Forge Dam - 70 Years Ago Today

dunsbyowl1867

I remember (just!) as a child being able to see the Milky Way from our back garden ...

Sheffield - Centre of the known Universe Shocker - News Just In - Floodlights Spoiled Play ...

Source : Completely made up.

Guest RosH

Hi,

Friends of the Porter Valley has started fund-raising for the restoration on Forge Dam - we need to remove the excess silt, do some safety work on the dam walls and spillway, and put some measures in place to reduce silting in future.

Look on our website www.sheffieldportervalley.org.uk for more information (the website is under redevelopment, and there isn't any information just yet, except in the newsletter).

Does anyone have any photos of the dam after the last desilting operation, which must have been at least 20 years ago? We'd like an image of what we're aiming for in the current restoration.

Thanks,

Ros Hancock

FoPV

This picture is of my father, Cyril Russell (later an arts and crafts teacher at Myers Grove), and his youngest sister, my aunt Alice Russell (later Linley), probably around 1946 when my father was on leave from the army. I have assumed it is at Forge Dam, though in those days municipal rowing lakes were a plenty. He'd have been about 25 at the time and had survived North Africa and the Italian landings. He went back to Italy and Yugoslavia and spent the next three years taking up mine fields in his role as a Royal Engineers Sapper.

Cyril and Alice Russell c 1945.JPG

• Like 1

On 26/06/2019 at 23:24, John Russell said:

This picture is of my father, Cyril Russell (later an arts and crafts teacher at Myers Grove), and his youngest sister, my aunt Alice Russell (later Linley), probably around 1946 when my father was on leave from the army. I have assumed it is at Forge Dam, though in those days municipal rowing lakes were a plenty. He'd have been about 25 at the time and had survived North Africa and the Italian landings. He went back to Italy and Yugoslavia and spent the next three years taking up mine fields in his role as a Royal Engineers Sapper.

Cyril and Alice Russell c 1945.JPG

Hi John, it's possible this is Forge Dam, but it's square, where as this dam appears long, narrowing down at the top left, over shadowed by trees, where it is very shallow, hence the notice. I think the rowing dam in Endcliffe is a good candidate.