Fish & Chip Shops

mickjj

Guest billyblade

The chippy to remember was the one in the block of shops overlooking pond street bus station.My grandfather took me there when going into town.don't know if its still there.there was always some people stood outside looking over the ledge dropping chips onto people walking below!!

HA HA

This was called The Friery. Top Fish and Chip shop. It spawned a song at some Sheffield United away matches in the 80's.

One man:-"everywhere we go"

Crowd:-"everywhere we go"

OM:-"People wanna know"

Crowd:-"People wanna know"

OM:-"Where we get our chips from"

Crowd:-"Where we get our chips from"

OM:-"Shall we tell 'em?"

Crowd:-"Shall we tell 'em?"

OM:-"where we get our chips from"

Crowd:-"Where we get our chips from"

All:-"Friery,Friery,Friery!!!!"

Remember walking on the Pond Street chip carpet!!!

Billyblade.

Some of the oldest chippy's

Walter LONGLEY Fried fish & chip potato dealer 31 Westbar Green Kelly's 1893

James PEARSON Fried fish & chip potato dealer 53 Broad Lane Kelly's 1893

William SAXBY Fried fish & potato chip dealer 138 Portobello Street Kelly's 1893

John BARBER Chip Potato Dealer 59 London Road Kelly's 1893

Walter STRAW Fried fish & chip potato dealer 61 Mitchell Street Kelly's 1893

William Henry HAMMOND Fried fish & chipped potato dealer 99 Broad Lane Kelly's 1893

Guest smiffster

No ones mentioned the Harlequin Fish Bar on Howard Street which had the restaurant in the back, used to call there for a chip buttie or fishcake buttie when i was working in the afternoon , absolutely gorgeous. Is it still there ?? Dont get down town much with being exiled in Rotherham.

Bernards chippy on Andover Street (the little white cottage) now turned back into a house used to be lovely.

Hi pitsmoor,

Is it still for sale as i have not been past for a few weeks.

Was that the little shop on the left (heading out of the city) on South Road at the bottom of Fulton Road?

Pete's Chippy at Grenoside was legendary...well in Grenoside at least, (World Famous in Grenoside).

It was 2d for a big bag of scraps, but in later years became talked of as selling the smallest fish on the planet. Good, but small.

Unfortunately he had a heart attack and confined himself to 2 days opening a week.

I was going to mention that one...it was also the smallest chippy ever about 6 foot long and 3 feet wide.

Had some great summers up there pub crawl round all the pubs and finished off at the chippy....damn fine they were too...happy days :rolleyes: lol

No ones mentioned the Harlequin Fish Bar on Howard Street which had the restaurant in the back, used to call there for a chip buttie or fishcake buttie when i was working in the afternoon , absolutely gorgeous. Is it still there ?? Dont get down town much with being exiled in Rotherham.

Greetings smiffster, i was wondering what era you are referring to as i to remember a chip shop on Howard Street.

I'm talking mid sixties and it was called 'Mary Gentles', it was about half way up the hill on the left hand side.

Guest smiffster

Greetings smiffster, i was wondering what era you are referring to as i to remember a chip shop on Howard Street.

I'm talking mid sixties and it was called 'Mary Gentles', it was about half way up the hill on the left hand side.

Hi SteveHB

It was the early 80s i was referring to as i was born in the 60s and the chippy was near the top of Howard Street i think past a pub called The Globe or i think it was called the Globe. The chippy used to be ram packed inside the restaurant and queuing outside onto the street everytime i called !!! cChip buttie open with salt and loads of vinegar to make the breadcake soggy !!!

Oh the joys of the Chippy here in the US even Chippies opened by Brits just dont taste the same we even have one that wont use vinegar.

My back home chippy the one in Ecclesfield next to the Garage (my old mates place) probably gone after all these years.

David Cooke

A Yorkshirelad in the USA

Oh the joys of the Chippy here in the US even Chippies opened by Brits just dont taste the same we even have one that wont use vinegar.

My back home chippy the one in Ecclesfield next to the Garage (my old mates place) probably gone after all these years.

David Cooke

A Yorkshirelad in the USA

When I was back earlier this year it was still there

Hi SteveHB

It was the early 80s i was referring to as i was born in the 60s and the chippy was near the top of Howard Street i think past a pub called The Globe or i think it was called the Globe. The chippy used to be ram packed inside the restaurant and queuing outside onto the street everytime i called !!! cChip buttie open with salt and loads of vinegar to make the breadcake soggy !!!

Yeah the Harlequin did the best chips ever. Must of been 3 or 4 years ago now when it closed and was replaced with some expensive italian sandwich rubbish.

The one on flat street has always been a bit rubbish imo.

Should do a thread about classic caffes and greasy spoons around town, I can think of one or two but know there must be loads.

Hi SteveHB

Mary Gentle's became the Harlequin around the end of the 60's- early 70's I think. Bill and Mary eventually retired and closed the shop. I still remember their fish and chips as the best I've ever tasted !

Guest philb

I remember Mcnallys chip shop on South Road Walkley,late 50s early 60,s.What made it special was their fishcakes,which were to die for,and the chips which were crinkle cut.And to this day I have never come across another chippie serving crinkle cut chips,have you?

The best chip shop I remember was the one on the bottom of Alnwick road Intake, years ago back in the 70's and early 80's they had the best fish and chips for miles there were always huge queues on the weekend. Chips were 5p 7p and I think 10p for years, and you always got loads of scraps.

TONYS at mosborough is one of the best. My kids love the chips and scraps, the Fish is the best cod and no waiting for orders. The batter isn't the soggy kind that you get at other chippies and its proper cod not masked as haddock. Also I am sorry but I am not being racist or any kind but it is a proper Traditional ENGLISH chippy and not been taken over by foreign people if you get my meaning.

TONYS at mosborough is one of the best. My kids love the chips and scraps, the Fish is the best cod and no waiting for orders. The batter isn't the soggy kind that you get at other chippies and its proper cod not masked as haddock. Also I am sorry but I am not being racist or any kind but it is a proper Traditional ENGLISH chippy and not been taken over by foreign people if you get my meaning.

Hi Draco I went to live in Mosborough when they first built the Township and at that time Tony and his wife owned and worked in the chippy and there was none finer in the county. I try to call in at least once a week if i am in the area because they are very good i thought his son had taken over but i could be wrong.

Hi Draco I went to live in Mossborough when they first built the Township and at that time Tony and his wife owned and worked in the chippy and there was none finer in the county. I try to call in at least once a week if i am in the area because they are very good i thought his son had taken over but i could be wrong.

Hi Syrup, I am sure its in the same direct family, I remember tony which retired so I don't know if it his son or daughter who has taken over or some other immediate family, Really I don't know the family much other than thier lovely fish and chips!, but if someone else took it over other than the family I am sure they would have changed the name do you think? I surely will ask when I go in next time. xx

Whatever happened to the chain of "Admiral" chippies?

There was one at Killamarsh, Mosborough, Dalton- Rotherham and I'm sure there was another somewhere!

As for "English" fish & chips it had to be Clarkes on Broad Street.

There was one at Killamarsh, Mosborough, Dalton- Rotherham and I'm sure there was another somewhere!

There was an Admiral chippie on Wales Road in Kiveton, it was opposite The Forge P.H.

It's news to me that they don't exist anymore, the owner of the Admiral string of fish shops was a Greek man.

An interesting fact about Kiveton and Wales is that they have a Sheffield postal code but the area phone exchange code is Worksop and they come under the Rotherham Council housing area. :huh:

Hi

There is an Admiral chippie on Birley Moor Road Sheffield 12 area.

The one at Mosborough is still there.

nothing at all racist in that comment..so stop trying to trip yourself up

Its a simple fact..chinese folk cook chinese dishes better, indian folk cook indian dishes better and english folk make the best fish and chips