Drinking Fountains

Stuart0742

There was a drinking fountain in the Botanical gardens Ecclesal road, it was in the shape of a mexican hat and had about 5 pewter cups on chains, it was located by the first glass house building as you came in from the Brocco bank entrance.

On 29/09/2008 at 08:26, dunsbyowl1867 said:

When I was a boy there was one just above the boating lake/library at Firth Park - I doubt that is still there!

Remember drinking from it on many occasions and sailing my boat! Think the boat pond became some sort of basket ball or play area. 

On 09/04/2010 at 19:20, Pc Infield said:

This is the drinking fountain in High Hazels Park.It is on the 1903 OS map,but hasn't worked for years.The shield on the front is blank,but I wonder if it has a Jeffcock connection with being in the grounds of their ancestral home.

Drinking Fountain 6410.jpg

Looks very similar to the fountain that once stood in Firth Park?

Posted by HughW: February 2, 2018

"I'm not sure if this is the same as the one in the photo on page 1 of this thread (and in many more at Picture Sheffield). The description is hard to reconcile with what can be seen of it there.

13 June 1896 Sheffield Daily Telegraph"

fountain.jpg

s-l1600_firthpk.jpg

playground firth pk.jpg

• Like 1

Drinking Fountain, Castle Street, incorporated into the walls of the Court House (former Town Hall).

All cleaned up in 1984.t01119.jpg.061fd1ab1dc12a747bfd035fa72ef5f9.jpgt01119

2009 Photographer: Mary Rhodes. t11637.jpg.1138b0499555fbe82a54915df8d651fe.jpgt11637

When people discuss the drinking fountains in Sheffield, this is one that is near the top of the list.

It seems in the 1870's the Drinking Fountain inset into the wall of the Town Hall was also a topic of discussion and wasn't in a good state of repair. 

"Leonard: Some day, perhaps, it may be of interest to remember that the deserted drinking fountain inserted in the wall of the Town Hall, facing Castle Street, was the first erected in Sheffield when the fashion arose for supplying these useful places for quenching the thirst. It was erected by the Town Trustees, and was opened by the late Mr. Wm. Fisher, in 1859.

Leighton: These drinking fountains were not a brilliant success here. They were put up by various patriotic individuals, at the Church gates, the bottom of Spital Hill, the Moor Head, Broad Lane, and Gibraltar Street, but there soon arose a difficulty about a constant supply of water; the stream stopped and the fountains were abominably disfigured by mischievous boys and roughs. In fact they became nuisances."

Extract from page 216, Reminiscences of Old Sheffield its streets and its people. Edited by Robert Eadon Leader. 1875.

In Histories I've come across they say the Town Hall was extended in 1897 and that's when the Drinking Fountain was inset. The extract of the above conversation which appeared as part of series of articles and letters in The Sheffield and Rotherham Independent in 1872 and 1873 seems to imply either it was already there or did a new one replace the one "opened" in 1859. Perhaps they reinstated the original into the new extension.