Fish & Chip Shops

mickjj

There have been a few posts in various topics on this site refering to Fish & Chip shops which one is better; who's favourite etc. So here is a challenge to everyone. Get out there to your local or favourite "Chippy" and find out some of the history about it. Obviously I am not talking about recently built ones but those that have been around for years or have been made into one in a historical building. What is behind the name? Has it been in the same family for years etc. Get taking pictures and get them posted on here.

I'll start it off with "The Paragon Fish Bar" on Sicey Avenue, Firth Park. It derived its name from the Paragon Cinema that was directly acros the road. I have vivid memories of going to see movies with my parents and being treated to Threepenneth of chips to eat on the walk home after.

I like the stranger chip shops

The kind where the shop is a house, or there's something very different about the place..

Don't know why but the smaller local chippies are much more interesting and usually have a better reputation than the bigger frieries

Some of the ones I remember from my young days are the Barracuda on Duke Street, and the one that used to be (or might still be) opposite Jessops just down from fitzalan square.

I like the stranger chip shops

The kind where the shop is a house, or there's something very different about the place..

Thats what I mean there must be stories behind some of these buisnesses and buildings

Guest coffee cup

Not only the best bits , but they were FREE, I remember as a kid asking for scraps with my bag of chips

Very happy memories. :P :P

Another thing just came to mind as well. Instead of school dinners we would by half a loaf from the bakers hollow the middle out and take it in to the Paragon and they would fill it with chips and scraps. It was called "Cobbing".MMMmmm......delicious.

I remember that too !

'Cobbing' was still alive and kicking in the 80's and I bet todays kids do it too

Guest tsavo

I've been dreading this topic. Just got the wife out of fish & chip rehab! You just can't get them here. Every time we return to the UK it's the first meal we have, and we always have a very unhealthy holiday....pure bliss!

Guest coffee cup

NOT heard of cobbing { well not where fish & Chips were concerned, but then again I was a child of the 60's) Have I missed out ??

Definitely !

Almost as filling as trying to eat a full packet of dry cream crackers !

NOT heard of cobbing { well not where fish & Chips were concerned, but then again I was a child of the 60's) Have I missed out ??

You must have because my sister from your era was a regular "Cobber" as well

Guest coffee cup

No, sorry, never been a cobber or new anyone that was, I must have lead a sheltered life, and missed out We used to buy a carrot from the local shop at Luchtime and be happy !! after all school dinners were awful unless it was cheese pie !! (now that gives my age away}

oh and by the way what exactly is my era ?? I too get asked for ID in Morrisons when buying a bottle of wine.

:P

No, sorry, never been a cobber or new anyone that was, I must have lead a sheltered life, and missed out We used to buy a carrot from the local shop at Luchtime and be happy !! after all school dinners were awful unless it was cheese pie !! (now that gives my age away}

oh and by the way what exactly is my era ?? I too get asked for ID in Morrisons when buying a bottle of wine.

:P

You said you were a child of the sixties. Now does that mean you were born in the sixties or in school during that decade

Guest coffee cup

Born in the 60's,( I remember old money] you could get anawful lot for an old Penny

Blackjacks, fruitsalad, mojos, anglo bubbly etc...

Born in the 60's,( I remember old money] you could get anawful lot for an old Penny

Blackjacks, fruitsalad, mojos, anglo bubbly etc...

My oh my being born in the Sixties makes you a young un. Therefore yes you did lead a sheltered life if you never Cobbed it. My advice is to go out and try it.

Guest claudiapaws

Depending on which set of Granparents I was visiting it would either be the one on Manor Top (top of prince of Wales Road) or a choice of Steads (along from Manor Castle) or Manor fisheries (?) round the corner from the 'Merrie Monk'.......

Manor top was always my favourite as they tasted 'proper' - not like the rubbish we have down south.....

Guest kingy

Manor top was always my favourite as they tasted 'proper' - not like the rubbish we have down south.....

Manor top fish shop used to be called 'Becketts'... we still drive miles to use it now and pass endless chip/kebab/fish shops on the way, its just as good as it always has been. your traditional 'British' Chippy (sadly, a dying breed).

Another great chippy was 'Johns' on Jordanthorpe shops (dont know if its still there) but in the 70s/80s this was another top quality chippy.

(Ps. Don't get me wrong I AM NOT trying to post a racist comment.

just that my personal taste lies in old fashioned fish and chips......and scraps). :P

Guest claudiapaws

Got an urge for some right now........and a proper yorkshire fishcake. They're not right unless they're cooked in dripping..... :rolleyes:

Was that the little shop on the left (heading out of the city) on South Road at the bottom of Fulton Road?

Pete's Chippy at Grenoside was legendary...well in Grenoside at least, (World Famous in Grenoside).

It was 2d for a big bag of scraps, but in later years became talked of as selling the smallest fish on the planet. Good, but small.

Unfortunately he had a heart attack and confined himself to 2 days opening a week.

Years ago we had a place in Deepcar near the chippy on the Stubbin.

When I first moved there it was run by told old brothers and one of the daughters and up until around 1995/6 the fryers were still powered by coal fires!!!

The fish wasn't bad either and it was a proper old fish shop....it only sold fish, fish cakes, chips and mushy peas.

There was another one a bit further on in Stocksbridge called johns and he was the same, no kebabs or pizzas, no savaloys or pies just fish, fish cakes, chips and peas.

When I was a lad there was a chippie at the bottom of Skinnerthorpe Rd in Firvale that was the front room of a house. Can't remember a name though, I don't think I was old enough to know chippies had names! The best fish and chips in Sheffield for my money were from the Harlequin on Howard Street opposite the Poly. I worked on Surrey Street and my great treat was to go there for fish and chips in the cafe at lunchtime, or for a change maybe egg and chips. Got to stop now, I'm drooling into the keyboard!

Guest belfrybum

The chippy to remember was the one in the block of shops overlooking pond street bus station.My grandfather took me there when going into town.don't know if its still there.there was always some people stood outside looking over the ledge dropping chips onto people walking below!!

HA HA

Depending on which set of Granparents I was visiting it would either be the one on Manor Top (top of prince of Wales Road) or a choice of Steads (along from Manor Castle) or Manor fisheries (?) round the corner from the 'Merrie Monk'.......

Steads now that was a good fish and chip shop. I used to go to cubs at St Aidens and I had six pence to go,one penny down from Manor top on the tram a Penny subs and a penny back to Manor Top the remaining three pence was for a bag of chips with scraps from Steads eaten on the tram going back.

Thats two and a half pence in new money.

I know it closed and became a ladies hair dresser. Shame.