New Inn - Anyone know where this is ?

Sheffield History

Guest plain talker

The destination board on the tram seems to read "Ecclesall", if that gives any clues as to the location along the route.

The destination board on the tram seems to read "Ecclesall", if that gives any clues as to the location along the route.

Looks slightly like The New Inn on Bernard St but I didnt know that the trams went down there.Also The pub must have been extended.

Looks slightly like The New Inn on Bernard St but I didnt know that the trams went down there.Also The pub must have been extended.

We don't have the map for this area yet, I don't think trams ran on Bernard Rd, especially with Ecclesall as a destination.

I can see where you are coming from though with the New Inn duke St, looks like it.

That does help a lot plain talker, thanks,

out of seventeen or so New Inn's I came across one that looks to be a good possibility.

New Inn 108

Ecclesall Road

Open 1834

Closed

Span

Comments Earlier 1834 George Sykes (Ecclesall New Road)

1837 J Broomhead

1845 Ann Yates Hallam

1846 Ann Yates Hallam

1849 Ann Hallam

1854 William Morton

1862 Henry Crosby (52 Ecclesall New Road)

1871 Joseph Rowbotham

1881 Joseph Rowbotham

1901 Samuel Rowbotham

1905 Samuel Rowbotham

1911 Samuel Rowbotham

1919 Samuel Rowbotham

1925 Samuel Rowbotham

1948 Percy Taylor

1951 Walter Woodham.

This section taken from map #271 (1953) shows a Cinema on the L/H side (The Star?) the first detached building to the left of that stands number 160 Ecclesall Road.

So count down the buildings from 160, then subtract ? Numbers for the larger buildings,

there is a 'corner building at the junction of Ecclesall Rd & Moor St.' (could that be 108 ?)

The other Road is Hanover St 'if it was there at the time of the photo ?' would be blocked from view by the passing tram, the building shows no 'PH' mark, as most likely it was no longer a pub at that time (1953).

Steve

I have a feeling that this tram is at the junction of Infirmary Rd, Penistone Rd and Shalesmoor, directly opposite the Rosco bingo. Could be wrong but would be interested to know if there was a pub of that name in that position. The chimney on the skyline would be on the Green Lane Works.

The Ecclesall trams did run from Middlewood, didn't they?

That does help a lot plain talker, thanks,

out of seventeen or so New Inn's I came across one that looks to be a good possibility.

New Inn 108

Ecclesall Road

Open 1834

Closed

Span

Comments Earlier 1834 George Sykes (Ecclesall New Road)

1837 J Broomhead

1845 Ann Yates Hallam

1846 Ann Yates Hallam

1849 Ann Hallam

1854 William Morton

1862 Henry Crosby (52 Ecclesall New Road)

1871 Joseph Rowbotham

1881 Joseph Rowbotham

1901 Samuel Rowbotham

1905 Samuel Rowbotham

1911 Samuel Rowbotham

1919 Samuel Rowbotham

1925 Samuel Rowbotham

1948 Percy Taylor

1951 Walter Woodham

This section taken from map #271 (1953) shows a Cinema on the L/H side (The Star?) the first detached building to the left of that stands number 160 Ecclesall Road.

So count down the buildings from 160, then subtract ? Numbers for the larger buildings,

there is a 'corner building at the junction of Ecclesall Rd & Moor St.' (could that be 108 ?)

The other Road is Hanover St 'if it was there at the time of the photo ?' would be blocked from view by the passing tram, the building shows no 'PH' mark, as most likely it was no longer a pub at that time (1953).

Steve

See photo of New Inn, not convinced

I have a feeling that this tram is at the junction of Infirmary Rd, Penistone Rd and Shalesmoor, directly opposite the Rosco bingo. Could be wrong but would be interested to know if there was a pub of that name in that position. The Chimney on the skyline would be on the Green Lane Works.

The Ecclesall trams did run from Middlewood, didn't they?

I think you have got it,Tsavo.No 2 Penistone Rd .Map 29

Thanks Neddy, I've been racking my brains to remember what that building was. I assume it was originally part of the church. Building style looks similar to the Infirmary.

Thanks Neddy, I've been racking my brains to remember what that building was. I assume it was originally part of the church. Building style looks similar to the Infirmary.

It was my doctors as a kid, Dr Jackson.

Guest plain talker

I also thought it might be the new inn on Bernard Road, at first, because of the odd angle of the street corner being very similar, but I realised that it couldn't be that one a) because of the tram/tram tracks, and B) the buildings behind the tram did not align with what you'd expect to see, if it were the Bernard Road New Inn. (particularly the "house"-like building immediately to the left of the tram as you look at the picture, which I think Neddy says was his doctors at number 1, Penistone Road?)

Well got myself in a right pickle there 'haven't I' took me two hours to get nowhere ... :(

Think I will stick to taking photos .. he he

Don't do that Steve (or stop taking the photo's either) we need everyone's input. I am lucky enough to have been around a bit longer that some members and always had my nose to the glass whenever on a bus or tram! :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think The New Inn was run at one time by some relatives of mine - this would be sometime between the wars or just after WW2.

I cannot give any further info I am afraid - my only link with the past was my old Mum and she passed away earlier this year, but I do recall my nan talking about the New Inn and all her family were from that area

Don't do that Steve (or stop taking the photo's either) we need everyone's input. I am lucky enough to have been around a bit longer that some members and always had my nose to the glass whenever on a bus or tram! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

'As If I would' tsavo ....... thanks.

Please Have a sweetey on me.

Number 19 Shrewsbury Road.

;-)

;-)

Errrr. Thanks but I've just had a garden shed. Nice to be offered one though! :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest plain talker

;-)

only if it's one of the boiled-sweet fish, or some mint-rock? (please?)

*sigh* my mum used to bribe me and my sister to walk up Shrewsbury Road to my grandma's, on Park Hill Flats by promising us some "spice" from that sweet factory.