Drinking Fountains

Stuart0742

From Pawson & Brailsford's Illustrated Guide to Sheffield & Neighbourhood, 1862:-

Drinking Fountains

There is one within the Free Library building, given by Mr. Alderman Fisher.

I am currently studying my family history and wondered if anyone knew anymore about the drinking fountain erected by Mr. Alderman Fisher? He is an anscestor of mine and would be very grateful.

Here you go JSP ..

Sorry I got lost in the conversation on bottled water. I must say I miss there not being water to drink in parks. I wasn't brought up in Sheffield but in Glasgow but I remember as a child drinking from a fountain. Not the easiest things to drink from but who cared if you got a bit wet on a hot summers day.

From Pawson & Brailsford's Illustrated Guide to Sheffield & Neighbourhood, 1862:-

Drinking Fountains

And there is one given by Mr Henry Levy, outside the Parich churchyard, at the top of High Street.

Sheffield's first public drinking fountain,

17th of September, 1859.

Barometer and thermometer by Chadburn's of Nursery Street,

17th of December, 1859.

Here you go JSP ..

Thanks, my Christmas break is reserved for trawling through the online newspaper database, haven't got as far as 1860 yet!

Sheffield's first public drinking fountain,

17th of September, 1859.

Barometer and thermometer by Chadburn's of Nursery Street,

17th of December, 1859.

The first Fountain in 1859 must have looked so impressive pity cant find no images of it

could not help but notice the part of Rebecca of the Well..

The story of Rebecca at the well comes from the Book of Genesis. The aged Abraham, wanting a wife for his son Isaac,

sent his servant Eliezer to his homeland of Mesopotamia to find a suitable woman. Tired after his long journey,

Eliezer stopped at a well and prayed for guidance. When Rebecca offered water to Eliezer and his camels,

the old steward recognized her as the appointed bride and presented her with the betrothal jewels offered by the kneeling servant.

http://www.nga.gov/collection/gallery/gg28/gg28-41697.html

The first Fountain in 1859 must have looked so impressive pity cant find no images of it

could not help but notice the part of Rebecca of the Well..

Not sure if we already have a drinking fountain thread, but this image posted by Aiden Stones on his Twitter account is fantastic. It shows the drinking fountain that was at the junction of Gibraltar St, Allen St and Bowling Green Street, and todays view from Moorfileds facing towards Penistone Rd..

https://twitter.com/OldSheffield

Drinking.thumb.jpg.43d4b2a9640d9f583b749db48ac2565e.jpg

• Like 2

There are the remains of one on Broad Lane in the city centre. They were ornate as well as functional, like so much else from the time.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Calvin72 said:

There are the remains of one on Broad Lane in the city centre. They were ornate as well as functional, like so much else from the time.

That's reminded me of one I remember thanks, nice to know at least some of it is still there.

(C) Picture Sheffield    ----------      http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t07457&pos=42&action=zoom&id=97517          -----------       and Google Earth

fountain_broad_lane.jpg

fountain_broad_lane.png

I have taken the liberty of merging the old (dormant for 5 years or more) drinking fountains topic with the new one, so we can see the previous discussion easily and can add to it, as well as finding more drinking fountains not yet mentioned (hopefully)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Not sure if we already have a drinking fountain thread, but this image posted by Aiden Stones on his Twitter account is fantastic. It shows the drinking fountain that was at the junction of Gibraltar St, Allen St and Bowling Green Street, and todays view from Moorfileds facing towards Penistone Rd..

https://twitter.com/OldSheffield

Drinking.thumb.jpg.43d4b2a9640d9f583b749db48ac2565e.jpg

What a fantastic picture. So much going on, but what is the man on the white horse doing?

I'm not sure if this is the same as the one in the photo on page 1 of this thread (and in many more at Picture Sheffield). The description is hard to reconcile with what can be seen of it there.

13 June 1896 Sheffield Daily Telegraph
Firth Park drinking fountain  1896-06-13 SDT.JPG

• Like 1

Would love t know that happened to those that were removed. They look far too ornate, beautiful and professionally made for them to be just smashed up as rubble.

These drinking fountains all seem to be in the town centre or nearby. Does anyone know of any in the countryside? 

On 13/11/2020 at 15:37, Calvin72 said:

Close up of the inscription on the Broad Lane fountain today. 

Broad Lane fountain close up.jpg

Anyone able to translate what this says please?

It's Sheffield's motto: "Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit" which translated means "With God's help our labour is successful"

• Thanks 1