George Hague of Sheffield (1811-1866)

Guest nicolajr

Guest nicolajr

Hi

Can anyone help with my ancestor George Hague? I've found him in all the censuses, and have him born in Sheffield around 1811 to George Hague, a scissorsmith, and ? (as per marriage certificate).

He first married Elizabeth Owen (abt 1811-1849) and they had five known children, Mary A (1834), George J (1838), Elizabeth (1840), Margaret (1843, and Sarah Jane (1848).

He then married Ann Frost (1824-?) in 1855 and they had five more known children, Harry Frost (1856), Walter (1860), Alice (1862), Edwin (1864) and Leonard (1866).

I'm trying to track down the births/baptisms of George and Elizabeth, their marriage, and anything about George senior. From Family Search I can see there are a couple of possible births for George, either 29 Nov 1811 to George and Mary (Parkin?), or on 24 Oct 1813 to George and Sarah (Greaves), but have no way of knowing if either of these is correct.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can go next?

Thanks

Nicola

Another George (not on the IGI?!)

Baptism at Sheffield Parish Church (SS Peter & Paul, now the Cathedral)

George son of George (labourer) and Sarah HAGUE

born 4 Aug 1812

bapt 30 Aug 1812

The George, father of George born 29 Nov 1811, was a filesmith.

This one looks more promising:

George son of George (scissorsmith) and Mary HAGUE

born 17 Oct 1810

bapt 9 Dec 1810

These are from the index published by the Sheffield FHS. It only goes up to the end of 1812, so I cannot check the occupation of the father of the George born in 1813. I could not find any other children with parents George+scissorsmith+Mary in the period 1806-1812.

Sheffield Indexers will eventually transcribe the baptisms for 1813-1842, but they have started at 1842 and are working backwards in time.

Hugh

I found one child of George (scissorsmith) buried at the Parish Church:

HAGUE Sarah 22 Apr 1817 1m Sheffield,Moor (dau of) George(scissrsmith)

George senior may be one of those listed on this page of the Apprentices and Freemen of the Cutlers Company

Hugh

Guest nicolajr

I found one child of George (scissorsmith) buried at the Parish Church:

HAGUE Sarah 22 Apr 1817 1m Sheffield,Moor (dau of) George(scissrsmith)

George senior may be one of those listed on this page of the Apprentices and Freemen of the Cutlers Company

Hugh

Thanks, for all this, Hugh. It sounds as if George and Mary may be who I am looking for. It is very frustrating that the IGI has gaps. Is the index you have been looking at on-line? Also do you know of anywhere that would have the marriages from around 1820-1838 online?

The FHS sells the baptisms on cd, available through Genfair.

They also sell a disk of marriages covering...

Sheffield Parish Church 1735-1851

St James 1849-1940

St Jude 1855-1938 (there were two St Jude's - this is Moorfields rather than Eldon St. I think)

St Paul 1848-1937

These are indexes of names only. The baptism disk is a full transcription.

Hugh

Hi

Can anyone help with my ancestor George Hague? I've found him in all the censuses, and have him born in Sheffield around 1811 to George Hague, a scissorsmith, and ? (as per marriage certificate).

Hi Nicola - Im also looing for a George Hague - its not the same one though but if you want to give me some idea of the area/road your George lived in then I'll try to bear him in mind when Im searching for mine!

Ancestry do have some marriage records from that time but I dont know how complete they are and its only a transcribed record - I had a quick look but cant see one for George and Mary!

Gill

(by the way Im transcribing some of the parish church baptisms and it wont be long til the 1830s are completed - I'll get a move on!!)

Guest nicolajr

Hi Gill

George jnr and family lived in Hoyle Street from at least 1841 to 1881 when his widow, Ann, was still living there, so if you come across them anywhere else I'd love to know. I have Ancestry and have searched for the marriages of both George jnr to Elizabeth and George snr to Mary, but no luck.

The IGI had two birth/baptisms for George, son of George and Mary, both the one Hugh mentioned, and the one I first mentioned, and I had assumed that these were the same family but the first George had died, although I can't find any burial records on IGI to back this up. Does anyone know if the birth I first mentioned for George/Mary also mentions the father's occupation as a scissorsmith, or is it just the first one?

Good work with the transcribing, Gill, hope you finish soon so I can check out the first few children!

Thanks

Nicola

Guest nicolajr

Given that it seems likely that George's parents were George and Mary Hague, can anyone help me discover if the Mary Ingram on the 1841 census with George and his family in Hoyle Street, is his mother after a re-marriage, or even the mother of his wife Elizabeth Owen?

Guest chrisdavage

Hi

He first married Elizabeth Owen (abt 1811-1849) and they had five known children, Mary A (1834), George J (1838), Elizabeth (1840), Margaret (1843, and Sarah Jane (1848).

He then married Ann Frost (1824-?) in 1855 and they had five more known children, Harry Frost (1856), Walter (1860), Alice (1862), Edwin (1864) and Leonard (1866).

I'm trying to track down the births/baptisms of George and Elizabeth, their marriage, and anything about George senior. From Family Search I can see there are a couple of possible births for George, either 29 Nov 1811 to George and Mary (Parkin?), or on 24 Oct 1813 to George and Sarah (Greaves), but have no way of knowing if either of these is correct.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can go next?

Thanks

Nicola

hi nicola ,i have in my davage tree,thomas davage marrying elizabeth hague March quarter 1875 ,in 1881 census at 209 Carlton road ,Attercliffe Cum Darnall,with daughter ,eleanor hague davage 2yrs,only problem is ,it says elizabeth is 30 and not 40 ,possibly typing error,any good to you, <_<<_< many thanks chris davage

Guest Pat7357

Hello Nicola

I cannot help you with the dates you need but George Hague and Elizabeth Owen are also my ancestors. Their son, George Thomas (b14/9/1837 in Hoyle Street, Sheffield) was my grandmother's grandfather. I have George (b 1911) occupation Tailor living in Hoyle Street with his family in 1841, 1851 & 1861 Censuses. Ann Frost was born in 1824 in Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire and died in 1906 in Sheffield.

Hope this helps

Pat

Hello Nicola

I cannot help you with the dates you need but George Hague and Elizabeth Owen are also my ancestors. Their son, George Thomas (b14/9/1837 in Hoyle Street, Sheffield) was my grandmother's grandfather. I have George (b 1911) occupation Tailor living in Hoyle Street with his family in 1841, 1851 & 1861 Censuses. Ann Frost was born in 1824 in Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire and died in 1906 in Sheffield.

Hope this helps

Pat

hi Pat

i'm also researching George Hague and his son George Thomas Hague. a couple of questions:

- George Thomas married Elizabeth Hadfield in 1858. i have the marriage certificate and it lists her father as Edward Hadfield, silversmith. I cannot find an Edward Hadfield with a daughter Elizabeth in the 1841 and 1851 census records. There is an Edmund Hadfield silversmith with daughter Elizabeth. Do you know know who Elizabeth's parents were?

- I came across this discussion about the older George Hague and who his parents might be. Do you know if anyone confirmed this?

i'm doing this work for a cousin who is a great-granddaughter of George Thomas. her grandfather was his son Walter.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

tom

Guest Pat7357

hi Pat

i'm also researching George Hague and his son George Thomas Hague. a couple of questions:

- George Thomas married Elizabeth Hadfield in 1858. i have the marriage certificate and it lists her father as Edward Hadfield, silversmith. I cannot find an Edward Hadfield with a daughter Elizabeth in the 1841 and 1851 census records. There is an Edmund Hadfield silversmith with daughter Elizabeth. Do you know know who Elizabeth's parents were?

- I came across this discussion about the older George Hague and who his parents might be. Do you know if anyone confirmed this?

i'm doing this work for a cousin who is a great-granddaughter of George Thomas. her grandfather was his son Walter.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

tom

Hi Tom

Edmund Hadfield b about 1817 is the father. He is listed in the 1841 census in George Street. If you look at the image of the original you will see the writing is Edward, not Edmund. His wife is named Mary. I can't find any record for thei marriage or other children and Edward died on 18 January 1849.

Hope this helps

Pat

Sheffield & District FHS have transcribed the cathedral baptisms from 1813-1875, they are available on disc and we have also submitted them to Find My Past which is a pay to view site.

The baptism you mentioned in your early post is this one.

Baptised 24 Oct 1813 George son of George and Sarah HAGUE, Father's occupation Farmer. born 26 Sept 1813

Angela