taste better

.......... ok you guys

which chippy has the best batter?

becketts have and will always have the best batter IMHO

especially on the fish and roe, seems to taste better

Don't know about the batter, but cod roe.

Was it that awful processed stuff that had a uniform shape and siaze and was all the same light grey / pink colour?

Or was it the much superior unprocessed fresh roe, irregular shaped with colour and texture variations on it.

I used to like a good piece of roe but it seems to be an acquired taste (like raw mushrooms) and was not particularly popular. Not every chippie sold it and if you wanted to buy it at for example a fish stall in Castle Market it wasn't always available.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I had some, and I can't remember seeing it for sale for years.

How about a "bring back our roe" campaign?