Mary Staniforth of Ivy Cottage

Guest clive

I am looking for info. re Mary Staniforth born around 1790, had a boy Francis about 1813 to Erasmus Steel.

Nothing found re. Steel and very little re. Mary and Francis.

Any help appreciated!

Any clues as to the location of Ivy Cottage please ? i.e. a district ?

What evidence do you already have of Ivy Cottage and Mary/Erasmus ?

A long shot ? Ivy cottages - Whitely woods.

That would have been my first guess, but then there is/was also Ivy Cottage on Ivy Cottage Lane just a bit higher up the valley.

I think both would be in Ecclesall Bierlow, the river being the boundary between that and Upper Hallam.

Guest lozzie

Hi Clive

What is your connection to Mary Staniforth & Francis??

From Parish Registers I have information that Erasmus Steel was the reputed father of Francis Staniforth son of Mary. However the baptism was c 1831 and Mary was only 17/18 years of age. This was in the Handsworth/Woodhouse district?

Could it possibly be the same one?

Look forward to your reply

Loz

Guest lozzie

Hi Clive

Just checked in the book Sicklesmiths & Spear Carriers and it does list Mary Staniforth as being of Ivy Cottage, Hackenthorpe......which was in those days Derbyshire

Look forward to your reply

Loz

Ivy cottage I believe was in Hackenthorpe. Further than that I dont know.

Mary Staniforth was born approx. 1813/14 and had a child about 1831 called Francis, the father reputed to be Erasmus Steel but I can find no record of him either before or after the event. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Lozzie

yes this is the same person that I am interested in. Any help would be great.

Sorry for the delay in replying but have been away for last 4 weeks.

clive

Guest whatever

Ivy cottage I believe was in Hackenthorpe. Further than that I dont know.

Mary Staniforth was born approx. 1813/14 and had a child about 1831 called Francis, the father reputed to be Erasmus Steel but I can find no record of him either before or after the event. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Clive There was an Ivy Cottage on Hemsworth Road and a lot of Staniforth's in that area for the dates you want.

Hi Clive

If you go to Central Library they have a copy of "Sicklesmiths & Spear Carriers" in the reference only section.

It does give some detail in this book about these people.

Francis went to Australia. I do have details of his marriage, birth of his children etc etc supplied to me from a friend in Oz.

Rosamund also has these details in her book.

Are they your ancestors? How are you connected?

Regards

Loz

Hi, There is a Erasmus Steel born Whittington 1809/10, living in the Attercliffe and Darnall area in the1851, 1861 and 1871 census.

He married a Sarah Jane ? born 1816 Woolwich London, in 1841 at Sheffield.

Their children were:

Albert b 1846

Erasmus b 1841 (reason for the marriage??)

Henry b 1850

Jane b 1839 (pre marriage or sarah's child from another relationship?)

In the 1871 census Erasmus and Jane are alone.

Erasmus died in 1875 at Sheffield. His occupation was a Steel Melter.

1861 Census

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but after finally getting in touch with Clive to let him know he's my distant Australian Cousin, I wanted to let everyone know where the mysterious Ivy Cottage is at Hackenthorpe. If you know The Sportsman Inn on Main Street, there is an area to its left that looks to be a large group of trees, however in the dead center you will notice what looks to be a bit of a driveway, if you go up there, you will find Ivy Cottage.

You would not know the house was there if you were on the road, if you look at Google Maps you can just about make out the roof.

8 hours ago, Nathan J. Staniforth said:

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but after finally getting in touch with Clive to let him know he's my distant Australian Cousin, I wanted to let everyone know where the mysterious Ivy Cottage is at Hackenthorpe. If you know The Sportsman Inn on Main Street, there is an area to its left that looks to be a large group of trees, however in the dead center you will notice what looks to be a bit of a driveway, if you go up there, you will find Ivy Cottage.

You would not know the house was there if you were on the road, if you look at Google Maps you can just about make out the roof.

Ivy Cottage is on Map 133 on this site   Nathan    It's good to revive old posts, I missed this one and actually remember where it was.                   ---------        Map_133__watermk__upload.jpg

7 hours ago, boginspro said:

Ivy Cottage is on Map 133 on this site   Nathan    It's good to revive old posts, I missed this one and actually remember where it was.                   ---------        Map_133__watermk__upload.jpg

That's a brilliant map! It's amazing, I grew up in Hackenthorpe and never knew there was a house behind the trees there at the side of the pub, even my grandad had no idea and he remembers the blacksmith, horses going up and down Main street etc, but he hadn't a clue where Ivy Cottage was

7 hours ago, Nathan J. Staniforth said:

That's a brilliant map! It's amazing, I grew up in Hackenthorpe and never knew there was a house behind the trees there at the side of the pub, even my grandad had no idea and he remembers the blacksmith, horses going up and down Main street etc, but he hadn't a clue where Ivy Cottage was

As kids we would go up there and climb over a wall to go scromping apples.