Weston Street and Weston Street Chapel

Guest Jeremy

I've had these photos sitting around for a while now. Not sure who took them or when...

Various of my ancestors attended Weston Street chapel.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for posting the photos,

we now have a 1951/52 map on here that covers Weston St.

Have a look on map #275

Bottom center, the Methodist Church, seems to be the one?

Steve

Guest Jeremy

Thanks Steve,

that's the one. It was opened in 1861, but was gone by not too long after that map was made.

Picture Sheffield have a photo of George Wagstaff, one of the founding members and my GGG grandfather.

Jeremy

Guest Jeremy

Thanks for the photos Jeremy. You're not from Gleadless are you ????

No, I grew up in Nether Edge and Millhouses. What makes you think I might be from Gleadless?

Jeremy

Guest plain talker

Thanks Steve,

that's the one. It was opened in 1861, but was gone by not too long after that map was made.

Picture Sheffield have a photo of George Wagstaff, one of the founding members and my GGG grandfather.

Jeremy

Correctamundo! The map was made in 1951, and the area around Weston Street, Bramwell Street and Fawcett Street, etc, were totally cleared in 1956/7/8. My Grandparents and G-Grandparents were from Summer street, and my G-parents lived on Fawcett street before being moved, en masse, in 1957, to Gleadless Valley.

I know that my G-parents' next door neighbour was a near neighbour of theirs from their Fawcett Street days. It seemed that the folks were moved from their old neighbourhood onto "the Valley" pretty much wholesale at that time.

(this may also be why RichardB thought you may have been from Gleadless, Jeremy)

Guest Jeremy

George Wagstaff, my GGG grandfather mentioned above, was born 185 years ago today. Here's a brief biography of him that I found in The Local Preachers' Magazine and Christian Family Record for the year 1871 on Google Books.

----

BROTHER GEORGE WAGSTAFF was born at Sheffield, June 6th, 1824; but little is known of his early life, till at about the age of six years he became a scholar in the Park Wesleyan Sunday School, at, or immediately after the opening of that institution, which he attended with great regularity for eleven years. He was much respected both by teachers and children, as a loving and forgiving spirit was a marked feature in his character. His remarkable talent for singing (though he does not appearto have studied music as a science) was early developed; for he became, while quite a child, the conductor of the singing in the school ; and being but small of stature, he was wont to stand upon one of the teacher's stools, to lead the tunes.

The esteem in which he was held by the children was remarkable, as was publicly testified in the following manner. In November of 1840, I believe, one of the superintendents, on the Sunday before the fair, took occasion to speak to the children on the evils and dangers of attending the fair, and strongly exhorted them all to keep away. But on one of the fair days George saw the same man somewhere in the immediate vicinity of the fair, his business leading him there, though he did not go into the fair. But the youthful mind of our brother at once drew the conclusion that there was great inconsistency between the superintendent's exhortation and conduct ; and so, without staying to ask how or why it was, he spoke of it to the other scholars ; and the report that the superintendent had been to the fair, spread till it reached the ears of the teachers and officers. An inquiry was made, and the report was traced to Brother Wagstaff, who was at once arraigned before them to answer for the offence; and it was decided to expel him from the school for the slander : but before doing so, it was determined to put it to the vote of the children ; who almost unanimously resolved that he should not be expelled ; for the general cry was, What shall we do for a leading singer ? and so our brother was saved. This appears to have been the climax of his career, or the dark hour before the dawn of morning with him. For shortly after, that is in 1841, a very gracious revival of religion broke out in the school, and about sixty of the children became converted, and gave their hearts to God, amongst whom was our Brother Wagstaff. He at once united himself to the Wesleyan Church, and became a member of Brother G. Gregg's class, and afterwards of Brother John Unwin's. Almost immediately after he became a teacher in the school in which he had been a scholar, and as such continued to labour with diligence and usefulness till he reached the age of nineteen. In 1843 he began to preach that gospel which had made him happy in the love of God, and he continued, " in season and out of season," to preach Christ and Him crucified, with fidelity and zeal, till his last affliction put an end to his labour, about twelve months before his death.

We find that in 1848 Brother Wagstaff was so aggrieved at the Wesleyan Conference prohibiting the Rev. J. Caughey preaching in their pulpits, that he withdrew from the society and joined the Methodist New Connexion. But he does not appear to have found his home in that body, for in 1849 we again find his name on the East Circuit Wesleyan plan, as a local preacher, where he remained till the commencement of the Reform movement, in which he does not appear to have taken any very active part, though his sympathies went with those who stood up for their Christian liberty. The result was, that he was one of the more than thirty local preachers who, in one quarter, were left off the plan by the superintendent; and from that time he devoted his energies to spreading the principles of Wesleyan Reform, and preaching amongst them the gospel of the Son of God ; and to these principles he continued faithful; for when a large number of the Reformers joined with the Wesleyan Association, and so formed the " United Methodist Free Churches," he remained with his brethren, and was a member of the Church in Garden Street. In 1861, when the church worshipping there erected Weston Street Chapel, he became one of its most active trustees and officers, being successively elected church steward, steward to the trustees, president of the church, and secretary to the trustees ; all which offices he sustained with credit to himself, satisfaction to his brethren, and great advantage to the church. He was also elected one of the first superintendents of the Weston Street Sunday School, and as such laboured with faithfulness and success for several years. Through failing health, he for a time retired, but was again elected, and sustained the office till within a few months of his death.

In addition to this, he was, between 1859 and 1864 inclusive, four years secretary, and in 1864 president of the preachers' meeting; and in 1869 he was president of the circuit, besides helping in numerous other offices. It will thus be seen he was " in labours more abundant," and always enjoyed the full confidence of his brethren.

His last affliction was long and very painful, but was borne with a truly Christian spirit. The grace of patience was very largely developed in him ; and oft was he heard to say amidst his suffering, "Thy will be done." His confidence in his Saviour was never shaken; and that gospel which he had so long preached to others, he now found was equal to the necessities of his own case. Throughout his affliction he seldom evinced any ecstasy ; and even when he did become at all excited, it was with the thought of the glory of heaven, and the happiness of re-union with those he had loved on earth.

Some time before his death he prayed frequently and earnestly that Jesus would not delay, but haste and take him home, often repeating, "Lord Jesus, come quickly;" "Please, Jesus, do come;" and similar expressions; but amidst all he never repined, or said his sufferings were too great. Just before his death he turned his weary head, closed his eyes, breathed a few gentle sighs, and then sweetly fell asleep in Jesus, on the 14th of August, 1871, aged 47 years.

Our brother was thrice married; and he leaves to mourn his loss, a widow, two sons, and a daughter ; the eldest of whom has arrived at man's estate, and is treading in his father's steps. The two younger are yet in their childhood; but if spared, in the providence of God, to mature life, we hope they too will follow their father as far as he followed Christ.

George Wagstaff, as a son, was dutiful and affectionate; as a husband, loving, kind, and considerate; as a father, good, in the best sense of the word; as a servant, faithful ; as a Christian, his character was marked by a oneness and consistency seldom equalled; and as a preacher and Sunday School teacher, he was zealous and successful. His talents, though not of the highest order, were such as gave him access to the pulpits of most of the Wesleyan bodies. His preaching was vigorous, plain, and to the point. His expositions and illustrations of divine truth were ever such as forced home their importance to the minds of them that heard him; and many will be the stars in the crown of his rejoicing in that day when his Master shall say, " Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful in a few things ; I will make thee ruler over many things. Enter thou into the joy of thy Lord."

Guest Choirgirl

I lived in Summer St and we were moved out to Greenhill before 1957. I was a member at Weston St. chapel in 1940's & 50's. There was an old member called Mr Wagstaff, who was possibly an ancestor of the original George Wagstaff. The pictures shown brought back memories, especially the one of the inside of the chapel and the choir stalls. As a member of the choir for many years, I remember we used to congregate down stairs, then at the appropriate time come up the stairs. The sopranos and bass singers came through the door on the left of the choir stalls and the altos and tenors came up the other side. The yard to the left of the chapel was used for a cricket match on Whit Monday morning, prior to a breakfast. We then went around the streets with the May Queen, Captain and Banner continuing on up to Weston Park for a mass sing.

Guest Jeremy

I lived in Summer St and we were moved out to Greenhill before 1957. I was a member at Weston St. chapel in 1940's & 50's. There was an old member called Mr Wagstaff, who was possibly an ancestor of the original George Wagstaff.

Thanks for your memories. That was possibly Wordsworth Wagstaff, my great grandfather. He died in 1960 aged 81. You may well remember my grandparents, as I believe that they sang in the choir--they were Norman and May Oakley. May was Wordsworth Wagstaff's daughter.

Jeremy

Guest Choirgirl

Thanks for your memories. That was possibly Wordsworth Wagstaff, my great grandfather. He died in 1960 aged 81. You may well remember my grandparents, as I believe that they sang in the choir--they were Norman and May Oakley. May was Wordsworth Wagstaff's daughter.

Jeremy

Yes I knew Norman & May, I sang in the altos with May. I also knew their sons, Bryan and the other escapes my memory

Guest Jeremy

Yes I knew Norman & May, I sang in the altos with May.

I've sent you a private message.

The photos above came from a presentation board that was put together for Norman and May's golden wedding anniversary back in 1981. The boards also had some excerpts from a history of the chapel that I will post later.

Jeremy

Guest Jeremy

A couple of excerpts from The History of Weston Street by Henry Richardson.

Picture Sheffield has photos of some of the people mentioned, so I have linked them where possible.

1--Weston St. Church as Reformers

The great division in the Methodist body (followers of Wesley) which occurred in 1849, by the suspension of three of its most prominent ministers, created consternation and excitement throughout the whole country and affected Sheffield in a remarkable manner.

In 1802 W. Griffiths was minister in the Sheffield circuit, and was extremely popular.

James Everett

was appointed in 1819 to Carver St. Chapel, and in 1832 Samuel Dunn was also appointed at Carver St. It was in 1849 that a veteran now living amongst us--Joseph Dyson--joined John Unwin's class at Carver St.

The three ministers mentioned appealed from the decision of the Conference to their respective circuits, and sympathy was shewn by the thousands of followers which followed them from place to place. Had they been left to their individual resources the result would not have been so disastrous, but Conference allowed the Superintendents and Chairmen of the Circuits in the Connection unlimited powers in dealing with all sympathisers with the three expelled ministers and refusing their continued membership in the various Methodist Churches. This action aggravated the unfortunate position, and thousands of members were deprived of that Christian Fellowship which had been their lot for a number of years.

It is most remarkable that the few divisions of the Methodist Church since John Wesley's days were all related to matters of government, and not in a single case to that of faith in the eternal Godhead and of His Son, Jesus Christ.

As already stated, the deprivation of Church Membership applied to a very great degree to its local preachers, who were full of zeal and fervour, in spreading the Gospel to all who would listen.

Four years previous to the split, I find on an old plan, 1845, the name of

John Richardson, class leader, and John Richardson, Jun., also class leader; John Neal, a class leader at Carver St., and also William Westby. S. H. Burrows

a local preacher, Joshua Wilkinson and Walter Wilkinson, names well known during the earlier days, not to omit

James Andrew

a local preacher in the Norfolk St. Circuit. Shortly after the expulsion of the three ministers by Conference, I find Everitt, Dunn, and Griffiths at a crowded meeting held in the Music Hall, on August 22nd, 1849, at which a sympathetic resolution was passed. For a short time devotional meetings were held in the Lyceum (this was a room in the Mechanics' Library, Surrey St. , now in the course of demolition, known to-day as the Central Public Library).

This place was too small and eventually the Reformers secured Mount Tabor Chapel as their centre. In June, 1850, Ald. Schofield, a prominent and leading public man, was charged before a meeting of Weslyan Leaders and Trustees with attending reform meetings and was expelled from the Methodist Church.

In September, 1850, the Rev. James Bromley was expelled in Conference and addressed a packed and crowded meeting in Sheffield.

The tension and excitement following there drastic steps throughout the country resulted in a loss of members totalling 55,852 in 1851; in Sheffield alone 4,734.

Sir Henry Fowler, afterwards a Cabinet Minister in Her Majesty's Government, declared "that the Disruption of 1849 was a gigantic blunder on both sides."

The loss to Methodism caused by this unfortunate split was computed to be, according to Dr. B. Gregory in his

"Side Lights on the Conflicts in Methodism,"

over 100,000 adherents, mostly local preachers and supporters of the Weslyan body. These were young men whose love and adhesion to this powerful branch of God's Church were rendered useless in extending the Church of God. Possessing a spirit of chartism they were not dismayed but felt the need of activity in God's Church.

more to follow...

Guest Jeremy

V--Weston St. Church at Garden St. (Temporarily)

It will be noticed how frequent and continuous there appear the names of Richardson, Andrews and Neal. John Richardson, Snr., was residing on the premises in Pinstone Street (pulled down in the [18]80's for street improvements). John Richardson, Jnr., was resident in Fitzwilliam St., James Andrew (an Accountant), residing at 43, Campo Lane, and John Neal at 14, St. Philip's Road. In the year 1859 we find George Wagstaff admitted a member of the Church. The work of this congregation was marked. The membership numbered 112. At this period another name was added to this noble band, that of James Howarth, tool maker, who had removed from Sharrow Vale to 75, Gloucester Street. The following interesting minute is evidence of this fact: "That Bro. Howarth having removed from Sharrow Vale, and come to reside in the Town, he be recognised as a leader in connection with the Society, and that he raise a class at his own house or elsewhere." The membership was still further increased by the names of Mary Neal, Ann Crapper and Joseph Crapper.

An interesting event of this period was handed to the writer of these notes by the late Charles Hobson (a labour leader) to the effect--"Watery Street Reform Chapel had been erected--he held the office of Secretary to the Preachers' Meeting for nine years. John Neal was President. He (Hobson) preached his trial sermon in the small vestry at Watery Street at 7 o'clock on the Sunday morning. Messrs. Westby, Wagstaff and Wilkinson were present. He went to breakfast with Wagstaff, who lived in Fitzwilliam Street."

The Sunday School, with nearly 200 scholars, was prospering in a remarkable manner. The Superintendents were Messrs. Fould and Booth; the General Secretary, Mr. Edward Richardson; and the treasurer, John Richardson, Jnr. On alternate Sundays, the following persons interested themselvesin the School as Teachers with six classes--Mr Hawley, John Feltrup, Matthew Andrew, Mr Walton, E. Gray and James Andrew, Junr., with Miss Walton (friend of Miss Neal), Miss Machon, Mrs. Blenkhorn, Miss Butterfield, and Miss Neal.

In this year (1859) also commenced to preach was Joseph Dyson, a Weslyan Reformer, who reached the age of 92 years, and died in 1930. Another evidence of longevity is the Secretary of the Sunday School at Garden Street and Weston Street, who is still living at the age of 90.

At a Church Meeting, a Committee of 23 were appointed to decide what was to be done after 1860 when the lease of Garden Street Chapel expired. The Trustees were willing to sell the premises. There were now 50 preachers on the plan, and many young men preparing to extend this work of God's Kingdom by the Reformers.

In the year 1859, a minute appears "That the Circuit Committee be applied to for the ownership of the old Chapel." We are not informed as to the reason, but a Committee :consisting of J. Wilkinson, W. Wilkinson, J. Booth, J. Neal, J. Olivant, J. Richardson, G. Wagstaff." were appointed "to look out for a site eligible for a place of worship and school room for this church, and report."

I've had these photos sitting around for a while now. Not sure who took them or when...

Various of my ancestors attended Weston Street chapel.

Jeremy

I believe the white wooden barrier on the left of the first picture is the Bathfield.

It was built on the opposite side of the road to the old Bathfield becoming an even number.

Number 2 Powell Street, I use to live at number 52.

The white wooden fence enclosed a patio with tables and chairs, it was popular with the doctors

and nurses from the Infirmary at the time.

BLINKING FLIP that is impressive! Within 5 minutes of registration, I found a link to a photo of my wife's great-great grandfather, James ANDREW 1810 - 1890. I am in Australia, so could someone please advise me how to access that book "The History of Weston Street" by Henry Richardson? A pdf or just extracts of the bits that mention the ANDREW family would be most welcome please. Best wishes to all.

BLINKING FLIP that is impressive! Within 5 minutes of registration, I found a link to a photo of my wife's great-great grandfather, James ANDREW 1810 - 1890. I am in Australia, so could someone please advise me how to access that book "The History of Weston Street" by Henry Richardson? A pdf or just extracts of the bits that mention the ANDREW family would be most welcome please. Best wishes to all.

Hi PJC and welcome to the site,

the extracts from 'The History of Weston Street, by Henry Richardson'

that Jeremy has added are most likely taken from his own personal copy,

had the book been available online

I'm sure that Jeremy would have included a link to the source.

Guest Jeremy

Hi PJC. Sorry to take so long to reply. I too would love to get hold of a copy of "The History of Weston Street". I only have the extracts that I posted. They were part of a display assembled for my grandparents golden wedding anniversary. My dad got most of the information that was used on the display (including the photos I posted at the beginning of this thread). I think some things came from the Sheffield Local Studies library, but a lot of it came from the special collections of the University of Sheffield. Weston Street Chapel also had its own archive, and I have been trying to find out what happened to the archive after the chapel closed—I think that the photos on PictureSheffield might have come from that archive, but the librarian at the local studies library was not able to confirm this for me.

Jeremy

Guest Jeremy

Thanks Dunsbyowl. Very interesting to see some of my G-Grandfather, Wordsworth Wagstaff's education achievements. I've attached a photo with him on it (back row, left):

I've mentioned the Wordsworth's at Thurgoland before, here.

Also, I hadn't realised that the Sheffield Independent had been added to the British Library newspapers collection--many hours of happy searching await me.

Jeremy

Guest Jeremy

From the Sheffield & Rotherham Independent, Saturday 23 February 1861:

Wesleyan Methodist Reformers' New Chapel

On Monday afternoon, the ceremony of laying the stone of a chapel, with its schools, for the use of Wesleyan Reformers, hitherto worshipping in Garden street chapel, was performed. There was a large attendance of the people of the neighbourhood. The site is a piece of ground abutting on Weston street, near Mitchell street, and as the land adjoining is rapidly been built upon, and as there is no place of worship in immediate contiguity, there seems to be good reason for anticipating that the chapel will supply a great want and prove a blessing to many. It is anticipated to accommodate (with gallery) 600, and the school will be capable of receiving 350. The day was extremely unfavourable, and the land being saturated with water, was trodden into a puddle by those who assembled. The Mayor who was announced to perform the ceremony, being detained by magisterial business at the Town Hall, did not arrive 'till considerably after the time, for which he apologised. After Montgomery's hymn "This stone to Thee in faith we lay," had been sung, and portions of Scripture from Haggai ii., Ezra iii., and 2 Chron. vi., were read by Mr. Muxlow, the prayer was offered by Mr. Buxton, of Regent street.

The Mayor then standing on a heap of stones—(Cheers)—said he did not intend to make any lengthened remarks, but could not forbear expressing his pleasure at being present, and in having been asked to perform this ceremony in his official capacity. The promotors of the chapel had done him an honor, and he had placed his services at their disposal with great satisfaction. He was a member of the Church of England, and to those of his friends in that communion who might deem it strange that he should thus lend himself to promote the erection of a chapel for the use of another denomination differing from his own, he would say that he felt no difficulty whatsoever. Was it not intended that this house should be dedicated to the worship of the Holy Trinity? Would not Christ be preached, and would not salvation through faith in Christ's blood, be the great object sought and in many cases really accomplished? Well, he asked for no other reason or justification. He would do anything in his power to aid and encourage those who had undertaken the erection, and he prayed God to bless them in their work. He hoped the gospel would be faithfully preached—that salvation through faith in Christ would be realized, and that the people who were gathered here, would hear no other gospel than that of which Jesus Christ was the centre and life and glory. On this rock Christ built his church and the gates of hell never could prevail against it.

Mr. Westby said he could give a distinct and short reply to the questions put, and an honest confirmation of the statements made by his Worship the Mayor. He then went on to summarize very briefly the main doctrines held by the Wesleyan Reformers and which would constitute the subjects of preaching within the future walls. On the ground of these vital and blessed truths, he trusted there would be a gathering of the people to the chapel, and gave a cordial and general invitation to the neighbourhood. He did so the more freely, because God had spoken good concerning his church, and if the people would associate with them it would be to their own benefit. The necessity of such buildings was shown by the relation subsisting between the preaching of the gospel and the faith of men. "How could they hear without a preacher?" They (the Weslyan Reformers) came to this locality to proclaim the unsearchable riches of Christ. They believed they had good news for all who would come and attend their ministry, and that their mission was to prepare souls for being gathered into the granary of God. The schools would be open to boys and girls, and he trusted would be a signal blessing to them, training them in the knowledge of the Scriptures. In conclusion, he trusted the chapel would be a centre of Christian influence—blessed and made a blessing, diffusing around it the knowledge of Him whom to know is life eternal. Such ends attained would serve to hasten and to usher in the time when all should know Christ from the least unto the greatest, so that there should be no need of such agencies—Christ receiving as his inheritance all nations, and being universally loved and served.

After a collection had been taken up, the presentation of the trowel and mallet to the Mayor, was made by Mr. S. H. Burrows, of Wortley, iron manufacturer. He said addressing the crowd: You have done your duty, (in contributing) and it now devolves upon me to do mine. A very pleasing one it is—to present to the Mayor, who has so kindly fulfilled the part assigned to him, this trowel and mallet with which he has laid the stone. He did so at the request of the committee, and with very great pleasure. Addressing Mr. Vickers, he said: You, Sir, have shown yourself on the Lord's side, and he, (Mr. Burrows), hoped the borough might always have such a chief magistrate to represent it. (Cheers.) He begged to present these articles to him adding his own prayer, that his life might long be spared to be serviceable to his fellow townsmen, and to the happiness of his family and friends.

The Mayor in acknowledgment, said he thanked them for their handsome present, which , however, was not needed, as what he had done had been a great personal pleasure. He only regretted having kept them waiting, but that was an unforeseen and unavoidable disappointment. He had failed to keep his appointment only through an incumbent public duty. This trowel and mallet he should value, and so would his family—and it was not a small one—as a memorial of the interesting proceedings of this day. He thanked them for the confidence they had displayed, though of another religious body, which was honourable to both himself and them.

After a vote of thanks to the Mayor, proposed by Mr. E. Hibberd, and seconded by Mr. James Stanley, the doxology was sung, and the company dispersed.

Several of the friends then adjourned to the Watery street school room, kindly lent, where they took tea together, the Mayor joining them at table, and spent the evening in very agreeable expressions of their hoped, &c., respecting the new chapel, details of the history of which were given by Mr. Andrews.

The trowel bore the inscription:—"Presented to H. Vickers, Esq., Mayor, on occasion of his laying the foundation stone of Weston street Wesleyan Reformers' Chapel, Feb. 18, 1861." G. Hadfield, Esq., M.P., who had been applied to, to be present on the occasion, was detained by family affliction, but enclosed a cheque for £10; and Wm. Cooper, Esq., of Fir view, who was also detained forwarded £5. The chapel will be 45 feet square, be galleried, and have school rooms under it. The estimated cost is about £1000, and Mr. James Blenkhorne, is the contractor. The time specified for the completion is April 30. The collection on the ground amounted to between £8 and £9.