Longley Park Bowling Greens

dunsbyowl1867

I think these are still there - no doubt protected by 7 foot high fences and razor wire! Interesting to see the open fields where the housing estate would later be built - is it called Langley Farm?

I think these are still there - no doubt protected by 7 foot high fences and razor wire! Interesting to see the open fields where the housing estate would later be built - is it called Langley Farm?

I think it was called Longley Hall Farm. The building over the trees on the right was the farmhouse. If I remember correctly it belonged to the Northern General Hospital, and supplied them with milk etc.

The field you can see was visible from the top floor of the old Firth Park Grammar School, up on the hill to the left out of the picture.

I can remember warm summer afternoons around 1960 in double-German lessons, looking drowsily out of the window at the same field, full of ripening barley swaying in the wind, and wishing I was somewhere else!

I think it was called Longley Hall Farm. The building over the trees on the right was the farmhouse. If I remember correctly it belonged to the Northern General Hospital, and supplied them with milk etc.

The field you can see was visible from the top floor of the old Firth Park Grammar School, up on the hill to the left out of the picture.

I can remember warm summer afternoons around 1960 in double-German lessons, looking drowsily out of the window at the same field, full of ripening barley swaying in the wind, and wishing I was somewhere else!

Bayleaf

I assume you're not old enough to remember when this spot looked like this ? Any guesses?

Bayleaf

I assume you're not old enough to remember when this spot looked like this ? Any guesses?

Thanks for the assuption! No not quite that old. I'd guess the picture is not far from where we're talking about?

Thanks for the assuption! No not quite that old. I'd guess the picture is not far from where we're talking about?

The dip in the road running down from the Brushes up to Longley Farm - across from some old stone farm buildings in Longley Park? Is it called Longley Lane?

Cheers!

Not far wrong about the fence ....... no razor wire yet though! Longley was my local park as a kid, spent hours in there, sledging down the hills in summer on a piece of cardboard from the local shops and then there was the pool, always freezing even on the hottest day.

I remember 2 shelters in between the 2 bowling greens, in one of the shelters there was a brass plaque in rememberence (I think) of the servicemen of the area who did not return. Opposite the entrance to the greens was the "parkies hut"and woe betide you if you where caught venturing anywhere near the bowling greens without good reason.

Not far wrong about the fence ....... no razor wire yet though! Longley was my local park as a kid, spent hours in there, sledging down the hills in summer on a piece of cardboard from the local shops and then there was the pool, always freezing even on the hottest day.

I remember 2 shelters in between the 2 bowling greens, in one of the shelters there was a brass plaque in rememberence (I think) of the servicemen of the area who did not return. Opposite the entrance to the greens was the "parkies hut"and woe betide you if you where caught venturing anywhere near the bowling greens without good reason.

Not exactly inviting is it. I bet the gates aren't as effective as the parkies were when we were kids!

Well, the tree is still there, but the hedges replacing the flower beds are obscuring the view over towards Longley Lane....

B90EC797-A63B-48EB-A429-CC65B62EF5E9.jpeg

E6623347-242E-45FA-BDE9-869A2E1EA5F8.jpeg