Reg Dixon - Mr Blackpool !

dunsbyowl1867

Reg Dixon born & brought up in Sheffield - went to Blackpool on day in March 1930 to audition for the job as resident organist at the Tower Ballroom. He got the job and was resident for the next 40 years! A regular broadcaster he entertained millions and was know as Mr Blackpool.

His father and mother lived for years near the bottom of Lebnnox Road, just above the Holy Trinity Church at Hillsborough.

Happy Days! PopT

His father and mother lived for years near the bottom of Lebnnox Road, just above the Holy Trinity Church at Hillsborough.

Happy Days! PopT

My grandad who lived on Beechwood Road Hillsborough as boy always reckoned that he went to school with Reginald Dixon

Reg was born on Walkley Rd, just above Walkley library.

Grandad may have been right then, would they both have gone to Wisewood school at some time around the time of the first world war?

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Reg Dixon born & brought up in Sheffield - went to Blackpool on day in March 1930 to audition for the job as resident organist at the Tower Ballroom. He got the job and was resident for the next 40 years! A regular broadcaster he entertained millions and was know as Mr Blackpool.

This is a good book

Guest bblenkin

My late grandmother used to tell a story about how she used to play piano with Reginald Dixon in her youth, and how they came first and second in a regional competition. Although she was a very good piano player, she was also a good story-teller and I suspected this might not be true, until somebody sent me a clip from his autobiography which refers to her! She also lived on Lennox Road, so it all starts to hang together. Apparently Reginald was also a big Wednesday fan, so he would have approved that she eventually married Ernest Blenkinsop, the Wednesday and England left-back.

My late grandmother used to tell a story about how she used to play piano with Reginald Dixon in her youth, and how they came first and second in a regional competition. Although she was a very good piano player, she was also a good story-teller and I suspected this might not be true, until somebody sent me a clip from his autobiography which refers to her! She also lived on Lennox Road, so it all starts to hang together. Apparently Reginald was also a big Wednesday fan, so he would have approved that she eventually married Ernest Blenkinsop, the Wednesday and England left-back.

My that is a claim to fame and of course Ernest had another claim to fame - any other memories of Ernest?

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...?showtopic=6041

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Yes. I've just joined the site, but I'll add a few and a reply on the picture from the Spain game.

I can remember meeting Blenkie back in the late 1960s at his pub in Sandygate. We talked for ages about his career...and Mrs Blenkinsop had to tell us we'd spent long enough reminiscing! He was a lovely man, friendly and very knowledgeable. He also had a good story to tell.

Guest skeets

Reg was born on Walkley Rd, just above Walkley library.

tsavo Did he not play at the old Regent before he went to Blackpool this seems to lurk at the back of my mind, Skeets.