Fish & Chip Shops

mickjj

Guest shezza91

Hi

There is an Admiral chippie on Birley Moor Road Sheffield 12 area.

The one at Mosborough is still there.

Yes, the Admiral on Birley moor road (Frecheville shops) is well worth a visit.

The fish are Huge.

:P

Corner of Lifford Street and Dundas Road, Tinsley. Long Gone. We knew it as Golden Earings because the lady in the shop wore golden earings!

The best chip shop I remember was the one on the bottom of Alnwick road Intake, years ago back in the 70's and early 80's they had the best fish and chips for miles there were always huge queues on the weekend. Chips were 5p 7p and I think 10p for years, and you always got loads of scraps.

It was called Buxtons and I agree it was the best. My wife used to live on that road so I sampled more than a few portions after a good night in the Hollin Bush.

Yeah, chippies are great but I dislike the new breed of chippys, you know, selling pizza, kebabs and stuff. The foreigners never seem able to get the chips or the batter right. It's a long time since I've heard of a traditional chippy with a really good reputation.

I few weeks back I had a day out in Scarborough and went to the Mother Hubbards sit down restaurant near the railways station - most excellent. Better than Ramsdem's IMO.

Guest eightbelow

Popple street chippie was the best around Firvale and there was a good one at Firth Park across from the fine fare but I can't remember its name.

Guest Jason

Thought you might like to see this photograph of the Paragon Fish and Chip Restaurant, does any one remember this?

Guest Jason

I'm not sure if this is the Paragon chippy opposite the Cinema of the same name, looking at the peoples dress, possibly early 1900's, so i think this pre dates the cinema. There is a number on the door 555 no idea of the road.

Im 95% sure its Sheffield as its from a family member, and we think a relative worked there!

Can anyone shed some light?

I do not think it is the Sicey Avenue location. The chippy there as I can remember was not a detached building but in a block of four. Unles this one preceeded it and was rebuilt. I believe the building is still there so if someone local could check the address to help clarify. Sicey ave runs from Firth Park roundabout to Wooley Wood Road and if my failing memory serves me right the numbering started at Firth Park which would put this one out of the frame.

The best chip shop I remember was the one on the bottom of Alnwick road Intake, years ago back in the 70's and early 80's they had the best fish and chips for miles there were always huge queues on the weekend. Chips were 5p 7p and I think 10p for years, and you always got loads of scraps.

When I first moved out to Intake in 1987 we went to the Alnwick Road chip shop for our first meal before we had managed to get our cooker installed.

Managed to feed all 4 of us on fish and chips and still got change out of £1.

Nice thing was that the yellow and black price board with clip in figures for prices (chips 5p, 7p and 10p) did not apply to fish.

The price of fish was slotted in hand written on a piece of cardboard and seemed to change daily depending upon the price the owner had paid at the wet fish wholesalers (probably Grimsby fish docks as it was always fresh) for that days fish.

The price went down regularly and reflected the current cost of fish so was a really fair pricing policy. I remember paying prices in the 25p to 60p range over the years it was open as a chip shop.

This chip shop is now currently the Hollin Royal, - Cantonese Food, - a Chiese take away.

Thought you might like to see this photograph of the Paragon Fish and Chip Restaurant, does any one remember this?

This is the Fish and Chip Shop that is there now, Courtesy of Google Earth.

Guest lyndeklerk

My GG-Grandfather used to own one :-)

John W. BAGSHAW Fried Fish Dealer 356 Coleridge Road, Attercliffe White's 1911

Whatever happened to the chain of "Admiral" chippies?

The Admiral, Crookes.

Google Street View.

I like the stranger chip shops

The kind where the shop is a house, or there's something very different about the place..

Don't know why but the smaller local chippies are much more interesting and usually have a better reputation than the bigger frieries

Here's Carnaby Fisheries

Carnaby Rd, Walkley

Just a little lock-up

Google Street View

Was that the little shop on the left (heading out of the city) on South Road at the bottom of Fulton Road?

Pete's Chippy at Grenoside was legendary...well in Grenoside at least, (World Famous in Grenoside).

It was 2d for a big bag of scraps, but in later years became talked of as selling the smallest fish on the planet. Good, but small.

Unfortunately he had a heart attack and confined himself to 2 days opening a week.

Pete's chippy is still running, I go there every Friday night, best fish and chips ever.

The daughter tends to run it now but you only get small portions. Better to have a little of something good than

a mound of dry horrible chips that finish up in the bin.

I believe they're so tasty because they're cooked in fat like in the olden days, most cook them in oil nowadays.

Doesn't have the same taste.

Manchester Road at bottom of Carr Road Now a Chinese Takeaway

Half Way up Ash Lane Deepcar.

Manchester Road opposite Cinema Building - Still there

Johnson Street

Opposite top gate close to Hawthorne Ave

Victroria Road - Still there

Coal Pit Lane - Still there

Stubbin Estate – Still there

Garden Village – Now a Chinese Takeaway

:blink: :rolleyes:

There was a great chippy on London road called Dixons that always seemed full of customers (circa 1970s/80s) Also a great back road chippy on Sitwell road highfields called Adrians, who later moved near the old roscoe bingo. Can anybody remember the little chippy at the side of the old Sutherland road baths ? It was possibly called Walkers but not sure. ( Just come across the other chip shop topic wish i posted this there lol).

When I first moved out to Intake in 1987 we went to the Alnwick Road chip shop for our first meal before we had managed to get our cooker installed.

Managed to feed all 4 of us on fish and chips and still got change out of £1.

Nice thing was that the yellow and black price board with clip in figures for prices (chips 5p, 7p and 10p) did not apply to fish.

The price of fish was slotted in hand written on a piece of cardboard and seemed to change daily depending upon the price the owner had paid at the wet fish wholesalers (probably Grimsby fish docks as it was always fresh) for that days fish.

The price went down regularly and reflected the current cost of fish so was a really fair pricing policy. I remember paying prices in the 25p to 60p range over the years it was open as a chip shop.

This chip shop is now currently the Hollin Royal, - Cantonese Food, - a Chinese take away.

Hollin Royal as it is on Google Street

The demise of Rushby Street Chippie. I remember Saturday nights on the way home from the Cannon Hall, circa 1969-70. Curried chicken & chips. Always a queue. Boy, they tasted good after a skinful of Whitbread Tankard. Slept well.

Whatever happened to the chain of "Admiral" chippies?

There was one at Killamarsh, Mosborough, Dalton- Rotherham and I'm sure there was another somewhere!

As for "English" fish & chips it had to be Clarkes on Broad Street.

Killamarsh and Kiveton still going strong.

Killamarsh and Kiveton still going strong.

So are the Admiral at Frechville and Beighton. Although have to say, having travelled back the hundreds of miles to my birthplace of Sheffield last week, was disappointed with the fishcakes at the Beighton Admiral - batter was soggy and not at all crisp and had to hunt to find the fish!! Bring back the crispy fishcake, with lots of thick, tasty fish and soft potato.

My favourite of all time, when it first opened, was Beckets chippy on Manor Top - Mmmmm - makes my mouth water to this day!

So are the Admiral at Frechville and Beighton. Although have to say, having travelled back the hundreds of miles to my birthplace of Sheffield last week, was disappointed with the fishcakes at the Beighton Admiral - batter was soggy and not at all crisp and had to hunt to find the fish!! Bring back the crispy fishcake, with lots of thick, tasty fish and soft potato.

My favourite of all time, when it first opened, was Beckets chippy on Manor Top - Mmmmm - makes my mouth water to this day!

I have mentioned Beckets chip shop previously in another chip shop based thread.

I differ with your opinion here suzy as I never really liked Beckets chips and prefered other local outlets as you can read in the link here

Beckets Chip Shop

First gets mentioned around post #15

I have mentioned Beckets chip shop previously in another chip shop based thread.

I differ with your opinion here suzy as I never really liked Beckets chips and prefered other local outlets as you can read in the link here

Beckets Chip Shop

First gets mentioned around post #15

;-) Thanks Dave - I had read your earlier comments. We will agree to differ on this one. Northern Avenue was nearer to our house than Manor Top, but used to meet mum after she had done the weekly shop on Manor Top and then go to Beckets to get fish and chips for Saturday lunch - their fish was lovely and we even enjoyed the scraps. Making my mouth water now - never fancied fish and chips for breakfast before, until today!! he he

;-) Thanks Dave - I had read your earlier comments. We will agree to differ on this one. Northern Avenue was nearer to our house than Manor Top, but used to meet mum after she had done the weekly shop on Manor Top and then go to Beckets to get fish and chips for Saturday lunch - their fish was lovely and we even enjoyed the scraps. Making my mouth water now - never fancied fish and chips for breakfast before, until today!! he he

Never did sort out in those other posts how many chip shops Stan Becket actually owned.

He had the one at Manor Top, used to live somewhere off Hollinsend Road / Ridgeway Road and drove about in a rolls Royce with the personalised number plate SB 1. More fitting of a millionaire than a chip shop owner so I assume he had other outlets / businesses as well.

Never did sort out in those other posts how many chip shops Stan Becket actually owned.

He had the one at Manor Top, used to live somewhere off Hollinsend Road / Ridgeway Road and drove about in a rolls Royce with the personalised number plate SB 1. More fitting of a millionaire than a chip shop owner so I assume he had other outlets / businesses as well.

I am sure Mr Becket lived in the large bungalow at the top of Grassthorpe Road at the junction with Ridgeway Road. For many years the Manor Top shop was my family's chippy of choice, despite there being several others nearer to where we lived. I recall the fish being fantastic and the chips tasing fine, although I was often amused by the way they seemed to stick together in a large lump.