Crookesmoor School

Guest Desy

Did anyone go to Crookesmoor in the 50's and 60's.

Remember the teachers.

Mr Oakes

Mrs oliver

Mrs Hattersley

Mrs Copley

Mr Breckan

Those were the only ones I remember

Guest mattjon

Did anyone go to Crookesmoor in the 50's and 60's.

Remember the teachers.

Mr Oakes

Mrs oliver

Mrs Hattersley

Mrs Copley

Mr Breckan

Those were the only ones I remember

I was the last Head Teacher of Crookesmoor School.

It was a sad day when it closed and we had several closing events to which many ex teachers and pupils attended.

Welcome to the site mattjon.

Any particular memories of the place or the people? Maybe some photographs?

It was a sad day when it closed and we had several closing events to which many ex teachers and pupils attended.

I often wonder what closing a place like that down feels like

Walking out for the last time - knowing it's going to be closed forever

Wierd feeling..

When I was there in the mid 50's thw top part of the school above Tay street was for the Boys whilst the bottom part was for the infants and the girls. It all changed I think round about 1958/9 I think when the boys and girls were integrated.

I too am an old girl from Crookesmoor - it was split between infants in the top school and juniors in the lower school, when I was there from 1960 to 1968. We used to play rounders on the black ash pitch on the tip and all our art lessons were in the pre fab building also on the tip. Other teachers I remember are:

Miss Foster

Mr Burton

Mrs McQuiad

Mrs Hornsey

Mrs Hartley

Aaaahhhh......good old days........

Dimi

I went to Crookesmoor in the early 60's - i can remember most of the teachers that Desy mentioned, and now you have reminded me of Mrs Hornesey and Mrs Hartley

I learned basketweaving in one of the prefabs - taught by Mr Brecken

Where did you live back then? - I used to live in the shop just below the school until it was pulled down

Dimi

I went to Crookesmoor in the early 60's - i can remember most of the teachers that Desy mentioned, and now you have reminded me of Mrs Hornesey and Mrs Hartley

Where did you live back then? - I used to live in the shop just below the school until it was pulled down

Can't imagine to this day that Brecken taught Basket weaving. Pull the other one was he going ga ga

Dimi

docmel

I can't remember Mr Breckin teaching basket weaving - are we talking about the same guy? He was a white haired chap getting on a bit or at least he seemed that way to me? He used to shout at me if my writing wasn't EXACTLY on the lines in my excercise book!!

I lived in the shops on Crookes Valley Road, at the top of Oxford Street. The only shop I can remember below the school was Whiteheads - is that the one? Oh I do remember a corner shop - was it a grocery store or something like that?

docmel

I can't remember Mr Breckin teaching basket weaving - are we talking about the same guy? He was a white haired chap getting on a bit or at least he seemed that way to me? He used to shout at me if my writing wasn't EXACTLY on the lines in my excercise book!!

I lived in the shops on Crookes Valley Road, at the top of Oxford Street. The only shop I can remember below the school was Whiteheads - is that the one? Oh I do remember a corner shop - was it a grocery store or something like that?

Dimi

I was there a couple of years before you and he seemed ancient to me then - Gods honest truth it was Breckin who taught us Basket weaving - it was nothing really complicated and anyone doing a couple of night school classes could have taught what we learned, and in those days we never 'swapped' teachers for lessons - you had the same teacher, no matter what subject so it had to be him. It certainly was'nt 'Pop' Edwards who was even older than Breckin

Don't get me wrong this is no hero worship thingy - looking back now I think Breckin was a sadistic nutter - the way he punished kids back then he would be locked up nowadays. He once gave me the cane (the end wrapped in sellotape, so it really stung when it hit your hand) for writing the word "Pub" instead of "Public House" in an essay.

We were in the grocery shop / off license. I think Whiteheads (Joe?) was the Newsagents just below the Ashberry PUB (ok Breckin - curse me from the grave!!!)

Guest Arriba Los Buhos

I remember Mr Oakes as Head master, Raymond F. Oakes to give him his full title,

I left in 1957 from the 11 plus class- form teacherthat year,a Mr Cohen,

Three of us passed the 11 plus,and all left that year:-

Tony Selway, went on to King Edwards,

Myself, on to High Storrs,

and Keith Holland on to City Grammer,

Can't remeber any other names though, I am even amazed where these came out from,

Guest crookesmoorlad

Hello everybody,

I have just found this site so this is my first posting.

I attended Crookesmoor school from 1951 to 1959, when I went to Myers Grove as one of the first lot of pupils. I lived in Bromley Street over the other side of the " Tip "

Some more names of teachers that have come to my mind :

Mrs. Ayres (infant & juniors )

Miss. Bennett

Mrs.Kirby (whose twin boys were in the same class as me )

Mr. Waterhouse

Mr. Wardle ( nicknamed Satchmo ! ) a brilliant teacher , but a mean shot with the blackboard rubber if you were caught talking ! Later to teach at Myers Grove with the first batch of pupils

Mr. Furniss , also to move to Myers Grove

Mr. Woods , also to move to Myers Grove

Mr. Marriott ( who taught woodwork in the annexe )

Mr. Osgathorpe ( who taught metalwork in the annexe ) , also to move to Myers Grove

I have got to mention Mr. (pop) Edwards just out of respect, although he has been mentioned he was a great teacher and a great bloke .

I wonder if anybody else remembers any of these teachers.

Hello everybody,

I have just found this site so this is my first posting.

I attended Crookesmoor school from 1951 to 1959, when I went to Myers Grove as one of the first lot of pupils. I lived in Bromley Street over the other side of the " Tip "

Some more names of teachers that have come to my mind :

Mrs. Ayres (infant & juniors )

Miss. Bennett

Mrs.Kirby (whose twin boys were in the same class as me )

Mr. Waterhouse

Mr. Wardle ( nicknamed Satchmo ! ) a brilliant teacher , but a mean shot with the blackboard rubber if you were caught talking ! Later to teach at Myers Grove with the first batch of pupils

Mr. Furniss , also to move to Myers Grove

Mr. Woods , also to move to Myers Grove

Mr. Marriott ( who taught woodwork in the annexe )

Mr. Osgathorpe ( who taught metalwork in the annexe ) , also to move to Myers Grove

I have got to mention Mr. (pop) Edwards just out of respect, although he has been mentioned he was a great teacher and a great bloke .

I wonder if anybody else remembers any of these teachers.

Welcome, great detail. I'm a Chaucer boy myself, but, great to see your detailed posting :rolleyes:

Guest crookesmoorlad

Welcome, great detail. I'm a Chaucer boy myself, but, great to see your detailed posting :rolleyes:

thanks for that RichardB,

I've just thought of Mr. Lovell who taught woodwork before Mr Marriott , now he was one scary teacher !!!

Guest specialk

Does anyone know where I could access old school class photos from Crookesmoor. I have just found from Sheffield indexers where my mum went to school. She attended Crookesmoor from 1928 to 1932.

Does anybody know anybody that would have been at the school.

Thanks

Betty

[

We were in the grocery shop / off license. I think Whiteheads (Joe?) was the Newsagents just below the Ashberry PUB (ok Breckin - curse me from the grave!!!)

Remember Joe Whitehead smashing bloke I use to help Linda Dawson she lived on Addy street deliver the papers.

[

Remember Joe Whitehead smashing bloke I use to help Linda Dawson she lived on Addy street deliver the papers.

Joe Whitehead gave me my first job delivering the Sunday Papers to the flats on Martion Street - even back then (mid 60's) they were thicker and heavier than usual - took me three trips!

But as you said a great bloke - one fond memory was coming up to Bonfire night Joe would put together a tray of assorted fireworks, bangers, catherine wheels, 'aeroplanes' etc - nothing above a couple of coppers. It was a real treat to rummage through the tray, deciding what to buy with the money you had......and there was Joe stood holding the tray (no top - this was just an old wooden tea tray) with his perpeptual *** hanging from his lips.......think about it.......

Guest Francine

My sister Geraldine did. She was Geraldine Winter. If anyone remembers let me know please. She was born in 1943.

Guest Francine

My brother Paul Winter attended Myers Grove around the time you did. Any memories?? He then went on to Sheffield Art College, and then Birmingham. Any memories good or bad will be realistically welcome.

Francine.

Allegedly my great gran went to this school.Does anyone know when it was built and if there is an archive of registers or anything?

This is not a post about Crookesmoor school but asking the kids of Crooksmoor school

do you know this lady? whose grandmar was she?

This photograph was taken in Weston Park in the early 60s.

Who was this lady, she must have lived local.