Fish & Chip Shops

mickjj

I am sure Mr Becket lived in the large bungalow at the top of Grassthorpe Road at the junction with Ridgeway Road. For many years the Manor Top shop was my family's chippy of choice, despite there being several others nearer to where we lived. I recall the fish being fantastic and the chips tasing fine, although I was often amused by the way they seemed to stick together in a large lump.

Know what you mean Madannie77 - great to hear about another Beckets fan!! lol

I remember Mr Beckets daughter working in the chippie and another chap, who was possibly her hubbie.

I am sure Mr Becket lived in the large bungalow at the top of Grassthorpe Road at the junction with Ridgeway Road. For many years the Manor Top shop was my family's chippy of choice, despite there being several others nearer to where we lived. I recall the fish being fantastic and the chips tasing fine, although I was often amused by the way they seemed to stick together in a large lump.

That's the location I was thinking of madannie, it is a large, expensive, bungalow just past Hollinsend Road, visible from Ridgeway Road (usually with the RR registered SB 1 parked on the drive) but the access to it, and therefore its address, is Grassthorpe Road.

Guest wayneybabes

Know what you mean Madannie77 - great to hear about another Beckets fan!! lol

I remember Mr Beckets daughter working in the chippie and another chap, who was possibly her hubbie.

and another fan here Suzy!!!!!!

your mum used to fetch mine at school dinnertime ;-)

and another fan here Suzy!!!!!!

your mum used to fetch mine at school dinnertime ;-)

So you ate Becketts fish and chips in Norfolk school yard?

Must admit, Beckets were better than those us school kids got from the chippie on City Road ;-)

Guest wayneybabes

So you ate Becketts fish and chips in Norfolk school yard?

Must admit, Beckets were better than those us school kids got from the chippie on City Road ;-)

Not in the school yard, no. At Suzy's mums house :rolleyes:

Not in the school yard, no. At Suzy's mums house :rolleyes:

I thought you would have gone home for dinners, - only needed to nip across the school field and over your garden wall. Home in under 2 minutes lol

Guest wayneybabes

I thought you would have gone home for dinners, - only needed to nip across the school field and over your garden wall. Home in under 2 minutes lol

yeah that was handy but Suzy's mum lived on Northern Avenue

Keep guessing Dave lol

yeah that was handy but Suzy's mum lived on Northern Avenue

Keep guessing Dave lol

Suzy's mum must live somewhere near my mum then. She lives on Eastern Avenue.

I think I have probably mentioned this to Suzy somewhere before in another thread about housing on the Norfolk Park.

;-) Thanks Dave - I had read your earlier comments. We will agree to differ on this one. Northern Avenue was nearer to our house than Manor Top, but used to meet mum after she had done the weekly shop on Manor Top and then go to Beckets to get fish and chips for Saturday lunch - their fish was lovely and we even enjoyed the scraps. Making my mouth water now - never fancied fish and chips for breakfast before, until today!! he he

OK suzy,

But at least the Northern Avenue chip shop is still in business, I don't think Beckets is still there.

Guest wayneybabes

OK suzy,

But at least the Northern Avenue chip shop is still in business, I don't think Beckets is still there.

The chip shop is still there but not known as becketts any more. its now known as Manor Top Fish Bar. The chips taste very similar though nowhere near as greasy as they used to be (or as cheap!!)

Guest wayneybabes

Suzy's mum must live somewhere near my mum then. She lives on Eastern Avenue.

I think I have probably mentioned this to Suzy somewhere before in another thread about housing on the Norfolk Park.

I will give you a clue Dave. I am related to Suzy but you will have to guess in what way lol

I will give you a clue Dave. I am related to Suzy but you will have to guess in what way lol

I have realised you were related for quite a while from some of the posts you have both made.

My first guess is that you are cousins as it sounds like both your mothers are sisters, - just a guess.

Guest wayneybabes

I have realised you were related for quite a while from some of the posts you have both made.

My first guess is that you are cousins as it sounds like both your mothers are sisters, - just a guess.

Not quite Dave, good guess, although Suzy does live with one of my cousins lol

Guest wayneybabes

So is Suzys mum your cousin? <_<

do you give up dave?. Suzy's mum is a much much older relative lol

and my cousin is much younger than Suzy lol

do you give up dave?. Suzy's mum is a much much older relative lol

and my cousin is much younger than Suzy lol

So is Suzy's mum your grandmother, Suzy your auntie and Suzys child your cousin then?

Guest wayneybabes

So is Suzy's mum your grandmother, Suzy your auntie and Suzys child your cousin then?

i knew you would get it with that last clue lol

i knew you would get it with that last clue lol

We have been rumbled dear Nephew!!!!!!! But at least Dave H can now sleep at night!! he he

Guest wayneybabes

We have been rumbled dear Nephew!!!!!!! But at least Dave H can now sleep at night!! he he

Sure have Auntie Sue!. Now, back to the original thread topic............what was it again :unsure: lol

Sure have Auntie Sue!. Now, back to the original thread topic............what was it again :unsure:lol

I think it was fish and chip shops

So which was better Beckets at Manor Top or Arbourthorne Fish Bar on Northern Avenue?

There's only one way to find out!

FIGHT

The chip shop is still there but not known as becketts any more. its now known as Manor Top Fish Bar. The chips taste very similar though nowhere near as greasy as they used to be (or as cheap!!)

Thanks wayneybabes,

...and for completeness and to show no prejudice having already posted a picture of Arbourthorne Fish Bar (Northern Avenue)

Here is a picture of Manor Top Fish Bar (City Road), formerly Beckets.

Guest wayneybabes

So which was better Beckets at Manor Top or Arbourthorne Fish Bar on Northern Avenue?

FIGHT

See-ing as nearly every week you seem to take a new picture of something around Sheffield

in good old TV Burp fashion...................

Wheeeeeee eeee eeeeee eeeeee eeeeerrrr rrrrrrr rrrrrrr e has DaveH been this week lol

FIGHT

OK - I will limber up in readiness, but put me on the side of good old, tasty, Beckets he he

See-ing as nearly every week you seem to take a new picture of something around Sheffield

in good old TV Burp fashion...................

Wheeeeeee eeee eeeeee eeeeee eeeeerrrr rrrrrrr rrrrrrr e has DaveH been this week lol

Well, if that knitted character was to turn up in that wool shop on Northern Avenue that your grandmother / suzy's mum used to go in then -

Wheeeeeee eeee eeeeee eeeeee eeeeerrrr rrrrrrr rrrrrrr e has the knitted character been this week

wouldn't be won as he would be well disguised in there. he he he he lol