Drinking Fountains

Stuart0742

Drinking fountains were very common in our parks at one time.

This example in Beauchief Gardens is non working and was there last time I checked.

Beauchief_Gardens_004.jpg

Does anybody know of anymore

Drinking fountains were very common in our parks at one time.

This example in Beauchief Gardens is non working and was there last time I checked.

Does anybody know of anymore

Was still there in May, Stuart,

manufactured in Ayrshire.

The 'PURO'

have you noticed water fountains are marked on the O/S maps.

The one that used to stand in Endcliffe Park must have been one of the most elaborate!

Inside was an elaborate bronze fountain with 3 goblets on chains, and a drinking trough for dogs.

It was presented in August 1889 by Mrs W.G. Blake in memory of her late father, Thomas Jessop. Anyone know when it was removed? It stood roughly where the river now flows behind the shelter at the Hunters Bar entrance.

The entrance was altered in the 1950's and the river rerouted into it's present course, but whether the fountain went at that time I don't know.

One from Ecclesfield - a memorial to TW Jeffcock & his wife Maria.

In front of Ecclesfield church here but later removed to Ecclesfield Park.

Here's one in the middle of the road - I imagine that horse trough was welcome after the long haul up Burngreave Road - situated by the former toll house.

Here's one in the middle of the road - I imagine that horse trough was welcome after the long haul up Burngreave Road - situated by the former toll house.

This looks to be the same one, but viewed from a different angle in 1918.

Anyone remember where the cup and chain was or maybe still is? :rolleyes:

If its the one I'm thinking of, the cup and chain have been stolen ....... someone should be up in court about it!

If its the one I'm thinking of, the cup and chain have been stolen ....... someone should be up in court about it!

That's the one and a good picture too. :rolleyes:

Nice photo dr stanley,

I was wondering who would be the first to post that one up,

all the times I have been near on with my camera,

and forgot to shoot it, :(

looks like Stuart0742 missed it as well.

Nice photo dr stanley,

I was wondering who would be the first to post that one up,

all the times I have been near on with my camera,

and forgot to shoot it, :(

looks like Stuart0742 also missed it as well.

I have to say, I did not know it was there, as I have said before "You learn Something every day"

I'm sure there used to be one in Chelsea Park at Nether Edge - not a posh one mind. Just looked again at the one shown at Beauchief gardens and it was like that one, I think.

Definately one in Chelsea Park like the one right at the beginning, drank from it many times as a child and so did our dog!

Drinking Fountain at the junction of Shalesmoor/ Gibralter Street/ Allen Street and Bowling Green Street, looking towards businesses including Thomas Nixon and son, pawnbroker, Gibralter Street (1890's)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s19331

Erected by Mr Nadin, herbalist of Shalesmoor. (And directly opposte the business premises last occupied by Ebenezer Elliott. (From Pawson & Brailsford Illustraed Guide to Sheffield and Neighbourhood, 1862)

I have to say, I did not know it was there, as I have said before "You learn Something every day"

Originally provided by the Town Trustees.

From Pawson & Brailsford's Illustrated Guide to Sheffield & Neighbourhood, 1862:-

Drinking Fountains

A number of gentlemen have munificently come forward to erect drinking fountains for the use of the town.

There is one in the Wicker, at the entrance to the Midland Railway Station, which is very handsome, and was built by Mr. J. H. Sales, coal merchant,at a cost of about £200.

The Town Trustees have erected one in front of the Town Hall in Castle Street.

There is one within the Free Library building, given by Mr. Alderman Fisher.

There is one at the head of Sheffield-moor, erected by Mr John Brown, of the Atlas Iron & Steel Works.

There is one at the junction of Shalesmoor and Gibraltar Street, erected by Mr Nadin, herbalist, of Shalesmoor...

The teachers and friends of the Redhill Sunday Schools have erected a fountain in that locality;

And there is one given by Mr Henry Levy, outside the Parich churchyard, at the top of High Street.

There is one at the head of Sheffield-moor, erected by Mr John Brown, of the Atlas Iron & Steel Works.

Drinking fountain at base of the Crimean Monument, Moorhead, numbered prior to removal. Given to the city in 1859 by John Brown, former Lord Mayor and Master Cutler.

(1950'ish) picturesheffield

And a photo from Richard's 'Rocks Fine Art Views'

Jeffcock Memorial Fountain, Handsworth.

picturesheffield

"For many years, the Jeffcocks lived in nearby High Hazels John Jeffcock was the first to live there, but it was his son William who built a new mansion on the site in 1850. The closeness of the Jeffcock connection to Handsworth can be seen in St Mary's churchyard. Two box tombs in memory of the family bear inscriptions to over a dozen Jeffcocks. There are tributes to members of the Jeffcock family in St Mary's Church and there is a (disused) fountain and water trough bearing inscriptions to the family on a curve of Handsworth Road".

Link to The History of Handsworth

Images from Google SV