William Barnsley Allen VC

dunsbyowl1867

I think we can claim him!

William Allen was a member of Sheffield University Officers Training Corps whilst he was studying medicine. Just off the main Mess in Somme Barracks, home of Sheffield UOTC, there is an ante-room named the "Allen VC Room" which proudly displays on the wall a framed photograph of William, along with the citation as well as a copy of his VC and several of his other medals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Barnsley_Allen

The very room i was in yesterday. But couldn't get to his citations 'cause they were blocked by computer gear!

Better luck later this week.

Dean.

The following URL gives a fuller picture of William's life (and death) than the Wikipedia article

http://www.chrishobbs.com/williamallen1916.htm

Interestingly enough, William is, as far as I can ascertain, the only ex-University of Sheffield student to have been awarded the VC and yet he is totally omitted from any mention in the University's recently published Centenary history. I am unsure of why this oversight occurred.

Nothing new, but Captain Allen is mentioned in 'A Popular History of the Great War' Vol 3By JA Hammerton

Guest Trefcon

This from 'Deeds that thrilled the Empire', printed in the 20's.

"CAPTAIN W. B. ALLEN ASSISTING MEN WOUNDED BY THE EXPLOSION OF AMMUNITION, AFTER HIMSELF BEING WOUNDED.

A German shell, having exploded some ammunition which was being unloaded, caused several casualties. Captain William Barnsley Allen MC MB of the Royal Army Medical Corps, with utter disregard of danger, ran across the open, under heavy shell-fire, and commenced dressing the wounded, thereby saving many men from bleeding to death. He was himself hit four rimes by pieces of shell, one of which fractured two of his ribs, but coolly went on with his work until the last man was dressed and safely removed. For his most conspicuous devotion to duty he was awarded the VC."