Scamps Nightclub Sheffield

Sheffield History

SCAMPS nightclub sheffield.jpg

SCAMPS NIGHTCLUB

post-1-1172928609.jpg

Eyre Street - Sheffield City Centre

INFORMATION

Originally the Penny Farthing, Then Pennys, Then Scamps, this venue has always been a popular one and was one of the clubs of sheffield in the 70's.

There used to be the Beer Kellar next door that was unique in it's own right - then as the night wore on customers would go next door to Scamps and continue their night of fun !

PICTURES

post-1-1172928151.jpg

scamps.jpg

scmap.jpg

Guest mackyD

I'm too you young to have actually gone 'clubbing' here but as a kid I was taken to Scamps as my mum was a cleaner there! I thought it was brilliant. I was actually in a night club and I was only about 7/8!! Once when they had a re-fit in there, we were there all day (the cleaners tidying up after the joiners etc) and has they were running late, we were actually going out of one door while the punters were coming in the other! That was so cool to a kid! The music blaring out and everything! Great memories!

Excellent stuff - even when you're an adult being in a nightclub during the day when it's closed is exciting and interesting..

So different - and looks so much smaller too !

SCAMPS NIGHTCLUB

Eyre Street - Sheffield City Centre

INFORMATION

Originally the Penny Farthing, Then Pennys, Then Scamps, this venue has always been a popular one and was one of the clubs of sheffield in the 70's.

There used to be the Beer Kellar next door that was unique in it's own right - then as the night wore on customers would go next door to Scamps and continue their night of fun !

PICTURES

Picked up up a book last night, which I hadn't read for 20 years - found this inside complete with a lass's name & phone number on the back! As I remember very trendy in early 1980s - and I suppose using a word like that means I'm not!

• Like 1

Picked up up a book last night, which I hadn't read for 20 years - found this inside complete with a lass's name & phone number on the back! As I remember very trendy in early 1980s - and I suppose using a word like that means I'm not!

Did you call the number to see if she was home ?? lol

Guest DoctorRadio

I was a DJ for the SCAMPS chain of clubs and did the Sheffield venue a couple of times. It was owned by the STAR group, a Leeds company that had been in cenemas for years. they converted many to night clubs (most called Penny farthing, later changed to Scamps) and the bigger bits into German Hoffbrauhauseren. They had an exclusive franchise to sell a Muich brew called Hofbrau, a real pilsner that was pretty potent. The Hoffbrauhauseren were set out with long tables like genuine beer halls

Guest gowest1965

hey macky d , my mum too was a cleaner at scamps too i used to go to work with her must of only been about 6-7 at the time ,that was in the 70s ,was great we would go round soon as she had opened up looking on the floor for dropped money etc ,what year was it you used to go ?

I was a DJ for the SCAMPS chain of clubs and did the Sheffield venue a couple of times. It was owned by the STAR group, a Leeds company that had been in cenemas for years. they converted many to night clubs (most called Penny farthing, later changed to Scamps) and the bigger bits into German Hoffbrauhauseren. They had an exclusive franchise to sell a Muich brew called Hofbrau, a real pilsner that was pretty potent. The Hoffbrauhauseren were set out with long tables like genuine beer halls

ha ha ! excellent !

welcome to the site by the way - would be good to hear what your lasting memories of Scamps are

Guest gowest1965

as a kid the big metal stairs at the back,and hearing stories of the bouncers chucking people down them lol, mum used to work behind the bar when she first started there and as years went on gave that up and went onto days cleaning with another 2 or 3 women .

like i say i was only young but young enough to remember going with her and helping , well i say more like looking for money on the floors and down the back of seats .

we left sheffield in 1976 and moved to the isle of wight , but still came back to sheffield as we had relations left there i,e aunts uncles one of which my uncle spud Norman Spud west , who played in many different groups around sheffield with roger middleton and dave ? was always great going to watch them play, i wonder does anyone remember them ?