The Castle - Dykes Hall Road

Guest coffee cup

Guest coffee cup

THE CASTLE

My friend and I ( sound a bit like the Queen don't I ? ) went in hear one Sunday Night around 17 years ago.

We decided to go in just to see what it was like.

What we found was not what we expected.

After we had bought our drinks we went to sit down in what We assumed was the "Best Room" well it didn't have a Pool table or a Dart Board, there was only a handful of people in at the time, but you could have heard a pin drop.

There were bench like seats going round the edge of the room with small formica tables placed, we did think this a little odd as it did not cater for groups of people to sit round the same table.

After a short while this Lady came in and sat very close to us whilst her male partner went to the bar, she was sat so close she was almost sat on our knees, after a while and it was a long while we came to the conclusion we were sat in their usual seats, we thought about dragging it out a bit , but decided against it and made a quick exit, we vowed never again, and we haven't. We did think at the time we were very brave, and thinking back I think we were.

You've opened the BIGGEST can of worms with that post !!

ha ha ha !!!!

There's some Castle regulars who are regulars on here that will be able to tell you a few stories..

Guest coffee cup

Please Castle regulars take no offence by my post , but it did seem such a strange watering hole.

I remember seeing a guy who used to stand outside with his pint, he reminded us of Meatloaf !!

It wasn't until I started working at the Jockey that I found out he drank pints of Woodpecker and he was a nice bloke, he stook up for me a few times when I got verbal from a few young customers.

Don't worry - you'd be hard pushed to find a friendlier place (once you've got used to it)

The place has a very strange layout with the jukebox room, the darts room, the snooker room and the bit opposite the bar with the telly..

Guest maxwell

Steve Clark of Def Leppard used to frequent the Castle even after he became famous.Years ago the snooker table used to be covered and a couple of musicians entertained us in the snooker room.

THE CASTLE

After a short while this Lady came in and sat very close to us whilst her male partner went to the bar, she was sat so close she was almost sat on our knees, after a while and it was a long while we came to the conclusion we were sat in their usual seats, we thought about dragging it out a bit , but decided against it and made a quick exit, we vowed never again, and we haven't. We did think at the time we were very brave, and thinking back I think we were.

Didnt happen to me in the Castle, but I remember going into a pub in Oughtibridge one Saturday night with my girlfriend and another couple back in the late 70's.

We sat down at a table in the corner of the lounge and for a short time we were having a nice time..then a middle aged couple came in - the woman sat down next to me - as close as anything - her hubbie, once returned from the bar with their drinks, sat the other side of my mate, but equally as close....and yet there was plenty of room the other side of his wife.

They then proceeded to have a converstaion across us as if we were not there - loudly. After a short time some friends of theirs arrived and sat on the other side of the table and effectivly hemmed us into the corner. Every time one of us got up to go to the loo or the bar one of them would move, just a few inches, into 'our space' until we were all like sat like sardines.

Once we had sussed what was happeining, being young, we started to see the pathetic humour in this and began to retaliate by talking louder than them etc. but our respective girlfriends didnt feel comfortable, so we eventually left.

It was only a small 'thing' and until reading Coffee Cups post, I had forgotten all about an incident which took place over 25 years ago - but what came to mind then and has done again today was how well 'rehearsed' the older couples were. It was obvious this was a tried and tested method of getting rid of people who had the unmitigated cheek to sit in 'their places'.

Sad then and sad now that people could get so stuck into a rut like that -but then again we are creatures of habit, so they say.

Amazing how pathetic some people can be !

Although the thing I always find more amusing are the couples who seem to go out every night to their local, sit next to each other and then just sit there gazing into space not talking to each other

There's examples of this in every pub and it never fails to make me laugh

Cannot belief i had my after weeding reception ....disco for All those extra friend i could not get into my reception ..upstairs at The Castle .My local as i lived on Dykes Hall Road ...but i am going back to 1973

Zoro

HA HA !!

I've been in the Castle loads and never really had a bad night - always friendly to me, always something happening too

In the early Seventies, the landlord at the Castle attacked his wife, basically knifed her in the back, she survived; he got send away to Rampton Hospital, me, I just lost the part-time job my Dad got my, moving the crates of bottles around in the cellar and sweeping up and the suchlike ...

and what was that stone structure on the right hand side as you came out the front door ? Kind of a small curved wall, sounds like we need a picture if its still there.

Guest codeyes

It was Muriel who was stabbed...she nearly died.and as a result the stress turned her black hair white................her hubby actually came out a few years ago and was knocked down by a bus and killed.

Been going in there both as a regular from 1968 to 1997 and on and off since........what else do you want to know?????? Want to know the whereabots of any old names etc?????

Didnt happen to me in the Castle, but I remember going into a pub in Oughtibridge one Saturday night with my girlfriend and another couple back in the late 70's.

We sat down at a table in the corner of the lounge and for a short time we were having a nice time..then a middle aged couple came in - the woman sat down next to me - as close as anything - her hubbie, once returned from the bar with their drinks, sat the other side of my mate, but equally as close....and yet there was plenty of room the other side of his wife.

They then proceeded to have a converstaion across us as if we were not there - loudly. After a short time some friends of theirs arrived and sat on the other side of the table and effectivly hemmed us into the corner. Every time one of us got up to go to the loo or the bar one of them would move, just a few inches, into 'our space' until we were all like sat like sardines.

Once we had sussed what was happeining, being young, we started to see the pathetic humour in this and began to retaliate by talking louder than them etc. but our respective girlfriends didnt feel comfortable, so we eventually left.

It was only a small 'thing' and until reading Coffee Cups post, I had forgotten all about an incident which took place over 25 years ago - but what came to mind then and has done again today was how well 'rehearsed' the older couples were. It was obvious this was a tried and tested method of getting rid of people who had the unmitigated cheek to sit in 'their places'.

Sad then and sad now that people could get so stuck into a rut like that -but then again we are creatures of habit, so they say.

Had a similar experience on a Saturday night at the Queens Ground in Hillsborough be about six years ago, so it looks as though this still goes off lol Saying that a certain bar stool in my local is referred to as MY seat and none of the locals ever sit there :rolleyes: