Rag and Tag Market

Guest Desy

Perhaps someone can help me here. Looking at the map, I seem to remember a little offshot to the market (marked in red).On both side where the usual stalls, I remember "Ledgers" fabrics being the first in the row. The cobblestones sloped down towards Shude Hill and I have the distinct memory of a large stone archway disappearing under what would have been Shude Hill and another archway on the right hand side. As a kid these "tunnels" always fascinated me but apart from taking a couple of steps inside I never ventured any further.

Perhaps someone can help me here. Looking at the map, I seem to remember a little offshot to the market (marked in red).On both side where the usual stalls, I remember "Ledgers" fabrics being the first in the row. The cobblestones sloped down towards Shude Hill and I have the distinct memory of a large stone archway disappearing under what would have been Shude Hill and another archway on the right hand side. As a kid these "tunnels" always fascinated me but apart from taking a couple of steps inside I never ventured any further.

If my memory serves me right, there was access to a seperate Market Hall off Shude Hill and if you walked through you ended up in the main "Rag and Tag". This was mainly greengrocers and plant/garden supplies. My dad used to by all his garden plants from here.

If my memory serves me right, there was access to a seperate Market Hall off Shude Hill and if you walked through you ended up in the main "Rag and Tag". This was mainly greengrocers and plant/garden supplies. My dad used to by all his garden plants from here.

I seem to remember Ogleys ,lots of chickens.cats, dogs and plants through here. I have seen this on a Joe Scarborough painting. If I remember where I may accidentally take a photo.

Guest davekowl

The thing I remember most about the market was the smell. It was a mixture of just about everything you could imagine.

A cocktail of animal smells , leather, food and many more different smells that made it a very special place to be.

Guest plain talker

That is one of my first ever memories

One of my earliest memories, too, PG.... the scales seemed huge to me, as a tot.

I can remember being taken round the market by my mother, when I was a very small child, probably on our way to my grandmothers, on Park Hill.

I remember it being a rainy day, and water dripping off the stalls, and cardboard boxes, ripped up and placed across the puddles. I remember the hordes of people, bustling about, and the noise, of the vendors calling their prices to attract the customers.

There were some cheapo plastic baby dollies you could get, at that time, which were wrapped in the same material as dusters, but dyed pink or blue. They came in various sizes, from about 3" in height to about 6 or 8" and with various accessories, like a cot, a pram, bunk beds or a high chair.

They only cost a bob or two, and I can remember clamouring, and "showing off" at my mother, because I wanted one of these dolls.

I must have only been about two-and-a-half or three years old, because it was around the same time as grandma had moved onto Park Hill, which dates it to late 1966, and my sister was still just a babe-in-arms.

Re; tunnels mystery at the rag and tag . This snippet is from the memoires of an old ancestor of mine in 1826 era; quote=[l remember the Shrewsbury Hospital being where the Vegetable market is now,it was sunk down below the road way and they had to go some steps to get into the grounds the hospital grounds occupied nearly the whole space between the bottom of the New Market and the canal wharf.] Skeets.

For those that don't rememberthe enterance was at the bottom of Dixon Lane and it went over to the bottom of commercial street. Don't remember much about it only there use to be a guy sell crockery think he was called pop Edwards.

Hi Desy About75 years ago as a lad l recall a man selling patent medicines,[ a quack of course ], l remember laughing out loud at one of his patters[qoute./ If you see your child scratching his bum, picking his nose ,THAT CHILD has got WORMS now here is an instant cure] here l thought he was going to say GIVE him a slap across his face like mum used to do ] but he said [6 pence a bottle] when l recall this, l always smile. Skeets.

For those that don't rememberthe enterance was at the bottom of Dixon Lane and it went over to the bottom of commercial street. Don't remember much about it only there use to be a guy sell crockery think he was called pop Edwards.

RE Potty Edwards, you have reminded me of an old nieghbour of ours, Gertie Hepple, who worked with him, she loaded the trays for him to throw about , it was a skilled operation ,also l have researched my family tree, and find that this GERTIE who was a friend and nieghbour of ours was a blood relation of ours decades ago [if only they had known,eh Skeets]

I have a print by Terry Gorman on my wall. It shows the old market hall where they sold chickens etc, and the lady with the golden scales.

As we do not have a single 1950's OS map that covers all of the markets area,

I have put together sections of OS maps #1 and #4.

The size is slightly reduced compared with the originals.

SH link to OS map #1

As we do not have a single 1950's OS map that covers all of the markets area,

I have put together sections of OS maps #1 and #4.

The size is slightly reduced compared with the originals.

and a fine map it is ! Thanks Steve.

RE Potty Edwards, you have reminded me of an old nieghbour of ours, Gertie Hepple, who worked with him, she loaded the trays for him to throw about , it was a skilled operation ,also l have researched my family tree, and find that this GERTIE who was a friend and nieghbour of ours was a blood relation of ours decades ago [if only they had known,eh Skeets]

I hear that Potty Edwards died recently his name was Mick but I think this would

be the son of the one that was around in the Rag and Tag.

I hear that Potty Edwards died recently his name was Mick but I think this would

Potty Edwards at work in the rag n tag

I'm sure you're right, I once had the dubious pleasure of sharing a room with the old chap at Claremont Hospital in about 1980 and he was an old man then.

What with his horribly tinny Russian miniature TV and his business associates discussing big property deals all day, I was glad to be discharged, even if the meals were silver service.

HD

There is more about Potty Edwards here

The Potty Edwards

Also includes items on the other members of the Edwards family and a recent biographical book.

There is more about Potty Edwards here

The Potty Edwards

Also includes items on the other members of the Edwards family and a recent biographical book.

The RETRO suppliment in the Saturday Star today (Saturday 26 February 2011) contains an extended section about the Edwards family, Potty Edwards and publicity for this book which is of course obtainable from The Star store.

Don't forget the lady with the weighing machine (with the plush red seat) who guessed your weight before you got on. If she was right you paid your 2d, if she was wrong it was free. Don't think she got many wrong though!

Seems they have been weighing "stuff" there for some time - 1851 Census image.

Just how old was the machine we all remember (only just remember in my case) ?

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 10.21.19.jpg

Who remembers the lady with the weighing scales in the old rag and tag market?

Does anyone know her name?

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 10.28.03.jpg

The Sheaf Market also known as Rag and Tag market in Sheffield City Centre from Broad Street

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 10.30.11.jpg

The Sheaf Market (Rag and Tag Market) on the left

Nos 41, 39, 37 etc. (right), Sheaf Street and the junction with Commercial Street showing entrance to Sheaf Market often called The Rag and Tag Market (left) and fire damaged Corn Exchange in the background (right)

The Corn Exchange was built for the Duke of Norfolk in 1881

The Central Hall of the Corn Exchange was gutted by fire in 1947 and the offices surrounding it were demolished in 1964.

5867d76f50ac5_RaganTagMarketSheffield.jpg.0073ca130e10566a28c413b224ae8aa9.jpg

I think this is a shot of the old Sheaf Market (Rag and Tag market)? Can anyone confirm?